Signings

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
butt monkey

Re: Signings

Post by butt monkey »

GeoffN posted:
butt monkey posted:
I for one, would forsake stability to make minor adjustments - including DV out in order to achieve that balance in the three-quarters that is not there at the moment.

As for being able to afford a new player, it is/was common concensus that DV is highly paid, (probably one of the highest) players at the club. I am not saying blast all his funds on a replacement, but that money is there for one when/if DV goes.
But we have other areas where the money would be better spent; fullback especially. We at least have a ready-made replacement centre in Goulding, we don't currently have anyone to replace Ashton, and we still need another experienced prop.
Don't really understand what your point is Geoff, if, as is being quoted, we have Andy Coley lined up, we will not be signing any more prop forwards, so that is your prop. As for fullback, despite wishful thinking from most, it is likely to be Shaun Briscoe.

I cannot see either player's wages combined, fully utilise the freed-up salary cap from the prospective players that are to go at seasons end.

Hence, my line of thinking is that MO would like to have at least one BIG NAME singing for next season, most likely to fill a centre position.

If Goulding was deemed capable by Brian Noble, for first team selection, then why is he not getting more starting game-time? I believe that he is out of contract at the end of the season (feel free to correct me), and does not fit into the long term plans of Brian Noble.

It is fair to say, that Harrison Hansen is playing (almost) centre when he comes off the bench. Perhaps that is more in line with Nobby's plans. After all, you would never have seen Vaeliki break the initial tackle and have the pace to create room, and then have the awareness of his support, that saw Chris Ashton score against Catalan Dragons. And that from a supposed 2nd rower - showing a centre (DV) how to play centre
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Glynola

Post by Glynola »

butt monkey posted:
GeoffN posted:
butt monkey posted:

If Goulding was deemed capable by Brian Noble, for first team selection, then why is he not getting more starting game-time? I believe that he is out of contract at the end of the season (feel free to correct me), and does not fit into the long term plans of Brian Noble.
I shall correct you then, Goulding is contracted till the end of 2008 and is very much part of Noble's plans.
Everything they do is so dramatic and flamboyant. It just makes me want to set myself on fire!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

butt monkey posted:

Don't really understand what your point is Geoff, if, as is being quoted, we have Andy Coley lined up, we will not be signing any more prop forwards, so that is your prop. As for fullback, despite wishful thinking from most, it is likely to be Shaun Briscoe.
My main point is that we don't have a fullback for next season.

Ignoring any rumours, that may or may not come to pass, about Briscoe, Coley or whoever, the fact remains that we have 2 decent centres already contracted in Goulding and Bailey; signing an expensive centre would be a luxury, compared to replacing Ashton. That's become even more of a priority with Withers' retirement, but he was never going to be good enough for 1st choice fb anyway.

Also, as I've said, a fullback has much more influence on a game than a centre does, which is why it makes more sense to get the best available.
ste lord

Post by ste lord »

Bring back Doc Murray

:lol: :lol:

Keep Wigan "Wigan"

medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Was Matt King given a deadline of the 29th june, for a decision to sign with us or was it a rumour
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

why would he have a deadline? that suggests pushing for a signature which is wrong. So my thinking is that it's only a rumour but this is Wigan, who knows.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
fitzy

Post by fitzy »

I think I saw that to I think he has to annouce his decision to storm by 30th june
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

fitzy posted:
I think I saw that to I think he has to annouce his decision to storm by 30th june
was it on here or in Leaguer/Express?
fitzy

Post by fitzy »

I read it in league weekly
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Must of been where i saw it then, only 3 days left :lol: