19% over cap

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
OJ

Re: 19% over cap

Post by OJ »

Something said on the phone in yesterday on GMR about it being something to do with the payment made by the RFL to keep Rad's away from converting to rugby union all those years ago also something about Michael Dobson but I agree we should all just stop speculating and wait and see what really has happened. Not too bad talking about it on here but I don't even look at the topic on rlfans anymore because it has just turned into a topic for an outpouriong of bile from fans of other clubs who would love nothing more than to see us suffer. Best thing to do on there is ignore them and let them frustrate themselves when nobody responds but that is easier said than done!
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Antwigan

Post by Antwigan »

If we are confident of not breaking the cap then why did 'we' fight hard to revert punishments to the 2006 salary cap rules? Wouldn't
it have been better to stick with the 2007 punishments and the other named teams who have admitted guilt and were not contesting the 2007/2006 punishment change charged with the full punishments for 2007, thus receiving a larger punishment.
Campions of the rugby world.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Saints had club GB money for Cunningham too.
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

Antwigan posted:
If we are confident of not breaking the cap then why did 'we' fight hard to revert punishments to the 2006 salary cap rules?
I guess because you can never be sure of the outcome of a trial, no matter how good you think your case is. And 12 points would have relegated us.

At least now, if we fail to convince the tribunal and get the heaviest punishment - 6 points - it's still more than likely that we'll stay up (though beating Saints on Friday would more or less guarantee it).
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Cruncher posted:
Antwigan posted:
If we are confident of not breaking the cap then why did 'we' fight hard to revert punishments to the 2006 salary cap rules?
I guess because you can never be sure of the outcome of a trial, no matter how good you think your case is. And 12 points would have relegated us.

At least now, if we fail to convince the tribunal and get the heaviest punishment - 6 points - it's still more than likely that we'll stay up (though beating Saints on Friday would more or less guarantee it).
Also if there are legal issues with parts of the cap, who's to say any of it is well written and legal. I think Wigan have done the right thing highlighting the problems!
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Antwigan posted:
I wondered that, too, but Saints were also involved in that hearing, and they must have been confident of not losing points.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Cruncher posted:
Antwigan posted:

If we got 12 wed bt 1 point behins Salford and they have a bad run in. Even if we got 12 i think wed survive. Salford do have a gaome in hand but thats at Hull and they come to us.

butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

gpartin posted:
Cruncher posted:
Antwigan posted:

Also if there are legal issues with parts of the cap, who's to say any of it is well written and legal. I think Wigan have done the right thing highlighting the problems!
I wonder if there are any small alterations to the Salary Cap, from previously to the last season currently under review. Anyone?

I suppose that Wigan hope to expose, in their defence on the 25th, failings or retrospective contradictions that will help their fight against any prospective punishment.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Spanakopitta

Post by Spanakopitta »

agree with everything you've put

Got to say it looks pretty poor to all onlookers that our governing body can't even put the rules together properly... we had a meeting, agreed to change the rules, put the proposed changes in the meeting minutes and everything.....then never bothered to actually amend the rules to match.

if i did that i'd get the sack (or at least a very harsh warning).

Hopefully this will be the kick up the a*se the rfl needs :eusa4:

as for percentage over, may be somebody screwed that up too and its only 1.9% over.....well if stains are only 0.8% :lol:
GEER EM ONSIDE
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

You cannot guarantee the outcome of the hearing SO you plan for every eventuallity. Hence, you look at the issue of deductions. Given, this issue only recently arose, I would suggest Wigan decided to employ the top legal rep (forget his name). He started looking at everything and said. You do realise they (the RFL) cannot increase penalties retrospectively. So the impetus came from legal representation. The 3 clubs rightly took that action to safeguard themselves. So far, so good.

I cannot believe we would be pleading not guilty if we were so blatantly over the cap.

What I cannot fathom is when we signed Fielden there was uproar and hysteria. Did the RFL not check then and give us the OK or is my memory frazzled?