Excuse me ... Does anyone know how we won last night !!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
100% Warrior

Excuse me ... Does anyone know how we won last night !!

Post by 100% Warrior »

I still can't believe that we ended up winning last nights match with a performance like we gave.

I can only put it down to the character of the players, twice we've been down in play off matches and in all honesty appeared to be on the way out and somehow pick ourselves up and fight back.

I have to be honest I am not Andy Farrell's biggest fan but I thought he drove the team on superbly last night ... apart from the couple of silly penalties he gave away in the first half.

Judging from last nights performance it would appear that Luke Robinson is not quite ready for a permanent place at scrum half, I know the kid has great talent but the pressure did show last night especially with his passing and his poor decision to kick for touch in the last seconds ... what if Ganson had ordered the scrum to take place !!!

I have to give special mention though to Brian Carney. The performance given by the Irish Porsche last night was awesome, especially that second try ... how many Whinos did he beat !!

However, we have already made Super League history by making the Grand Final (wasn't Stevo and Millward gutted after the match, they so wanted Wigan out), I can't see us playing that badly again ... so roll on Saturday and let's win that trophy !!
Ellie from the Block!

Re: Excuse me ... Does anyone ...

Post by Ellie from the Block! »

I think they call last night a fluke!!!

I think I am in the minority when I think that all of the hype surrounding Robinson is over the top. He made some stupid, stupid, stupid errors and the only similarity he has with Andy Gregory at the minuate is that he is (A) English, (B) A scrum half, (C) Plays for Wigan (D) Resembles Andy Greg a bit. That doesn't make hime Andy Gregory, it doesn't make him "World Class". It makes him a youngster with a lot to learn before next week.
I was impressed with Carney and Dallas who both had great games. Newton and Farrell needed to calm it down a bit.

Why oh why did O'Loughlin not hear that the next set of six had been called before kicking on what he thought was the last tackle or nearly missing scoring that try when he decided to run a bit further!!!!!

Robinson - pull your socks up before next week -that scrum last night could have been played if Ganson had been through one of his "episodes" and then probably by this time today I'd have wanted your head on a plate!!!!
Portsmouth Warrior

Re: Excuse me ... Does any...

Post by Portsmouth Warrior »

Ellie, I wonder, would it have been a fluke if that were the final???
Glad to see you are so happy with the win.

Just one observation, it's rather noisey in the middle of a pitch when you are playing in front of a crowd that size and it's easy to miss a refs call in the heat of battle...did you notice that O'Loughlin scored two great tries, or do they not warrant praise.

COME ON WIGAN, YOU CAN DO IT !!!!!!!
Pies are nice, and so are mice !!
Ellie from the Block!

Post by Ellie from the Block! »

If you read my other postings before jumping the gun, then you'll see I am very happy about going to Old Trafford. Frankly though, we were lucky last night and most people in their heart of hearts know this. Leeds are a damn good side who gave us a run for our money.

Fair enough O'Loughlin may not have heard the ref...I didn't call him stupid - I called Robinson's errors stupid. I said "why oh why" in reference to the fact that I was canning the next few minutes of hell that I was going through last night. I think he was stupid not to put the try straight down instead of trying to run it under the posts with so much pressure on that he nearly ran into touch.

You don't have to point out who scored - don't worry I was watching the game! But if we have errors like that next week it may not be such a happy ending.

I've not said we were crap. Carney, Dallas, Tickle and Farrell, were just a few who were outstanding... but for each one of these Leeds had Adamson, Mathers, Diskin etc.. who also had a very good game and took the match to us.

Sorry you don't like honesty...I am just not a blinkered idiot, but we were lucky to come away with a win as it could have gone either way and I think the score reflects my opinion on this.
kirky

Post by kirky »

Why did we win???

Because Ganson was equally appalling to both sides!!!
Man and ball, man and ball!
Deltic3

Post by Deltic3 »

In this game you make your own luck. Yes, we made silly schoolboy errors but so did Leeds (e.g Sinfield doing an O'Loughlin).

Luke did exactly right at the end of the game because there is no way that the scrum would have ever have formed. In the cauldron of noise that was Headingley, Ganson simply didn't here the hooter, Luke must have seen the clock at zero and just made sure that the ball was dead. You cannot score with the ball in the stand!!

Ganson did not have a good game but as Kirky said he was poor to both sides so you can take him out of the picture.

As for O'Loughlin slipping, in a game that was won by 1 point then he did the right thing by trying to make the kick easier, if he had just put the ball down who knows what may have happened.

We played below par last night but still won, that is better than blitzing the opposition because it gives Greg something to work with for next week - don't worry we won't play like that again!!

BRING ON THE BULLSH*T!!!
Portsmouth Warrior

Post by Portsmouth Warrior »

Ellie from the Block! posted:
If you read my other postings before jumping the gun, then you'll see I am very happy about going to Old Trafford. Frankly though, we were lucky last night and most people in their heart of hearts know this. Leeds are a damn good side who gave us a run for our money.

Fair enough O'Loughlin may not have heard the ref...I didn't call him stupid - I called Robinson's errors stupid. I said "why oh why" in reference to the fact that I was canning the next few minutes of hell that I was going through last night. I think he was stupid not to put the try straight down instead of trying to run it under the posts with so much pressure on that he nearly ran into touch.

You don't have to point out who scored - don't worry I was watching the game! But if we have errors like that next week it may not be such a happy ending.

I've not said we were crap. Carney, Dallas, Tickle and Farrell, were just a few who were outstanding... but for each one of these Leeds had Adamson, Mathers, Diskin etc.. who also had a very good game and took the match to us.

Sorry you don't like honesty...I am just not a blinkered idiot, but we were lucky to come away with a win as it could have gone either way and I think the score reflects my opinion on this.
Ooooooooooooooohhh...Pants

You may want to go back and actually read what I wrote before you rip in to me in such a personal manner.
1. When did I call Leeds crap. Fact is they finished above Wigan in the league
2.When did I say you had called O'Loughin crap?
3.When did I say you had said Wigan were crap?
4.Thanks for calling me a blickered idiot when you don't even know me.
5. For what my blickered opinion is worth, I think if Wigan play as they did last night they will lose to Bradford, however I think we are capabable of better.
6. How can you say that the team that you so call support can go into semi final rugby for 80 minutes of putting their bodies on the line, come from behind and win the game in the last few minutes your in some way lucky or flukey..

It may not have been the prettiest of wins, but thats cup rugby.

I can only assume you have never played....

Oh, and thanks again for the personal attack, brilliantly constructed and factually correct.

The lady protest to strongly I feel..
Pies are nice, and so are mice !!
Inceywincey

Post by Inceywincey »

100% Warrior posted:
I still can't believe that we ended up winning last nights match with a performance like we gave.

I can only put it down to the character of the players, twice we've been down in play off matches and in all honesty appeared to be on the way out and somehow pick ourselves up and fight back.

I have to be honest I am not Andy Farrell's biggest fan but I thought he drove the team on superbly last night ... apart from the couple of silly penalties he gave away in the first half.

Judging from last nights performance it would appear that Luke Robinson is not quite ready for a permanent place at scrum half, I know the kid has great talent but the pressure did show last night especially with his passing and his poor decision to kick for touch in the last seconds ... what if Ganson had ordered the scrum to take place !!!

I have to give special mention though to Brian Carney. The performance given by the Irish Porsche last night was awesome, especially that second try ... how many Whinos did he beat !!

However, we have already made Super League history by making the Grand Final (wasn't Stevo and Millward gutted after the match, they so wanted Wigan out), I can't see us playing that badly again ... so roll on Saturday and let's win that trophy !!
I know why! Because when we went behind we
started to grind it out like you have to on
occasions."Form is up&down but class is always
there"(Radders).
mario

Post by mario »

why is everybody having a go at robinson? he did'nt have nearly as bad a game as lam did against warrington and i don't recall everyone saying he was finished. like lam luke will probably come back next week and have a stormer. if you watch the nrl,even andrew johns has bad games. and as for farrells stupid penalties the first one at least should have been a wigan penalty!
wanny

Post by wanny »

Robinson was trying too hard, you could see he was trying all these smooth moves but the rest of the team were a step behin him. You cant put him down for that.

Trust me once they get use to his style of play (during preseason next year) you will see a legend in the making and a lot more superb tries.