not just a rumour

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
standishwarrior

Re: not just a rumour

Post by standishwarrior »

weststand-rich posted:
DaveO posted:

Well we need a prop, a centre and a full back as a minimum. I don't call that a glut, just sensible recruitment to plug the obvious gaps in the team.

I'd agree we need at least another prop and a quality centre to allow us the luxery of another season to bring on Goulding. I wouldn't be surpised if Farrell came back and filled in at prop for a year - especially since we effectively have an additional 225K credit note from the non existent wage overspend.

However I have been forming the opinion that Coley could well be our only recruit for 2008 with compromises like keeping Richards at full back and sticking with the props we have now as the likely way things will go.

Perhaps.... but not necessarily a bad thing. A lot of teams just seem to be swopping like for like and with the exception of King going to Wire, player equivalents are moving about. I'll happily argue the team we have is a solid top 3 or 4 side. While we're no St Helens were moving in the right direction.

If we promote from within the side will once more be unbalanced in favour of inexperience. We have tried this before and once the adrenalin wears off the younger players get tired and exposed.

I know Billy Millard copped a lot of flak over the past year (too slow, too old, too grey etc) but Noble bought him becuase he is experienced in games and brings with him an old head the team has lacked. His key asset has been as a stabilising force and because he's a mate on level terms with Barret and Fletch, if they get giddy, Millard will overturn their calls and calm things down. That's been Nobbys rationale anyway. To be fair I'd largely agree he's done that. ... maybe a return of Farrell would perhaps lend that experience we're lacking?

Rich :sly: :sly:

if farrell came back as a prop then id show my bottom at the top of standishgate in town on a buisy saturday afternoon!! :D im not knocking what he's done for the club because he's a legend but we would be scrapping the barrel if we was forced to bring him back as a prop!!
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

standishwarrior posted:
if farrell came back as a prop then id show my bottom at the top of standishgate!!
Steady! We are STILL waiting for Doug Stand to.....

Keep his bet too :lol:
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

butt monkey posted:
standishwarrior posted:
if farrell came back as a prop then id show my bottom at the top of standishgate!!
Steady! We are STILL waiting for Doug Stand to.....

Just as a reminder, back in April Doug Stand posted
We are just of the back of a humiliation, yes I see the thoery that Wigan will just bounce back, and I suspect the performance will be better, but to win by 24/36 points is dreamland.
You have two evenly matched sides, possibly Wakefiled this year that bit better.

If Wigan win by that scoreline I'd bare my backside at the top of King street (again!)
Of course, we won 44-10

We're still waiting....
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

standishwarrior posted:
weststand-rich posted:

if farrell came back as a prop then id show my bottom at the top of standishgate in town on a buisy saturday afternoon!! :D im not knocking what he's done for the club because he's a legend but we would be scrapping the barrel if we was forced to bring him back as a prop!!
I'm not sure why Farrell at prop would be a barrel scrape. The season he finished for us and won man of steel he played prop for most of that season. Lots of creative players end up in that sort of role. I'm not drawing remote comparison but Cullen had a similar journey with the Wires and started at standoff and finished in the front row.

Certainly if Faz had seen his contract with us out it would have been at prop. A goal kicking, offloading, highly skilled prop, but prop none the less.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

weststand-rich posted:
standishwarrior posted:
weststand-rich posted:

I'm not sure why Farrell at prop would be a barrel scrape. The season he finished for us and won man of steel he played prop for most of that season. Lots of creative players end up in that sort of role. I'm not drawing remote comparison but Cullen had a similar journey with the Wires and started at standoff and finished in the front row.

Certainly if Faz had seen his contract with us out it would have been at prop. A goal kicking, offloading, highly skilled prop, but prop none the less.
My only problem with bringing Faz back is what it could do to the team dynamic (which I don't think is good now BTW). It would bring a dominant character back into the team, undermining whatever small steps O'Loughlin and co have taken to step out from under the shadow of the previous team. I'm not entirely sure that would neccessarily be a bad thing because the team as it has been this season clearly has attitude problems of some sort - maybe he could give another couple of years of guidance and motivation - but I would say it probably a good rule of thumb not to return to the site of past glories.

Faz the player at prop I would welcome back (provide he was long-term injury free). Faz the ex-captain - I'm not so sure.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
standishwarrior

Doug Stand posted:
GeoffN posted:
butt monkey posted: Steady! We are STILL waiting for Doug Stand to.....

Just as a reminder, back in April Doug Stand posted
We are just of the back of a humiliation, yes I see the thoery that Wigan will just bounce back, and I suspect the performance will be better, but to win by 24/36 points is dreamland.
You have two evenly matched sides, possibly Wakefiled this year that bit better.

If Wigan win by that scoreline I'd bare my backside at the top of King street (again!)
Of course, we won 44-10

We're still waiting....

Blimey memories like elephants.... :blush:

i wish i hadnt said anything now!!seem's some people on here have very good memories! :lol:
standishwarrior

weststand-rich posted:
standishwarrior posted:
weststand-rich posted:

he's not a prop though!! im not sure of his age but im sure we'd get 2 yrs out of him at most!if any of the rumours are to go by and carvell is availble for next season then surely it makes sense to go for him ahead of farrell?i know who i'd go for anyway!
Mrs Lifter

Post by Mrs Lifter »

dont want to butt in but if there are rumours about Carvell then we should sign him IMO the best British prop in Sl.But Lennagan is a canny operator and can you imagine the publicity and kudos of announcing his purchase of Wigan on the back of the signing of someonewho is allmost a folk hero.I have to agree that as much as i love Faz i worry about the impact it would have on team dynamics.
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

I'm not saying we should sign him or that we will. Lennagan is pally with Farrell and tried to persuade him to join Harlequins in the past year. Given Lennagan is our new owner, I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if he did re-appear.

I broadly agree with Mikes assessment on the potential situation - depending on how it was done it could be a stabilising force or an undermining effort.
bertina

Post by bertina »

weststand-rich posted:
I'm not saying we should sign him or that we will. Lennagan is pally with Farrell and tried to persuade him to join Harlequins in the past year. Given Lennagan is our new owner, I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if he did re-appear.

I broadly agree with Mikes assessment on the potential situation - depending on how it was done it could be a stabilising force or an undermining effort.
Since Faz left us he has spent most of his time injured, and the rest of it playing in the backs at tick and pass (RU). We had the best years out of Faz without doubt. Let's not spoil all those memories by bringing back a man at 32 and ask him to go back in the front row in SL. I very much doubt that after 2 or 3 years away he could do himself or the club justice. As a player for Wigan, let's draw a line under the Andy Farrell saga.