coley

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
ancientnloyal

Re: coley

Post by ancientnloyal »

jollygiant3107 posted:
crabtree has signed for next year.
Proof?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Matthew-Warrior

Post by Matthew-Warrior »

Will believe it when I see it.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

i thought Coley had a chance to sign for us a couple of years ago and turned us down
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

mike binder

Post by mike binder »

im sure they are both cheap and both worth there money ,we are short of a little bit of beef :roll:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

OAM posted:
i thought Coley had a chance to sign for us a couple of years ago and turned us down
True, why would he have changed his mind now. Not sure he is quality either, just big. Don't waste our cap for next year signing average players again!
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Matthew-Warrior

Post by Matthew-Warrior »

Both Coley & Crabtree are average at best.
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

Matthew-Warrior posted:
Both Coley & Crabtree are average at best.
I'm afraid I disagree. Neither are world-beaters, but 'average at best' is the sort of comment Saints trolls come out with whenever we announce a new signing - whoever it happens to be (some of them even said it about Barrett).

In the age of the salary cap, a club simply can't afford to hire four props of top international standard. You therefore go with two strong front-liners, and have two lesser but hopefully pretty useful guys to rotate them with. Its into this latter category that Crabtree and Coley would fit.

People hoping that four big names will occupy our prop forward shirts next year will be disappointed.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

pieater-alex posted:
It's a serious rumour though

http://www.reds.co.uk/newsroom/news200_250407.html

Salford have made an official statement seems odd.
Very interesting when you read this bit:

Director of Football Steve Simms said: "Andy Coley is contracted to the club until 31 August 2007 and the coaching staff have indicated to the player their intention for this contract to be extended beyond that term."

The bits on bold are the interesting parts. First of all if he is contracted only until Auguest he is a free agent as of 1st Sept so could join us for the last two games of the season and maybe playoffs if we make it (although there is a signing deadline for the playoffs I think).

Secondly the clubs "intention" to extend it surely requires Coley's agreement? They can't force him to sign a new contract.

Dave
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

DaveO posted:
pieater-alex posted:

Director of Football Steve Simms said: "Andy Coley is contracted to the club until 31 August 2007 and the coaching staff have indicated to the player their intention for this contract to be extended beyond that term."

The bits on bold are the interesting parts. First of all if he is contracted only until Auguest he is a free agent as of 1st Sept so could join us for the last two games of the season and maybe playoffs if we make it (although there is a signing deadline for the playoffs I think).

Secondly the clubs "intention" to extend it surely requires Coley's agreement? They can't force him to sign a new contract.

Dave
Yeah. When you look at it that way, it does sound like a bit of a warning to Coley.

I wonder if he and his agent are the ones who've been making the running here?

Alternatively, as the news release seemed to be aimed as much at the Salford fans as anyone else, perhaps the club are resigned to losing him and are seeking to cover their backs by laying out visible evidence that they've tried to keep hold.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

DaveO posted:
pieater-alex posted:

Dave
That does seem very odd. Why contract a player for part of a season? Surely their contracts should run to the end of September (assuming that Salford won't get deep into the post season!). Seems like with a contract that doesn't even run until the end of this year, Coley would be well advised to be looking around for a new deal.

IMO Coley has great potential, but has never fullfilled it. Perhaps thats becuase he is at Salford and he needs a more consistent team to really shine. But then again, we have taken players who do shine in their teams and made them look bad at Wigan - so I think it would be a risky signing.

All in all I'd say go for it - sign him up as a 3rd/4th prop for next term. We don't need him this year, the forwards seem the strongest part of our squad as the moment, we'd be better advised trying to get a decent strike player in the backs.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐