Another off the list.......

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
GeoffN

Re: Another off the list.....

Post by GeoffN »

butt monkey posted:
Back on thread (sort of), does that mean, as it stands, that Wigan have an overseas vacancy at the moment then? Could an overseas signing for the remainder of the season be imminent (cap permitting)?
The new riules only come in next season, so no quota spot.

Cap space unlikely too, except perhaps the remainder of Withers' wage.

For next season, we could, in theory, get another 5 Aussies (if Fletcher, Millard & DV all go) to add to Barrett, Leuluai, Bailey, Richards & Feka.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

GeoffN posted:

Technically, Martin is quota but his younger brother Mark isn't!

Crazy!
Is it? I am sure there have been Aussie ex-NRL players come over who left these shores at a young age who would this season qualify for being off-quota.

The new rule is designed to classify them as an overseas player which they are IMO as is Pat Richards or Feka who currently also get in via the back door rules.

If Gleeson gets caught in this net then its just tough luck.

The concern is a club would mount a legal challenge on Gleesons behalf because if successful that would screw up this plan which is IMO a step in the right direction.

The only compromise I can think of is that the ruling does not affect players already here. This is how the removal of the rule where players came off-quota due to being here a certain period of time was handled. Originally all overseas players were going to be classified as on-quota no matter how long they had already been here but Caisley challenged it because Bradford would have been up the creak at the time.

If such a compromise were agreed to in order to cope with the Gleeson situation it would mean the effectiveness of the new rules would be delayed while such players played out their careers and could result in even more non-UK players on the books depending on how it was handled.

Dave

GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO posted:
GeoffN posted:

Technically, Martin is quota but his younger brother Mark isn't!

Crazy!
Is it? I am sure there have been Aussie ex-NRL players come over who left these shores at a young age who would this season qualify for being off-quota.

The new rule is designed to classify them as an overseas player which they are IMO as is Pat Richards or Feka who currently also get in via the back door rules.

If Gleeson gets caught in this net then its just tough luck.

You have to admit, Dave, that it's somewhat odd to have a player with 17 GB caps, who was born in Wigan, suddenly classed as an "import".

It's a bit different from having a grandparent who once had a pint of Guinness entitling you to be classed as Irish...
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

This has become a very intriguing thread. Does Harrison Hansen count under those rules, as one of our quota players for next season?

So we could sign four, top line overseas (Cap permitting) players for the new season. (If Fletcher, Vaeliki, Withers (I know hes retired) and possibly Millard go)?
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

butt monkey posted:
This has become a very intriguing thread. Does Harrison Hansen count under those rules, as one of our quota players for next season?

So we could sign four, top line overseas (Cap permitting) players for the new season. (If Fletcher, Vaeliki, Withers (I know hes retired) and possibly Millard go)?
Hansen won't count on the quota, he's played 3 full seasons for us before he turned 21.
That's partly why I think the Martin Gleeson scenario is crazy. A GB international who counts as overseas, and a NZ international who doesn't.

AS far as new signings go, we currently have EIGHT overseas players (not counting Withers), so we can sign two more than however many leave.
e.g. if Millard, Fletcher, & DV go, we've got quota space for FIVE more (making 10 in total).
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

GeoffN posted:
butt monkey posted:

Hansen won't count on the quota, he's played 3 full seasons for us before he turned 21.
That's partly why I think the Martin Gleeson scenario is crazy. A GB international who counts as overseas, and a NZ international who doesn't.

AS far as new signings go, we currently have EIGHT overseas players (not counting Withers), so we can sign two more than however many leave.
e.g. if Millard, Fletcher, & DV go, we've got quota space for FIVE more (making 10 in total).
Many thanks for clearing that up Geoff. Phew, the rumour mill will now be full of which Aussie or Kiwi, is going to come to Wigan now!
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

highland convert posted:
Can't see it. 20% of cap to one player and a winger at that. Plus W are still my prediction to go down, King to div 1 I don't think so.
Wire wont go down, thats for sure.
Did hear that King was on £200,000 per annum at Warrington.