Ashton and Union?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Ashton and Union?

Post by cpwigan »

Wondering with Northampton likely to get relegated if we could nick him back :) anybody know what the score is re his contract if they get relegated :conf:
medlocke

Re: Ashton and Union?

Post by medlocke »

I still hope he go's, the odd good game does make him a great player, he has more bad ones than good :exc:
turf

Post by turf »

It's absolutely amazing isn't it?? A week ago, we (and I include myself in this) were wanting him out. Now we want him to resign for us and we want to keep him.

Anyway back onto the topic. The latest about his contract situation is that he has signed with Northampton i=even if they are relegated.

It has just saddened me to type the above out after watching him tonight?
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Yoyo effect. when he has a bad game we slate him, when he has a good game we praise him.

scape goat... Im a victim of this if im honest BUt i try and fault every game performance lol.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
The King

Post by The King »

I still want him to go too. One good game in god knows how many changes nothing.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Check my posts. I have always believed in him and unlike many not criticised him. Having been ostracised by Nobby he suffered a dip. Now knowing he will play he was back to his best. His kick defence was great too tonight. A real talent and a sad loss if/when it happens.

O'Carrol, Ashton, Goulding and Tomkins were/are the 4 best bets from our juniors IMO.
The King

Post by The King »

How is it a dip? He has been poor or just average from game one of this season, before he was rightly dropped due to his poor form, and was poor at the back end of last season. It is no dip at all and people that say it is are just making excuses for him.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

He was dropped because he signed for Northampton. Nobby picked him from the start of the season as his fullback over Withers. He played fine, still scored some tries, supported well. On the Tuesday he told Nobby he was leaving, that week he was dropped in favour of Withers. I am no lawyer BUT the falling out of favour seems linked to his signing for Northampton. Since then he has been pushed out and treated as a scapegoat by some fans. Withers gets injured, Ashton knows he cannot be pushed out and he comes up with a great effort.

We will miss him and anybody who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves IMO. The fullbacks we would need to replace him are in the NRL and too expensive.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

turf posted:
It's absolutely amazing isn't it?? A week ago, we (and I include myself in this) were wanting him out. Now we want him to resign for us and we want to keep him.
No one wanted him to leave until after he signed for Northampton and wore that bloody shirt. Even then the more pragmatic amongst us said our squad wasn't big enough to fire him off despite being thoroughly fed up with the way he handled signing for RU Saints.
Anyway back onto the topic. The latest about his contract situation is that he has signed with Northampton i=even if they are relegated.

It has just saddened me to type the above out after watching him tonight?
Well when he scored that try at the end I thought he won't score many like that in RU! Not down the middle of the field as that is where the pack lives in RU and where the two extra players are so there is normally too much traffic. Ashton's strengths will be wasted in union.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Dave O is right on that score and his enjoyment of scoring will be frowned upon too. He seems to have a genuine partnership with Calderwood too. One thing I noticed tonight all the players embraced him full and they clearly have not gone against him just because he has signed for Northampton.

Is it me BUT Andy Clarke has not done a good job if he has no get out clauses. I mean lower league Union is truly awful.