Signings

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
GeoffN

Re: Signings

Post by GeoffN »

wgnwrs posted:
pedro posted:
You didnt say better you said playing as well if im not mistaken. Otherwise you could add Fielden and Morley too the list.

Mathers is far, far better than Briscoe. Even on his 1 leg. MAthers is aplying first grade in the NRL and Briscoe is fighting for a spot in super league.
OK, let's put it this way regarding Peacock:
The British props who are better than Peacock on current form:
James Graham....that is all
The British props who are better than Peacock on past form and overall:
James Graham and Stu Fielden.

Morley?
pedro

Post by pedro »

Aus clubs also thoght this and so did most others. Past form as that is what we can judge them on as future form is something I cannot see.

Peacock is not having a good season at the moment as neither is Fielden. Doesnt mean either are not going to hit form but Peacock is now getting to 30 and time is running out.

Regarding the fullback just because hes a Wiganer doesnt mean we want him back. I would rather have Melling than him as hes younger and is more versatile.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

wgnwrs posted:
GeoffN posted:
Morley?
In which section? past form? I still believe Peacock has been the better player and at this current moment I think he is a better player than Morley but I think it all comes down to opinion and what you want from a prop.
Yep, if you want someone to keep the treatment table warm or represent your club at the weekly disciplinary meetings then Mozza's your man. If, however, you want a player who doesn't spend 80% of the season injured or banned, then you need to look elsewhere...
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Anybody suggesting that we retain David Vaeliki (no matter how much we reduced his contract), wants his (or her) bumps feeling!!!!!

I wouldnt entertain him another season, even if he was used as our sand-bucket man.

Methinks, if we cannot find better centres than him, then it is time to give up hoping for a successful team.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Not one for us really, but, Craig Gower has asked Penrith for a release from the remaining two years of his contract.

Rumours of a move to European Rugby Union are supposed to be the reasons. But you never know which SL clubs may go calling!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

butt monkey posted:
Anybody suggesting that we retain David Vaeliki (no matter how much we reduced his contract), wants his (or her) bumps feeling!!!!!
There is no logic in that statement. It is like saying we should sack Ashton because he has decided to leave.

You play the best team going and currently that includes Ashton and next year it might just have to include DV because as with Ashton now, there may not be anyone any better.
I wouldnt entertain him another season, even if he was used as our sand-bucket man.
Well if there isn't a better alternative available then you would have to wouldn't you?

What we might like and what we can get are often two different things.
Methinks, if we cannot find better centres than him, then it is time to give up hoping for a successful team.
You can probably find them all right but the important questions are, are they available and can we afford them?

Dave
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

DaveO posted:
You play the best team going and currently that includes Ashton and next year it might just have to include DV because as with Ashton now, there may not be anyone any better.

Dave
Dave, at first I thought you miss-understood what I meant, ie: that Vaeliki is not worth offering a new contract, no matter how much reduced his terms he would accept. I never said anything about his selection in the first team this season.

You add, that we might just have to retain him if there is no one else better or available - sorry, there are players in the NL with better overall capabilities/prospects than Vaeliki.

I for one, would forsake stability to make minor adjustments - including DV out in order to achieve that balance in the three-quarters that is not there at the moment.

As for being able to afford a new player, it is/was common concensus that DV is highly paid, (probably one of the highest) players at the club. I am not saying blast all his funds on a replacement, but that money is there for one when/if DV goes.

GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

butt monkey posted:
I for one, would forsake stability to make minor adjustments - including DV out in order to achieve that balance in the three-quarters that is not there at the moment.

As for being able to afford a new player, it is/was common concensus that DV is highly paid, (probably one of the highest) players at the club. I am not saying blast all his funds on a replacement, but that money is there for one when/if DV goes.
But we have other areas where the money would be better spent; fullback especially. We at least have a ready-made replacement centre in Goulding, we don't currently have anyone to replace Ashton, and we still need another experienced prop.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

wgnwrs posted:
pedro posted:
Whos available? Wella s Fletch is opening a quota spot I could name at leat 10 fullbacks who are in a higher class than Briscoe.

Name a British FORWARD who has had a better season than Peacock???.....do you mean prop of Forward as once again the list is endless.

We would be going backwards as apart from bringing Peacock in without releasing someone. Coley will be used as prop so we will not get him and Peacock.
Go on then name 10 full backs who we can REALISITCLY sign that are in a higher class than Briscoe.

Sorry, yes i did mean Prop forward regarding Peacock but again the same implies, give me some names! It's no use just saying there is loads without backing up your points. I can't think of any, maybe James Graham?

I never said we would get Peacock, just said it would be an immense signing.
The ten full backs are easily decided as there is one at each of the australian Rugby League teams, all miles better than Briscoe, Withers is another, David Hogson, Wellans, Pat Richards,maybe even Feka if he gets fitter.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Panchitta Marra posted:
...maybe even Feka if he gets fitter.
That would be an amazing sight!