Briscoe Return

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
adrenalinxx

Briscoe Return

Post by adrenalinxx »

Heard today that Wigan are considering signing Shaun Briscoe for next season if the funds are available. Apparently he is out of contract at Hull FC and Wigan are starting to plan for next season and are looking into the full back situation, obviously playing Withers is one option but from what I have heard if Wigan are to sign a new player then Briscoe was Nobles prefered option over going for an overseas player.

Early days yet and alot could depend on whether Wigan give DV a new contract.
Leyther Pie

Re: Briscoe Return

Post by Leyther Pie »

Heard about a month ago from a reasonable source that Briscoe has signed for us for next season. I do hope so :D
I've never felt more like singing the Blues
When the Wiganers win and the Leythers lose.
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

I think Briscoe's desire to return to his home-town club is well known, and while I don't regard him as a world-beater, he wants to play for us and he's undoubtedly a talent.

What disturbs me about this thread is the suggestion that we might be contemplating giving DV another contract. Surely that's inconceivable? Unless it's on hugely reduced terms, but even then it would bother me because it would mean we were sticking hold of a very average player rather than replacing him with someone better.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

How can Wigan have already signed him when there is supposed to be some sort of rule that says you can't speak to players until a certain date which is later in the season IIRC?

Dave
Glynola

Post by Glynola »

People over-glamourize Briscoe's time at Wigan. He filled in for Radlinski for quite a number of games but by the end people couldn't wait for Radders to return due to Briscoe's soft defence, average positioning and average pace.

Should steer well clear.
Everything they do is so dramatic and flamboyant. It just makes me want to set myself on fire!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Glynola posted:
People over-glamourize Briscoe's time at Wigan. He filled in for Radlinski for quite a number of games but by the end people couldn't wait for Radders to return due to Briscoe's soft defence, average positioning and average pace.
Yes I remember those sentiments being expressed well. There were many posters at the time saying we should have got rid of Rads then and there as Briscoe was better (a joke of an idea) and cheaper. They were completely and totally silenced after Rads first game back.

Now I know he was a young player then but the point is it never has warranted the numerous threads on how bad a decision to let him go it was.
Should steer well clear.
It depends on who else is available. The standard of SL is lower now than then IMO and so Briscoe although not as good as some believe may be good enough.

Dave
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I agree with Dave, i think Noble et al will be looking for whoever else is available during the off season , just the fact that Briscoe is out of contract and an ex-wigan lad doesnt mean he's our #1 target for fullback - we have to buy whoever is right for the club and Nobles plans.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

i'd have him back!
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Briscoes a good support player and alright in defence but i'm sure he's just had a house built in hull :eh: I thought the fullback for widnes did quite well, he could be worth a look at, he wouldn't demand a fortune and could learn off withers.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Its not all about tries though for a fullback, he is technically the last man and his play still needs to develop, im not saying he's rubbish or anything just that we need to look at other available (or unavailable to buy) players who are right for nobles plans.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame