Will we ?Won't we? -----Appeal against the salary cap 4 point deduction?????????

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Doveoverdave

Re: Will we ?Won't we? ---...

Post by Doveoverdave »

thegimble posted:
Doveoverdave posted:
thegimble posted:
We wont appeal. DW has gone very quiet just as he did when he threatened to take the football higherachy to court re Tevez deal.

DW seems all talk and no balls.
The football saga is still running, and so maybe the RL case. They must be careful not to prejudice themselves so silence is the order of the day.

It may not be over.
It still running due to Sheffield not Wigan. DW backed down and let someone else fight his fight.
It really is Sheffield's fight don't you think?

All I am pointing out is that complaining to all in sundry, media, press whatever will achieve nothing and that Whelan may well be preparing a case. I consider the man to be astute and hard nosed and overall a man who gets what he wants.

It may not be over.
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

Personally, I think we should have struck while the iron was hot. Even if we'd failed, we'd have made it the main talking-point all through the cup final and right up to and maybe into the play-offs.

This late on, I can't see it will achieve anything. We won't have our points restored in time for it to put us into the top 6. At best we'll get an apology and a restoration of our good name, though most of the league - fans, coaches, chairmen, media hounds alike - still won't accept it.

Principle or not, to take action now, when there's nothing really to gain, just seems like petulance. Whelan should sell up and let us get on with our future, starting from a clean slate.
kevsev

Post by kevsev »

I think its time for DW to "put up" or "shut up"!!

by the way isn't there a deadline by which any appeal as to be submitted by
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

It's over now anyway, according to the official club site. We aren't appealing, but get a 'credit note' for 2008, whatever that means.
botica

Post by botica »

A credit note does that mean something, are the RFL admitting they were wrong and DW accepting that as a victory?? What a cop out, a clean name would be so much better...
"Not only did they beat St Helens in the Grand Final, they did it with style" Mike Stephenson 2nd Oct 2010
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Basically we will not be over the cap next season. Thats now a fact i think as we lose 200,000 or whatever we were over off the cap.

And to be honest its the best thing. Id rather have no deductions and have an improved side in SL and have a chance on winning SL, than get the points back now and go out in the play offs.

Though i do think we would not be over next season this ensures it.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

botica posted:
A credit note does that mean something, are the RFL admitting they were wrong and DW accepting that as a victory?? What a cop out, a clean name would be so much better...
Exactly which is why the club should have followed the advice of its solicitors and appealed.

It is no use saying we were right because the RFL have given us a credit note. It will lie on the files as Wigan were guilty and no one including the club can say otherwise.

Doesn't matter how long this would have rumbled on for or what it did in the media. It is not for the Wigan club to take it on the chin for the benefit of the game.

Getting the points back now is not the issue. It never was in my book. The principle was the issue and without a court victory Wigan can not claim they have principle on their side.

The rule needed challenging as it was all about opinion about "spirit of the game" when in fact the spirit of the game is flouted in so many other ways, it is ludicrous to accept a ruling founded on such nonsense.

DW has copped out and I dare say his decision to sell is the reason. I doubt it will be on the wishes of any potential new owners but much more likely DW can't be bothered now he is selling up.

Dave
LINDSAY RUINED US

Post by LINDSAY RUINED US »

Just been reading ceefax and it says We will not be appealing against points deduction although solicitors strongly advised the club to appeal. I do not get this surely if your advisors tell you to appeal then why not after all isnt that what they are paid for. Or has Lindsay got something else to hide for example the rumour that We may be over again this season, I hope not or He is a bigger fool than what We already think.
jimofwigan

Post by jimofwigan »

I think it is a let down for everybody if they are to fall on the sword in order to apease the hostile press and Rugby league. Only know that this position of honour as it is percieved by the Wigan club will be looked on as an admission of guilt by our many enemies.The only winner is Lewis at rugby league he no longer has to justify taking points off a club for overspending the phantom ammount of £222 grand.