Highs and Lows v Wakey

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Highs and Lows v Wakey

Post by cpwigan »

Lows - We lost control mid first half through trying to play razzle dazzle too early. Prescott, still looks lightweight and his error in going open instead of blind cst us the first Wakey try. The disciline issue is a hard one. I cannot fathom Bentham therefore I am loathe to criticise the players.

Highs - So many. We sored some splendid tries. People can say what they want BUT Ashton will be sadly missed. He adds so much to our attack. He is always supporting players and offers trent an option and combines uperbly with Calders. Caldrs was much better tonight. Richards kicking was awesome. Goulding showd what he has to offer at sucha tender age. He could be something special if we keep him and bring him on. Trent looked fit. Both he and lu lu were lively. Lockers gave everything. Hock was a constant threat. Fletcher had his best game of the season. Feka was strong. We saw Fielden of old at times.
highland convert

Re: Highs and Lows v Wakey

Post by highland convert »

Sounds like they are forgiven for the Hud game. Well done the boys. HC
turf

Post by turf »

Low:

Bentham!!!!!

High:

Totally agree with you on Ashton.

One question though, was he put on report by Bentham for the scuffle in the first half?

I am sure I saw Bentham cross his arms above his head and do the on report sign.

Please not!!!!!!! We have no full backs if this is the case.

I think referees have got it in for Ashton these days. Sin binned by Ganson, on report (I think) by Bentham, penalised by Silverwood, what else?!?!?!

I think Ashton had by FAR his best game of this season so far tonight ans showed us what we will missed when he leaves.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

HC once they got through a sticky patch mid way through the first half they were awesome. In the second half really spreading the ball and lots of tries from a decent distance. The last one by Ashton was a gem. Barrett was on fire too and his try from the scrum was awesome. Wakey were decent too. I thought their defence was weak BUT with ball in hand they flung the ball around at speed, probably faster than we did and really tested our defence. They did not roll over. Hence, the win was even better.

I still cannot fathom referees. In the first few minutes a Wakey player lifted a Wigan player so his legs were way above his head, his head going into the turf. WE were told this was now an automatic penalty yet he gave nothing. Later March tried to drag Ashton off a player he had tackled. An edict last year forbids this, it is an automatic penalty. Yet nothing. Instead a penalty to Wakefield for Ashton getting annoyed with March. If you were keen and eager when you had the opposition on their line, he ineviteably gave a penalty.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

LuLu was poor tonight. Often kicking to no-one in-particular, kicking down winger/full backs throats and taking the wrong option with ball in hand too.

Too many hospital passes and a shocking intercept again from him also. I though he was probably our weakest player out there tonight. Defensively, he was poor also, guilty of the miss that saw Wakefield's first try.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Highs: Dave Vaealiki - I backed him in the predictions league as first scorer AND put on a £1.50 bet for him to score first - and he did! won £15... Thanks Dave! Great team work leading to Barretts try in the corner... Goulding was good also and impressed. Team picked themselves up even Fielden broke a tackle.

Lows: silly play ie/ offloads when we dont need - hospital passes - prescott lightweight? Referee was stupid. Attendance 14,100!
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Butt he had a good game and you need to understand rugby before you comment. First. Defence. He was spotted and targetted by Wakey and yet he never let anybody down. Targeting opposition half backs when you have the ball is common place. Second, the first Wakey try was down to Paul Prescott. Ideally you should outnumber attackers on the blindside by 1 so 4 v 3 or 3 v 2. Prescott chose to stand open and left 2 defenders on the blindside covering 3 attackers when the play was yards from our line. Nobody can defend a 3 v 2 so close to your own line.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I didnt question his defence just his attacking ability - him being lightweight, I was unimpressed with him going forward... and why dont I understand my rugby? I have my opinion

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

A&L I was referring to Butt Monkey

I agree with you re Prescott
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Ok apologies, feel awkward now. thoght it was 'but...' but with a double 't'.

Forgive me Sir.

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame