Brett Hogdson

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Cruncher

Re: Brett Hogdson

Post by Cruncher »

GeoffN posted:
The WEP seems to think there are 4 options:

Keeping Richards at fb
Brett Hodgson
Mathers
Briscoe.

http://www.wigantoday.net/warriors-news ... 3150315.jp

I hope it's neither of the last two.
There are several oddities here.

First of all, I find it very hard to believe that Wigan are facing 'competition' for Mathers from either Salford or Castleford. The first are NL1-bound and the second are already there. Surely Aspinall doesn't believe that bit of club spin. If this was Wigan's response to a question, the real truth must be that they aren't interested in Mathers.

As for Briscoe and Hodgson, does anyone actually know their status? A few days ago, Hull KR fans were celebrating because Briscoe had signed for them. Now we hear that this isn't the case at all - in fact the Rovers coach hasn't even spoken to him. We also heard that Hodgson had signed for an extra year at Wests, but now we hear that this isn't true either.

There are rumours and counter-rumours, but this is getting ridiculous. Does anyone actually KNOW, for an undisputed fact, whether Hodgson and/or Briscoe are actually available or not.

(PS: I'm mainly interesting Hodgson, as Briscoe doesn't even run him close).
Shevi 4 life

Post by Shevi 4 life »

As far as i am concerened it is all speculation
There expanding knowsley road from 3 car park spaces to 4
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I've just finished reading the west tigers forum. and i've got to say its a little worrying what there saying about Hodgson. They all love him and want him to stay but some are saying he just isnt as effective at FB anymore. some say his best days are well past him and that he should be moved to half/back.
lancaster077

Post by lancaster077 »

Told you so, Hodgeson is no were near as good as he was, People sould fork out for Setanta Sports and find out how ordianary he actually is because there will be a thread on hear next year actually saying how he hasnt inproved the squad, he has lost a yard of pace and has 1 good game in like 10 and to top it off hes as injury prone as Brisco.

2 Trys in 14 games is not a good return for a so called attacking fullback and hes been injured yet again this year.

Again another Aussie at Wigan for a final pay day we dont want him.Think Matthew Johns and Greg Florimo and you have hit the nail on the head.

There are better players and better prospects.
Mclindon.
Zillman.(Raiders)
Hazem El Masri (points machine)
Brett Stuart(Manly)
Matt Bowen (Cowboys)

Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

lancaster077 posted:
Told you so, Hodgeson is no were near as good as he was, People sould fork out for Setanta Sports and find out how ordianary he actually is because there will be a thread on hear next year actually saying how he hasnt inproved the squad, he has lost a yard of pace and has 1 good game in like 10 and to top it off hes as injury prone as Brisco.

2 Trys in 14 games is not a good return for a so called attacking fullback and hes been injured yet again this year.

Again another Aussie at Wigan for a final pay day we dont want him.Think Matthew Johns and Greg Florimo and you have hit the nail on the head.

Mclindon.
Zillman.(Raiders)
Brett Stuart(Manly)
Matt Bowen (Cowboys)
Yes, but are any of these available? If not, what's the point in mentioning them?
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

lancaster077 posted:

Mclindon.
Zillman.(Raiders)
Brett Stuart(Manly)
Matt Bowen (Cowboys)

Of course; the point is most of those are under contract.

El Masri is 31 years old, if you're talking about retiring Aussies, and is contracted till 2009 anyway.

Bowen is contracted till the end of next year, as are Brett Stewart and Zillman.

You have to look at who's available; Hodgson is.
lancaster077

Post by lancaster077 »

Fielden was still under contract, still got him though.So whats the difference, all of a sudden you cant go for players just because there under contract because a fee is involved, defer the payment then pay it when the franchise comes into play or pay by instalments.

It will show our ambition id sooner keep Richards at full back and bring on a youngster than have Hodgeson.

Warrington and Huddersfield are threatening to overtake Wigan with there signings, Stains Hull,Bradford,and Leeds already have overtaken us so were do we draw the line with old Aussies or has the Wigan fans resigned to the fact were crap and always will be crap.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

lancaster077 posted:
Fielden was still under contract, still got him though.So whats the difference, all of a sudden you cant go for players just because there under contract because a fee is involved, defer the payment then pay it when the franchise comes into play or pay by instalments.

It will show our ambition id sooner keep Richards at full back and bring on a youngster than have Hodgeson.

Warrington and Huddersfield are threatening to overtake Wigan with there signings, Stains Hull,Bradford,and Leeds already have overtaken us so were do we draw the line with old Aussies or has the Wigan fans resigned to the fact were crap and always will be crap.
The Fielden situation was rather different; Bradford were in financial difficulties at the time (and also were having salary cap problems - they still ended up over the cap, despite losing half of Fielden's wage).

You're the one who mentioned El Masri, talking of old Aussies.

I'd love to see some of the others you mention; even if we had to get a short-term signing until one of them comes available - my first choice (looking further in the future) would be Karmichael Hunt.

I completely agree that there are better options than Hodgson, it's just that none of them are available. Transfer fees don't count under the cap, so that wouldn't be a problem, but we can only buy from someone who's willing to sell.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

It's a sellers market

Previously SL was a retirement home for Aussie players. They'd come over here and extend their career for a couple more years that they would have been able to in the NRL.

Recently SL has been signing players that have just finished their international careers and are starting to sign players earlier in their career. With the constant restraint of the salary cap, SL clubs are less and less willing to give a big contract to an over the hill also ran (although Wigan have been one of the worst offenders of this in recent times).

The Aussies are now starting to get annoyed with the number of players who are using early get out clauses to come to SL. Expect the NRL to make it harder and harder for the top players to come to SL.

I think that it is unlikely that we will see any "big" signings this season - as if DW is preparing to sell he is not going to worry a massive amount about recruiting for 2008 (despite what might be said in public) and the new owner cannot sign players until the papers are signed.
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
lancaster077

Post by lancaster077 »

I know i mentioned El Masri and he is old but hes 20 times better than Hodgeson.Thats why i mentioned him in the first place hes a better prospect and i think hes out of contract and didnt he reprisent in the state of origin and test side this year?.

Im just hopeing and praying that we dont sign Hodgeson.