leeds want nobby

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
mrs_carney

leeds want nobby

Post by mrs_carney »

"Leeds rhinos could be about to make an audacious bid to tempt former great britain coach Brian noble to headingly to take over the reins at the rhinos next season.
Rhinos chief executive Gary Hetherington is thought to believe Noble...would be prepared to return to yorkshire to take on the rhinos, with a brief to inculcate the winning culture that was apparant during nobles time in charge of the bradford bulls"

Buy League express to read the full story. Not good. You know how fickle people can be. On a positive note the only sensible thing i've heard Hetherington say

"Hetherington...has criticised supporters who believe that their teams have a divine right to victory and who boo the their team off the pitch when they suffer an unexpected defeat"

Apparantly he's referring to Warrington after they got beat. But it does relate to most "big" clubs in SL i think.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
Cruncher

Re: leeds want nobby

Post by Cruncher »

The only reply I'd give to this is that Nobby's on a shed-load at Wigan.

If Leeds can match that, or better it, then we might lose him. I'd be pretty disappointed if this happened, but given the constant rumours about how difficult the Wigan management are to work with, it wouldn't surprise me at all.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

mrs_carney posted:
"Leeds rhinos could be about to make an audacious bid to tempt former great britain coach Brian noble to headingly to take over the reins at the rhinos next season.
Rhinos chief executive Gary Hetherington is thought to believe Noble...would be prepared to return to yorkshire to take on the rhinos, with a brief to inculcate the winning culture that was apparant during nobles time in charge of the bradford bulls"

Buy League express to read the full story. Not good.
Is there anything in there along the lines of "but he is unlikely to give up the chance to make Wigan great again"?
You know how fickle people can be.
If Noble leaves it won't be due to negative comments from the fans. You only have to see the reception he gets at games to know the majority do not want him to leave and he must sense that. I don't think he is perfect as a coach but I certainly don't want us to be in the market for another one next season.

No, if Noble leaves it will either be because he fancies the Leeds job more or because he wants away from Mo and what would be interesting would be the reasons why he does.

There are two that spring to mind. The first is he fancies the chance to coach the Rhinos because they are a better team. An easier job effectively.

I would be very surprised if he went for that reason because Noble does not strike me as a man to shirk a challenge.

The other is because he can't work with Mo at Wigan.

If Noble is given the chance to go to Leeds and turns it down then that would scotch that persistent rumour.

If he does leave at the end of the season then it will only add fuel to the fire regarding interference with the coaches running of the team from Mo.

It would be a brave man to step into Nobles shoes and to be honest I think we would struggle to get a quality replacement.

Our stock as a top club is on the wane. The attraction to coach here must be less than in the past because the expectation remains as high but the prospects of meeting those expectations are much reduced. There is easier jobs to take than the Wigan one.

Despite any reservations about Nobles tactics or selections I think we have to have some stability in the coaching department for at least another two or three seasons so now its up to Mo to make sure he stays.

Dave
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Nope Dave there is nothing about Nobby staying to make wigan great. It does sound quite one sided though as in 'Leeds hope' and he's on their shortlist of 5 basically. No comments from wigan.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

It does say something to the effect: "Whether Wigan would be prepared to lose him is in doubt."

Don't quite know what that means. I suppose, if he's on a contract, then we can make him stay. Though, for all the chat about Noble's contract at Wigan, no-one seems to know for sure how long it's for.

Alternatively, it could mean that Wigan would fight to keep him, by offering him even more cash. I certainly hope they'd do this. Even if they had someone else lined up - say, someone of high calibre, like Wayne Bennett - it would mean yet more disruption.

We must keep Noble. But these days, I have very little faith in Lindsay. I just don't understand why he now seems so incapable of doing a job that he once gave lessons in.
jollygiant3107

Post by jollygiant3107 »

from what ive heard its a done deal and nobby will be with the rhinos next year.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Why should Noble leave? He's done everything with Bradford to a point where personally it would be boring. With Wigan it's all new, a challenge, a chance to push himself and see how great he is by building up his team over a few seasons and he certainly wouldn't want to be in the 'failed' category of Wigan managers would he? Monie, Clarke or West and Noble or... Noble, Millward, Bamford (debatable) and Doraghty (debatable once again)
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
jollygiant3107

Post by jollygiant3107 »

have just come off the phone to hear that the rumour is that wayne bennett is the man being lined up to replace nobby. :exc:
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

*sigh*
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Bear

Post by Bear »

jollygiant3107 posted:
have just come off the phone to hear that the rumour is that wayne bennett is the man being lined up to replace nobby. :exc:
Give it a rest.
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!