Re: Chev Walker.....

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

gpartin posted:
Flinny posted:
And we aint blowing out of our arses by half time, as we did for much of last year.
Probably because we're only turning up to play 60% of the time
Last season we had two coaches, "Millward" & Noble, please note the inverted comma's over Millward.
Both coaches set there stall initially on defence structures.
When training for defence, the go forward is lacking big style, however gets better as the season progresses. Wigan had to go through all that twice, to accomodate the requirements of each coach, hence the very slow start to the season, in addition to "Millwards" inadequecies.
LORENZO

Post by LORENZO »

Sorry, but Millward always believed that as long as you scored more than the other team you were o.k.
Unfortunately, we did not have a team capable of scoring and that's where he went wrong.

DV should play for free! No thank you.
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

LORENZO posted:
Sorry, but Millward always believed that as long as you scored more than the other team you were o.k.
that's quite obvious :conf:
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

- psycho - posted:
LORENZO posted:
that's quite obvious :conf:
It is, but so is the John Monie philosophy that if you concede less points than the other team you'd be OK, too.
Monie would prefer a 2-0 win to a 42-40 win, Millward was the opposite. Same idea, but from opposite angles.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Nobby`s Girl posted:
Its like.....Is the glass half full or half empty?
It depends who's paying for it to be refilled...
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Maurice on ITV teletext today says it isn't Chev Walker or Martin Gleason, and Luke Mcallister has signed for Sale RU so whats left of my betting money is now on Joe Lydon coming back from retirement. :lol:
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

ian.birchall posted:
Maurice on ITV teletext today says it isn't Chev Walker or Martin Gleason, and Luke Mcallister has signed for Sale RU so whats left of my betting money is now on Joe Lydon coming back from retirement. :lol:
Similar to what it says in League Express:-
(summarised version)

Wigan have rejected suggestions that they may be about to swoop for Warrington Wolves star Martin Gleeson.

"I don't know anything about Martin Gleeson, and Chev Walker is a mile off the pace," Wigan Chairman Maurice Lindsay told 'Rugby Leaguer and League Express'.

Lindsay claims that his club is trying to place a greater emphasis once again on producing its own stars.

"I am keen too see as many British players as possible playing for Wigan. In recent years, for some reason they haven't been coming through from the Wigan service area, so we relied quite heavily on overseas players. But that will change."
He also suggests that Richards at full-back might be a long-term option if Liam Colbon keeps up the pace, whilst Richards is also quoted as saying he is enjoying playing fullback:-
Pat Richards told League Express:
"I'm enjoying playing there at the moment, and I'm sure I would continue to enjoy it. I've only played two games there, so it's hard to say whether I'll be there next year or not, but if that happens then so be it."

And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....

[hr]
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

(summarised version)

Wigan have rejected suggestions that they may be about to swoop for Warrington Wolves star Martin Gleeson.

"I don't know anything about Martin Gleeson, and Chev Walker is a mile off the pace," Wigan Chairman Maurice Lindsay told 'Rugby Leaguer and League Express'.

Lindsay claims that his club is trying to place a greater emphasis once again on producing its own stars.

"I am keen too see as many British players as possible playing for Wigan. In recent years, for some reason they haven't been coming through from the Wigan service area, so we relied quite heavily on overseas players. But that will change."

Hypocrite he has let a lot of talent go in the last few years
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

jaws1 posted:
(summarised version)

Strangely, I had the same thought when I read it at lunchtime! He's the one who has been releasing this talent before it's got to the first team, although I suppose we do generate far more kids than we can give team places to, many of the kids probably wouldn't have made it, and people have always complained when we have had a team full of kids that we lack experience (instead of a team of old fogeys when everyone complains there are no kids...). Must be difficult to decide who should stay and who should go, and I'm sure he doesn't always get it right...

[hr]
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Fraggle posted:
jaws1 posted:
(summarised version)

Strangely, I had the same thought when I read it at lunchtime! He's the one who has been releasing this talent before it's got to the first team, although I suppose we do generate far more kids than we can give team places to, many of the kids probably wouldn't have made it, and people have always complained when we have had a team full of kids that we lack experience (instead of a team of old fogeys when everyone complains there are no kids...). Must be difficult to decide who should stay and who should go, and I'm sure he doesn't always get it right...
Not really all that many have left that have gone on to be stars though.

I remember most people on here being quite happy when the likes of Aspinwall, Wild, Hodgson, Brown were released. More recently, the Academy players of the last two years haven't looked like being all that successful.
Would we find a place now for Hargreaves, Gleeson, Beswick, Allen? I don't think so.
The only one of the recent youngsters we might be using now is Melling, and we didn't know Ashton was leaving when we released him (similar to the Briscoe situation).