Re: Shaun Brisco

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Warriors07

Post by Warriors07 »

I think he would be perfect to replace ashton. He gives 100% everytime he plays for hull and he isnt doing to bad at the moment and is playing in a underachiving team.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

he as already signed
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

jolleymax posted:
this may me a bit early but considering brisco is out of contract at the end of the season who thinks he will make a good replacement for the union bound ashton.

i would love to see him pull back on a Warriors shirt, but would he be a good enough replacement for ashton????????
No.

He's not even an automatic choice for the Hull fullback spot - alternating with Motu Tony (who started last weekend at fb).
Banksy

Post by Banksy »

His performances are consistently good for Hull and he’s been in great form this season, shame he has picked up a jaw injury. But he will be a good replacement when/if Ashton leaves.
turf

Post by turf »

Banksy has got it spot on. If/when Ashton leaves.

The "If" bit coming in the light of today's League Express article's interview with Chris Ashton.
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

turf posted:
Banksy has got it spot on. If/when Ashton leaves.

The "If" bit coming in the light of today's League Express article's interview with Chris Ashton.
Unfortunately, this ball isn't solely in Chris Ashton's court any more.

The only real possibility of him getting out of this deal is if he's prepared to buy himself out of it. And that may mean he'll have to do more than simply give the money back. It'll be hugely embarrassing for Northants, so they'll likely want some form of compensation, in effect a transfer fee - and I can't see Wigan coughing up for that after the way Ashton and his agent have treated them.

It may also happen that Northants will get bloody-minded and refuse to let him leave until his contract has expired, no matter what he offers them. Unlikely, but it's happened in the past - players have annoyed their employers so much that they've been frozen out of the game for years.

And then what about Wigan? If it's true they've already signed Brisco, or are in negotiations with someone better and have budgeted for 2008 accordingly, then there's no room for Ashton anyway. It could also be that, from their perspective, the wound is so raw that they wouldn't want him back under any circs ... unless he was prepared to play for peanuts.

Even if the kid has changed his mind - which, to be honest, there's no proof of - it would only be the start of an extraordinarily complex process to bring him back to Wigan, and I'm not convinced all the parties involved would be sufficiently motivated.
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

Nothhants are srill signing to strengthen thier squad. Just signed a top south african, They dont intend to stay down. Why should they back water and let him out. Then again can they afford to play a player who's heart is not in it. Can they afford the learning curve. Look how long it took Faz. Ashton does not have his range of skills. so open judgement. they might release and go for experience. Now would Wigan commit to resign before a release was granted. Could aston get his release then find no place here. Could end up at hull :(
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jolleymax posted:
i would love to see him pull back on a Warriors shirt, but would he be a good enough replacement for ashton????????
Why? He isn't that good IMO. Never understood all the fuss when he left in the first place.

Dave
chrisJJ

Post by chrisJJ »

he would be a typical wigan siging you know him being injured n all
To be the best
you have to beat the best
Banksy

Post by Banksy »

It would be good old Newton breaking his jaw.