Re: Heart of the club gone.......

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Heart of the club gone...

Post by cpwigan »

I do not think it matters where you come from although ideally home town players tend to have a little more pride. What matters is what is inside you as a person. The reality is that what drives the very best is actually fear. Not fear of opponents / injuries BUT simply the fear of failing. Edwards was from Wigan, Bell was from NZ, Hanley was from Leeds BUT they all hated the thought of failing (defeat) so much they strove to avoid it at all costs.

What people need to understand is that that fear is purely selfish. It needs to be. It means they will not let themselves down nor will they put themselves above the ultimate collective goal of winning. What you would never hear from such people is, we are sorry we let the fans down. Erm NO you let yourselves down. If you are quite content to live with letting yourself down you will never achieve your goal. Saying sorry to others sounds nice BUT it is wrong. The only people who can do it and matter are the 13/17 playing.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Your right TEW. However, ordinary players can have the same attitude. Byrne is a great example. McGinty, Hall, Cowie and so on. It may be that we are not doing our homework enough when signing players.
fitzy

Post by fitzy »

we do need attitude but I also think that TEW is right we need competion for places back when central park shut down andy farrell took his peg out of the changing room's with him because it took him o long to earn it this is the sort of competion we need again
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

TWO EYED WARRIOR posted:
cpwigan posted:
Jaws I was thinking tonight. I wonder if the recent cap dedudction / ownership uncertainty has affected the players. The problem is how then do you explain similar debacles throughout the season?

It boils down to the first team players not being good enough mentally. They have ability. However, it is the basics of mental toughness that they fall down.
At the end of it all the off the field antics are out of the control of the players but they can make sure that they do all they can on the pitch,a lot people will have been through a similar process at work when they here of lay offs redundancies or takeovers etc, yeah it does worry you but you still turn up and put the effort in, which at the moment there seems very little from a lot of the players,surely they would want to impress any potential new owners/coaches etc to make sure they are kept on once any takeover is completed.?

At the moment we still have a nucleus at the club of imported players who to me still dont understand what it means to play for wigan, the name Wigan is synonymous with success yet those who are taking the money from the club seem happy enough to play 2nd fiddle to mediocrity and dont seem capable of lifting themselves for the fight.

Put 13 Wigan lads on the pitch immaterial of experince and you will see what it means to them we may get beat but they wouldnt get beaten up! which is what is happening at the moment imo
Yes they would!