Withers & Millard

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Webby71

Withers & Millard

Post by Webby71 »

I know this is an old chestnut but I really do have to question the logic in Nobby bringing these 2 to the JJB at such a late stage in their careers, I thought Withs was a total disgrace last night, he show no desire whats so ever, he couldn't bust his way through a paper bag, he's slow and his defence is a joke. I see on the message board talk of a new full back for next season and I have to agree because I dread to think what Withers will be like 12 months older and I also like the looks of Widnes's Grix. I believe that Nobby's decision to bring in Withers did have a massive bearing on Ashtons decision to go and who can blame the lad after the season he had last year it must have come as a massive kick in the stones. When you consider we released Godwin for Millard and I believe Millard is on more than Godwin was then you really do have to question Nobby's thinking. Once again just like at Bradford nobby had no plan B against the Saints but if you dicect the game last night you will see that the majority of their scores game from our errors or poor refereeing decisions, if we had a bit of luck we could have quite easily have won. At 14 - 22 down Barrett had a new set of 6 right under their sticks and decided to try a stupid pass to nobody, they regain possession go full length next minute its 14 - 26, game over when 1 minute earlier if not for Barrett it could have easily been 20 - 22 game on and Wigan on top, its silly little things like that thats costing us dearly and it's so frustrating.
Susi

Re: Withers & Millard

Post by Susi »

Have to agree with you about withers and millard (aka grandad). They are old and do not seem to have any energy to make a break. Withers really annoyed me last night. He got the ball had clear space in front of him andnever made the effort to run. Think he may need a zimmer frame. I just annoys the hell out of me. When they are paid to do a job and clearly lack effort. Why Ashton was left off to the last 20 was puzzling. Ok he's going to union and no we're not to happy about it. But the lad is commited to us for this season he's got pace so use him.
Millard to me slows the game down. I don't like our number nine but you notice the difference when he's on.
Mr. NOble in my opinion should not take feka and higam off at same time game drops rapidly.
Rant over. :(
WARRIOR 07

Post by WARRIOR 07 »

In regard to withers brian noble has always said the side gets picked on form so how can withers replace ashton at full back after missing two games through injury ashton has done very little wrong in terms of performances yes his positioning is poor at times but his pace can make up for this
pedro

Post by pedro »

mrs feka posted:
Have to agree with you about withers and millard (aka grandad). They are old and do not seem to have any energy to make a break. Withers really annoyed me last night. He got the ball had clear space in front of him andnever made the effort to run. Think he may need a zimmer frame. I just annoys the hell out of me. When they are paid to do a job and clearly lack effort. Why Ashton was left off to the last 20 was puzzling. Ok he's going to union and no we're not to happy about it. But the lad is commited to us for this season he's got pace so use him.
Millard to me slows the game down. I don't like our number nine but you notice the difference when he's on.
Mr. NOble in my opinion should not take feka and higam off at same time game drops rapidly.
Rant over. :(
what annoyed me is that he didnt have the effort to run. I was crying out for him to start instead of Ashton.....I was soon eating my words. Ashton came on and we became mre dynamic at the back.
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

Judging from the season so far, Millard has been a poor signing. When he replaces Higham the pace of our play drops dramatically. Far as I'm concerned, I've said it and will continue to say it we shouldn't have signed him and shown some faith in McIlorum.

We keep hearing about the good reports that McIlorum gets playing for the youth teams it's about time that he was given his shot at 1st grade.

Regarding the signing of Withers it would have made sense if Ashton was staying as he could have mentored him with his positional play but now Ashton is leaving I think we should be on the lookout for a young full back and Grix from Widnes would seem to fit the bill.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Withers would still be sued anyway so will anyone sign as they could be an understudy for him for a year?

Thought he looked good at the beginning of the season. First time we played class it showed why Bradford offloaded him.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

mrs feka posted:

Noble seems to make substitutions because it is a certain number of minutes into the game not because it makes sense tactically.

It makes no sense playing Millard at all because he is rubbish and why Noble takes Feka off when he provides the only go forward we have against better sides like Saints I don't know. Feka must be capable of playing longer stints than he does and when he does go off he does not look like he needs to.

Higham should do 80 mins or McIllorum be given a chance but really Higham should only be subbed if he needs to be not because it's Millards "turn" or because it's 20 mins into the game which is how it seems at the moment.

Dave
Laura-xo

Post by Laura-xo »

It is highly unlikely that Millard or Withers will be dropped from the squad unless they have injury.

Noble made the move for them into the squad and by dropping them will be proving that he made a wrong desision! He won't want to be doing that.

Let's just hope he sees sense by tuesday and is starting Ashton, and not playing Withers.

Laura
Loyal Supporters

He goes to the lefttt,
He goes to the riiiightt,
Mark Calderwood,,

Richards is Superman
honestly!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Two massive blunders and the 2 year contracts are unforgivable. I have to agree with Dave O re the substitution policy. I am starting to think Feka for example can play longer BUT he is not given the opportunity to do so.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

As awful as Withers was last night - I think (and hope) that he was not fully fit. He didn't seem terribly comfortable when he ran and didn't seem to have much self confidence in running at the opposition line.

Why you would bring back a player that has been out for best part of a month - for the biggest game of the year is a mystery to me.

Don't forget that Withers was brought in to play centre and replace/cover DV; it's only since Ashton has decided to go to union that he has regularly played fullback - and DV has found some form therefore removing the need for Withers in the centre
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------