not just a rumour

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Panchitta Marra

Re: not just a rumour

Post by Panchitta Marra »

bertina posted:
weststand-rich posted:
I'm not saying we should sign him or that we will. Lennagan is pally with Farrell and tried to persuade him to join Harlequins in the past year. Given Lennagan is our new owner, I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if he did re-appear.

I broadly agree with Mikes assessment on the potential situation - depending on how it was done it could be a stabilising force or an undermining effort.
Since Faz left us he has spent most of his time injured, and the rest of it playing in the backs at tick and pass (RU). We had the best years out of Faz without doubt. Let's not spoil all those memories by bringing back a man at 32 and ask him to go back in the front row in SL. I very much doubt that after 2 or 3 years away he could do himself or the club justice. As a player for Wigan, let's draw a line under the Andy Farrell saga.
Lets face it, the hero Faz was as a Wigan great has well passed. IMO, the time Wigan sold him could not have been timed any better, as he was at the end of his League career. Getting away from the experience argument, we need a good TOUGH no8 or no10, not frightened to dish it out a little, (in a controlled manner).Carvell to me fits the bill, and I hope he is a t Wigan next season.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Panchitta Marra posted:
Lets face it, the hero Faz was as a Wigan great has well passed. IMO, the time Wigan sold him could not have been timed any better, as he was at the end of his League career.
Would you have said the same thing if he had been available to play from the start of that season, having just won the Man of Steel, Player's Player award, Golden Boot and MBE after possibly the best 6 months' of his entire career playing at prop to help the team when we were desperately short? Obviously that was a long time ago now and it probably is too late for him to come back to league and have the same impact, but he wasn't even 30 when he left, and was playing some of the best rugby of his career. The only thing counting against him was an increasing tendency towards getting major injuries, but then I don't think he's had massive problems with his knees since having the surgery in consecutive years. The injuries he got in that first year in Union were nothing at all to do with rugby league...
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

bertina posted:
weststand-rich posted:
I'm not saying we should sign him or that we will. Lennagan is pally with Farrell and tried to persuade him to join Harlequins in the past year. Given Lennagan is our new owner, I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if he did re-appear.

I broadly agree with Mikes assessment on the potential situation - depending on how it was done it could be a stabilising force or an undermining effort.
Since Faz left us he has spent most of his time injured, and the rest of it playing in the backs at tick and pass (RU). We had the best years out of Faz without doubt. Let's not spoil all those memories by bringing back a man at 32 and ask him to go back in the front row in SL. I very much doubt that after 2 or 3 years away he could do himself or the club justice. As a player for Wigan, let's draw a line under the Andy Farrell saga.
:eusa2: couldn't agree more.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Panchitta Marra posted:
Lets face it, the hero Faz was as a Wigan great has well passed. IMO, the time Wigan sold him could not have been timed any better, as he was at the end of his League career.
Give over. He was under 30 as Fraggle pointed out and had just won MoS, Golden Boot and had a great season. Barrett will be 31 at the start of next season. Is he at the end of his career? After a great season the answer is obviously no. The same was true of Farrell.

As to the injuries Bertina mentions they were a toe that got trod on and a back injury as a result of a car crash not some chronic and recurring RL injury. Saying he was constantly injured in RU implies he is a crock due to playing injuries when that isn't the case.

Dave
Panchitta Marra

Fraggle posted:
Panchitta Marra posted:
Would you have said the same thing if he had been available to play from the start of that season, having just won the Man of Steel, Player's Player award, Golden Boot and MBE after possibly the best 6 months' of his entire career playing at prop to help the team when we were desperately short? Obviously that was a long time ago now and it probably is too late for him to come back to league and have the same impact, but he wasn't even 30 when he left, and was playing some of the best rugby of his career. The only thing counting against him was an increasing tendency towards getting major injuries, but then I don't think he's had massive problems with his knees since having the surgery in consecutive years. The injuries he got in that first year in Union were nothing at all to do with rugby league...
I would still have said yes, as it was my thoughts at the time just prior to the announcement of his move to union. Trying to take out the injury scenario, my honest opinion is that fortunately we have seen the very best of Andy Farrel, and that union have been unlucky with his knee problem. IMO, the RU game is easier to play than League (past personal experience), yet Andy has still struggled to show his true form. This is in part, down to the injury lay off, RU selectional positional choice of inside centre, however I feel he is on the downward slope, and was when he signed to RU. IMO that he would still be a better choice at 10 than Jonny Wilkinson.
Panchitta Marra

DaveO posted:
Panchitta Marra posted:
Give over. He was under 30 as Fraggle pointed out and had just won MoS, Golden Boot and had a great season. Barrett will be 31 at the start of next season. Is he at the end of his career? After a great season the answer is obviously no. The same was true of Farrell.

As to the injuries Bertina mentions they were a toe that got trod on and a back injury as a result of a car crash not some chronic and recurring RL injury. Saying he was constantly injured in RU implies he is a crock due to playing injuries when that isn't the case.

Dave
Excuse me, I never brought Faz's age into this argument, nor the fact that he was too old. Barrett at 31, so what, why bring age into this argument, it is down to the quality of the product not its age. My statement was that wigan sold Faz at the right time, and I still stand by that statement. And by the way, I didnt bring the injury situation into the scenario. The proof has been for all to see on the strength of Faz's time in Union, injury or not. Faz is still a Wigan great, a cult hero, and that stands by me too.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Panchitta Marra posted:
Excuse me, I never brought Faz's age into this argument, nor the fact that he was too old. Barrett at 31, so what, why bring age into this argument, it is down to the quality of the product not its age.
Well that is that cleared up then. Faz was not too old.
My statement was that wigan sold Faz at the right time, and I still stand by that statement.

Then justify it.

He obviously was not too old so what was the problem? We all think Barrett should have won MoS and we don't want to get rid of him but given Farrell did win it and also had an outstanding season why on earth was it the right time to get rid of him?
And by the way, I didnt bring the injury situation into the scenario.
I know you didn't that is why I mentioned Bertina specifically (who did mention it).
The proof has been for all to see on the strength of Faz's time in Union, injury or not. Faz is still a Wigan great, a cult hero, and that stands by me too.
What proof in Union?

Dave
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

DaveO posted:

Give over. He was under 30 as Fraggle pointed out and had just won MoS, Golden Boot and had a great season. Barrett will be 31 at the start of next season.

Dave
Not nearly true, born November 1977, he is still 29 for a few more weeks and will not be 31 until the start of the season after next.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

ian.birchall posted:
DaveO posted:

Give over. He was under 30 as Fraggle pointed out and had just won MoS, Golden Boot and had a great season. Barrett will be 31 at the start of next season.

Dave
Not nearly true, born November 1977, he is still 29 for a few more weeks and will not be 31 until the start of the season after next.
Sorry Ian he's 32:

Taken from

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/LegendsList.asp

Name:Andrew Farrell OBE
Position:Loose Forward
DOB:30/05/75

"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Matthew posted:
ian.birchall posted:
DaveO posted:

Dave
Sorry Ian he's 32:

Taken from

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/LegendsList.asp

Name:Andrew Farrell OBE
Position:Loose Forward
DOB:30/05/75
I think IB meant Trent, not Faz...
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]