Should Wigan offer Ashton a new contract?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
FROM A TO B

Should Wigan offer Ashton a new contract?

Post by FROM A TO B »

Controversial as ever and awaiting Turfs response!

With Withers having to retire, we have no immediate replacement for Ashton. There are of course the Briscoe rumours, but if no Briscoe, we are going to struggle to get a half decent fullback on the sort of money that we would have been paying Ashton. With the salary cap, we can't go out and buy world class players to cover every position and with Ashton still maturing, we could have a very good FB without having to pay a small fortune.
I know Ashton has his knockers, but apart from the temper tantrums, he's not had a bad season so far.
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
- psycho -

Re: Should Wigan offer Ashton ...

Post by - psycho - »

union = £££
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
Glynola

Post by Glynola »

It's a moot point as he has signed a contract with Northampton.
Everything they do is so dramatic and flamboyant. It just makes me want to set myself on fire!
FROM A TO B

Re: Should Wigan offer Ash...

Post by FROM A TO B »

Just wondered how concrete the contact is with them being relegated. SL players have clauses in their contracts and I would have thought kick and clap would have the same
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

hmmmmm, maybe maurice needs to slip a little check under northampton's door for their troubles? id retain ashton if possible. but y'know, money is money, he's gonna get it no matter what league they are in.
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

I think we are forgetting Ashton here. Don't forget that it was he who decided to go to Union for the money on offer.
Even if Wigan did want to buy him out of his contract, he may not want to stay because he would stand to lose a very sizeable amount of income, over the next 3 years.

mike binder

Post by mike binder »

we had a good fullback in chris Melling now th GB fullback again another ML cock up,chris was u21s player of the year
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Let Ashton go to yawnion, wouldn't to see him here next year, he's made his bed let him lay in it :exc:
turf

Post by turf »

We'd have him back immediately if he had a change of heart.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

FROM A TO B posted:
Controversial as ever and awaiting Turfs response!

With Withers having to retire, we have no immediate replacement for Ashton. There are of course the Briscoe rumours, but if no Briscoe, we are going to struggle to get a half decent fullback on the sort of money that we would have been paying Ashton. With the salary cap, we can't go out and buy world class players to cover every position and with Ashton still maturing, we could have a very good FB without having to pay a small fortune.
I know Ashton has his knockers, but apart from the temper tantrums, he's not had a bad season so far.
What about Chris Melling, has he signed long term for quins, I for one would like to see him back.
Anybody any suggestions on Chris Melling?