A week to decide

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

A week to decide

Post by cpwigan »

DW will decide in the next week if he is to take legal action. The RFL have delivered the document as to why they found the club guilty of overspending. If we take legal action, the intention is for it to be concluded prior to the play offs in order to recoup the points deducted.
ancientnloyal

Re: A week to decide

Post by ancientnloyal »

In football doesn't in some instances, clubs that challenge the FA and lose get deducted even more points or get fined? Im struggling to find an occasion that has happened but I know it has!
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Not that I can recall A/L The only instance it happens is when a player appeals against a suspension.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Thats ok then, I am still on the hunt for instances.

I say if there is a plausible reason as to why we should appeal - go for it, as long as the outcome suggests no 'laws' or rules have been broken etc... Then we'd get the Cas fans' fire being enlightened again.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan posted:
DW will decide in the next week if he is to take legal action. The RFL have delivered the document as to why they found the club guilty of overspending. If we take legal action, the intention is for it to be concluded prior to the play offs in order to recoup the points deducted.
I missed all the debate about this while away on holiday and from what I have read Wigan should appeal.

The way I see it is we paid less money out to players than Saints and Bradford and got done for this "not being in the spirit" of the rules whatever that is supposed to mean.

Even if the outcome wasn't known before the play-offs the club should still appeal as it seems totally daft to me to be told you went over the cap by over £200K when you didn't actually pay it out so this needs clearing up.

While they are at it, perhaps they could clear up if offshore payments are "in the spirit" of the salary cap rules.

Dave

mike binder

Post by mike binder »

DaveO posted:
cpwigan posted:
I missed all the debate about this while away on holiday and from what I have read Wigan should appeal.

The way I see it is we paid less money out to players than Saints and Bradford and got done for this "not being in the spirit" of the rules whatever that is supposed to mean.

Even if the outcome wasn't known before the play-offs the club should still appeal as it seems totally daft to me to be told you went over the cap by over £200K when you didn't actually pay it out so this needs clearing up.

While they are at it, perhaps they could clear up if offshore payments are "in the spirit" of the salary cap rules.

Dave
think the rfl have been on the spirit
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Cant see any harm in appealing against the 4 point deduction if we win we gain the 4 points back .
Lose we pay the deferred payments back to the players so the new owner can come in with a clean slate.
To be quite truthful i would prefer the 2nd option if the team pulls its socks up they can still make the play offs and leave money spare for next year .
We know Fletcher DV are going money spare from them Ashton would be on a pittance so not much from him.
We all know we have been a prop short for this season because of the deffered payments from last year .
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Talking of "the spirit" of rules. What about the overseas quota? Wakey took to the field last season with a starting 13 that had ONE player that was GB qualified - they broke no rules but surely not "in the spirit " of the quota system.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Doveoverdave posted:
Talking of "the spirit" of rules. What about the overseas quota? Wakey took to the field last season with a starting 13 that had ONE player that was GB qualified - they broke no rules but surely not "in the spirit " of the quota system.
It's only "not in the spirit" if we do it! Geddit? :)
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Doveoverdave posted:
Well people who have been around the various forums for a while will know I have always said for years that there are too many overseas players in the game here. Whenever I have posted about such things as you mention I have had lecture after lecture from opposition fans who's teams do this that "they have not broken the rules".

That is obviously OK then and hang the consequences for the game here.

The off shore payments are a tax avoidance measure and so we have numerous foreign players running around in the game here who pay about 10% in tax on their wages total. The RFL allow this and say while the legality (tax-wise) is open to debate it can be done. Since when has tax-avoidance been an acceptable practice when everyone else else has to pay the full rate?

Is this method of stretching of the salary cap budget "in the spirit" of the cap?

I just find it astonishing that Saints deliberately pay a bonus (that they were not compelled to pay by anyone such as the RFL) to a player and so end up with a squad that cost more than £1.75m, get a paltry fine and Wigan jump through hoops to ensure they don't pay out too much, don't actually pay out too much and are done four points for this not being "in the spirit" of the cap.

The game is run by people who make it up as they go along IMO. Nigel Wood is the best one at this IMO.

As I was away when this broke, what was the media reaction? Has any of the media taken issue with the RFL over this or did they all just jump on the anti-Wigan bandwagon?

I really do hope DW takes them to court.

Dave