Good riddance PJ SB

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Warrior Wills

Good riddance PJ SB

Post by Warrior Wills »

I can’t see what the all the fuss is about in getting rid of Johnson and Briscoe!!

Neither were planned for the first team anyway, probably cover players at best, and we have plenty of those.

Just think of all the two pointers we will get against Bradford now, with Johnson’s persistent high tackling!

As far as Briscoe is concerned only time will tell if he is going to turn into a class player, cos at the moment he isn’t.

2004 Backs Starting line up :

1) Radlinski
2) Carney
3) Hodgeson
4) Aspinwall
5) Dallas
6) Orr
7) Robinson

It not that bad reading is it – would you pick Johnson or Briscoe in front of any of the above????
warriors

Re: Good riddance PJ SB

Post by warriors »

I am not really bothered about johnson going.

But Briscoe is a good player. I think that he will become a better player in the future.

I dont think that there would of been a nother person to go, insted of Briscoe.

What is your problem with briscoe?????
U couldnt of watch anuf games, to no how good he is. :angry: :angry:
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Warrior Wills posted:

I can’t see what the all the fuss is about in getting rid of Johnson and Briscoe!!

Neither were planned for the first team anyway, probably cover players at best, and we have plenty of those.
Ok, so who's your reserve fullback? Rads has missed games every season in recent times, and whilst we used to have Wes Davies (not that he was much good), Gary Connolly and Briscoe, we've now got no-one with first team experience in that position.

What we *have* got is lots of utility players, which is fine for 2nd row, loose forward, centre etc (PJ has been useful in that respect), but fullback is not a position that anyone can just slot into.

We're also light in terms of bench players for the backline. Your list of starting players is fine, but who is the reserve winger, scrumhalf, etc. Or do you expect a bench full of props and loose forwards to come on and run down the wing?

It's not a case of putting players ahead of others, but having a squad of experienced first team players who can come in when the inevitable injury crisis strikes, or even an injury during one game.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Well said Fraggle, could not have put it better myself. :D
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

I agree, well put Fraggle
Warrior Wills posted:

Just think of all the two pointers we will get against Bradford now, with Johnson’s persistent high tackling!

As far as Briscoe is concerned only time will tell if he is going to turn into a class player, cos at the moment he isn’t.

2004 Backs Starting line up :

1) Radlinski
2) Carney
3) Hodgeson
4) Aspinwall
5) Dallas
6) Orr
7) Robinson

It not that bad reading is it – would you pick Johnson or Briscoe in front of any of the above????
How quickly you forgot our injury crisis last season!
pacman

Post by pacman »

Easy to say who shouldn't have gone, but the fact is some players had to leave because of the salary cap. So if not Johnson and Briscoe, who??
Warrior Wills

Post by Warrior Wills »

We are only talking about the players like Robinson , Briscoe, Brown and Hock because of the injury problems of last year. Whos to say that there isn't another set of young talent waiting in the wings in case of the injury crisis repeating itself. You forget that Radlinski started life as a centre, whos to say that Aspinwall for example will finish as a centre. In the ideal world we would not have salary caps and we could sign or bring through who we want.

The fact is the two players have gone, get over it !!!
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

pacman posted:
Easy to say who shouldn't have gone, but the fact is some players had to leave because of the salary cap. So if not Johnson and Briscoe, who??
Why? The salary cap is the same amount next season as this season, we've gained two players (Pongia and Orr) to replace two (O'Neill and Ainscough) and who should IMO be cheaper than the latter considering Pongia was desperate for a club whereas Ainscough was a State of Origin rep before coming to Wigan, there's no overall increase in the size of the squad, yet we're getting rid of players who could be the future of the club. That's daft. If the reason in Briscoe's case is the 20/20 rule then it's time that rule was scrapped as it's just ridiculous that young British players can't be paid a reasonable wage, but there's rumours that we're getting rid of players to free up space for another player, and if that's true then the whole thing stinks.

If we were that desperate to reduce the salaries, why have we (presumably) re-signed Lam for next year? His contract was up, he can't play for 6 months but clearly Chairman Mo is expecting him to play for us again. I don't want to lose a player of Lam's undoubted skills, but if things are tight then someone should balance the one player for 6 months against young players who still have several years to give. There's something very strange going on in all of this.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

here is a little get round why didn't we put pj and sb into orrell's team for a while as we own them and they dont have any salary cap then when lam goes bring one back and so on i know we would be putting our players into union but at least they would still be our players
dont let your victories go to your head or your failures go to your heart
mario

Post by mario »

the grinch posted:
here is a little get round why didn't we put pj and sb into orrell's team for a while as we own them and they dont have any salary cap then when lam goes bring one back and so on i know we would be putting our players into union but at least they would still be our players
thats what i origanally thought dave whelen bought orrell for, to get around the salary cap. obviously not.