Rest of the season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Matthew

Rest of the season

Post by Matthew »

It seems to me that all the teams have been doing their homework on Barrett and have worked out that if they take him out of the game then we are mediocre at best.

We seem to get frustrated and our defence falls to bits. What is it with us and letting in early points? I can think of three games in the last 6 weeks where we have conceded with in the first 5 minutes.

We better just pray that Salford don't win too many more.

Our remaining fixtures are:

Giants - 50/50 chance at best
London - Depends on which London turns up; we don't have a good record against them
Salford - An important game that we should win - like the CC semi
Hull KR - We've lost to them twice this year already
Stains - no chance

The problem we now have is that the team is very low on confidence - having lost their last 3 (the last 2 being unmitigated disasters). If they can't find some confidence soon then we look like having to rely on Salford to not win any more.

I'm not even considering the play offs - quite apart from the fact that no-one has won the grand final from lower than third - our current form is so poor that relegation is rapidly becoming a serious threat.

One things for sure - if we go into the last game needing a result we are f*****

Another season - another depressing nightmare of failure with relegation hanging over us
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
jaws1

Re: Rest of the season

Post by jaws1 »

Forget play offs relegation is a more of a threat at least Wigan were playing better end of the last season now we are on the reverse and playing crap.
chrisJJ

Post by chrisJJ »

jaws1 posted:
Forget play offs relegation is a more of a threat at least Wigan were playing better end of the last season now we are on the reverse and playing crap.
good to see this site is full of optimists.. and please don't say that i'm not realising what danger the teams in because i know, but this attitude isn't one that helps the fans and it doesnt help the players. To turn up to watch a game expecting to lose is something that should never happen... if so, there's no point in fans turning up against the big clubs.
To be the best
you have to beat the best
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

chrisJJ posted:
good to see this site is full of optimists.. and please don't say that i'm not realising what danger the teams in because i know, but this attitude isn't one that helps the fans and it doesnt help the players. To turn up to watch a game expecting to lose is something that should never happen... if so, there's no point in fans turning up against the big clubs.
I consider myself a realist - I weigh up the circumstances and take it from there.

In my original post I put my opinion of how I see our chances (based on our current form) in the remaining games of the season. Which ones was I wrong on? Do you think that we will thrash Salford? Hull KR? We haven't been them before this season when we were playing better than this!

After todays surrender to wire, who do you see us beating? We appear to have no hunger and less appetite for a fight. At least at the end of the last season we played as a team.

The fans turn up in large numbers to support the team and players - what else can they do? You can't blame the fans for missing tackles. I am starting to suspect that we could make a better defensive line from the posters on this board than the one that has been playing for the last couple of weeks.

We didn't lose to a "big" club today - we lost to a team that have only ever won one play-off game in 8 years! And it wasn't even close!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
ste lord

Post by ste lord »

chrisJJ posted:
jaws1 posted:
The thing is Chris at present thats hapenning because the players seem not bothered if they win lose or draw,
so the fans expect to lose because the players dont give a stuff!!!!

Keep Wigan "Wigan"

jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

chrisJJ posted:
jaws1 posted:
Watched Wigan now for fifty five years home and away and no i am not a pessimist just stating facts if the team plays like they are doing at the present moment they will stare relegation in the face .At this point last year we were getting stonger every game not going through a loss of form as we are now .I know we can still reach the play offs but also can be relegated
pedro

Post by pedro »

They should be ashamed
Shevi 4 life

Post by Shevi 4 life »

Everything seems to backfire on us we sign DV who played well in the NRL he plays rubbish we sign Davico who plays 8 minutes then gets injured we sign moran who played well for london the we have loads of injuries in 2005/2006. hock played well in the tri nations he is having his worst season ever.
We sign fielden he starts playing awfully

seems to me like everything seems to backfire on us
There expanding knowsley road from 3 car park spaces to 4
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The way I look at it is this. We have 5 matches. To reach the play offs we will have to win at least 4 IMO. All 5 are actually winnable. Are you crazy? :lol: NO, Saints are unlikely to field a full team v us. They will have qualified and Anderson normally starts resting players for the play offs.

A Wigan team playing well can win 4 out of 5. Let's be honest bar the top 3, nobody else in SL is anything special. Howver, neither will they roll over and die. Our destiny is in our own hands. It is about what our players do.

To the doom mongers? 1 more win = safe from relegation IMO.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

cpwigan posted:
The way I look at it is this. We have 5 matches. To reach the play offs we will have to win at least 4 IMO. All 5 are actually winnable. Are you crazy? :lol: NO, Saints are unlikely to field a full team v us. They will have qualified and Anderson normally starts resting players for the play offs.

A Wigan team playing well can win 4 out of 5. Let's be honest bar the top 3, nobody else in SL is anything special. Howver, neither will they roll over and die. Our destiny is in our own hands. It is about what our players do.

To the doom mongers? 1 more win = safe from relegation IMO.
But we seem to be either good or awful, rarely anything in between! Inasmuch as there is a pattern, we seem to play better against the top teams.

I agree that if the team that played Leeds, Bradford & Saints (even though we lost, I thought we played well) turns up, we can win all 5, but equally if todays (or Catalans, Wakefield etc) team turns up, we'll lose all 5.

If I could pick just one game to win, it would be Salford @ home.

I'm not thinking about the playoffs; even if we get there, we won't get far.