Another off the list.......

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
GeoffN

Re: Another off the list.....

Post by GeoffN »

butt monkey posted:
They have on their books this season: Vinnie Anderson, Brent Grose, Henry Fa'afili, Chris Leikvoll, Mike Sullivan and Paul Rauhihi. So you are saying that most of these will have to go to accommodate the 3 already signed (not withstanding the Matt King rumour)
No, it's the other way around; clubs are allowed 10 overseas players next year.

An overseas player is defined as one who wasn't registered with a British club for 3 years before their 21st birthday.

More details about the new rules in the FAQ thread here:
http://www.wigan-warriors.com/cgi-bin/w ... ject341666
Warrior4eva

Post by Warrior4eva »

Geoff,

Can you clarify your earlier post.

I nderstand abot federation players, home grown and oversea's and that clubs are allowed only 10 oversea's players which will be reduced each year but for some reason I believe I have read somewhere that you can only sign 5 quota players with the other 5 being i.e Kolpak.

In theory the oversea's quota has been risen by 2 players so we will have 3 spaces available next season.

I believe what I have read to be something to do with he Aussie federation saying we must cap the quota players otherwise they might lose all their players.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Warrior4eva posted:
Geoff,

I nderstand abot federation players, home grown and oversea's and that clubs are allowed only 10 oversea's players which will be reduced each year but for some reason I believe I have read somewhere that you can only sign 5 quota players with the other 5 being i.e Kolpak.

In theory the oversea's quota has been risen by 2 players so we will have 3 spaces available next season.

I believe what I have read to be something to do with he Aussie federation saying we must cap the quota players otherwise they might lose all their players.
I've not seen anything about that; why should the Aussies have any say in our rules?

As far as I'm aware, the original RFL statement stands, as detailed in the FAQ thread.
We can have 10 overseas players next season, whether Kolpak or not, reducing to 5 by 2010.
Laura-xo

Post by Laura-xo »

I hope he does go to Warrington.
Calders might be released otherwise.
:roll:
Loyal Supporters

He goes to the lefttt,
He goes to the riiiightt,
Mark Calderwood,,

Richards is Superman
honestly!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Warrior4eva posted:
Geoff,

No the official email from the RFL said 40% overseas now and that must go down to 20% by 2011. That is 10 now down to 5 by 2011.

At the same time the number of "home grown players" must be 5 in 2008 and must be 8 by 2011.

The rest of the squad must be federation players that is basically players who started their careers in the UK like Hansen or say someone like Higham is a federation player.

So in 2008 the make up of a squad of 25 must be.

Maximum of 10 overseas players
Minimum of 5 home grown
The rest federation trained.

In 2011 it will be

Maximum of 5 overseas players
Minimum of 8 home grown
The rest federation trained.

An overseas player is one who was not federation trained so that means Aussies, NZ'ers, Kolpacks and EU passport holders such as Pat Richards are all classed as overseas players fropm next season.

I think this will see an influx of Aussies in the next few seasons and may be why we are linked with both Hodgson and king whereas previously we could have only gone for one of them having two Aussies on the books next season already.

Dave

GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO posted:

The rest of the squad must be federation players that is basically players who started their careers in the UK like Hansen or say someone like Higham is a federation player.
Was reading an interesting article the other day about the "Hansen" rule working in reverse in the case of Martin Gleeson, who moved to Australia as a child and only came back to UK when he was 18. He will, according to the rules, count as an overseas player, despite being born in Wigan!

I'll try and find the link, think it was in a Warrington local paper.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Morph posted:
Was reading an interesting article the other day about the "Hansen" rule working in reverse in the case of Martin Gleeson, who moved to Australia as a child and only came back to UK when he was 18. He will, according to the rules, count as an overseas player, despite being born in Wigan!
If this is right, i can see a legal challenge coming. They can never get right the RFL
Found it: Warrington Guardian.
http://www.thisischeshire.co.uk/search/ ... eigner.php

Technically, Martin is quota but his younger brother Mark isn't!

Crazy!
fitzy

Post by fitzy »

Thats the RFL for us, p*** up & brewery spring to mind
yes the rfl couldn't organise one of those eithier although it would be nice :lol:
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Back on thread (sort of), does that mean, as it stands, that Wigan have an overseas vacancy at the moment then? Could an overseas signing for the remainder of the season be imminent (cap permitting)?
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

highland convert posted:
Can't see it. 20% of cap to one player and a winger at that. Plus W are still my prediction to go down, King to div 1 I don't think so.
Accurate conversion
2800000 AUD = 1196070.0555 GBP
Divided by 4 = 374017.55
Would a team deliberately breach the cap to ensure a franchise the following year. I know about signing papers during next year but what if the breach is already in position? Would you want your body trashed week after week knowing the man tossing you the ball was on so much more than you. I can see this wage causing agro in the team. HC