Space on the cap? new players or...?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Space on the cap? new players or...?

Post by ancientnloyal »

...not?

Chris wasnt on very much and with Withers retiring, what about some space on thecap for next year*?

Could Mo have 1 last flurry?

*edited
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
lucky 13

Re: Space on the cap? new play...

Post by lucky 13 »

deadline gone ? so my guess no
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
ancientnloyal

Re: Space on the cap? new ...

Post by ancientnloyal »

Oh yeh, forgot about that
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Would imagine we will have quite a lot of space for next year . Fetcher , DV must be on a wedge withers and millard retiring Ashton gone maybe calderwood and higham to go . If you look at who may be coming ie rumors to replace these should be an interesting few months hopfully.
02/04/2010/

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

The trouble is, and without wanting to state the obvious too much, all we'll be doing is replacing people we've lost.

Unless we go all out to find players who are a notable improvement on those they've replaced, then getting excited about having cap space freed up is likely to end in disappointment.

We can ill afford to be looking for stop-gaps now. No more Withers and Millard-type signings, please. From this point on, every one of them has got to count.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

TWO EYED WARRIOR posted:
lucky 13 posted:
Would imagine we will have quite a lot of space for next year . Fetcher , DV must be on a wedge withers and millard retiring Ashton gone maybe calderwood and higham to go . If you look at who may be coming ie rumors to replace these should be an interesting few months hopfully.
Theres usually a shed load of rumours going around but ive not heard many any ideas who we are being linked with?

Well most of the he has signed for us ones are slowly going because they have gone to other clubs , the ones which may still be true may depend on who takes over and if noble is in charge , if he is expect to see Coley Walker and maybe Hodgson , to this you could maybe add another couple another prop and hooker if millard and higham leave , promoting goulding and mcollorum to starting places in the 17
02/04/2010/

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Space on the cap? new play...

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

We could have a lot to play with, if we are losing 2 big money players (DV and Fletcher), 3 20/25 players (Ashton, Withersand Millard), plus the 100k (?) of the "deferred" payments.
I would spend big money on a prop and a centre, and less money on, say Kirkpatrick, Walker and Hodgson. If McIll, O'C and Goulding come on, we could be much better placed...
Am I missing something or over-stating the case?
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Exiled Wiganer posted:
We could have a lot to play with, if we are losing 2 big money players (DV and Fletcher), 3 20/25 players (Ashton, Withersand Millard), plus the 100k (?) of the "deferred" payments.
I would spend big money on a prop and a centre, and less money on, say Kirkpatrick, Walker and Hodgson. If McIll, O'C and Goulding come on, we could be much better placed...
Am I missing something or over-stating the case?
Fullback is the most important signing. Richards hasn't impressed me there, and is much more effective on the wing.
We don't need to replace Withers, Millard (if he goes; he does still have another year's contract) or Fletcher, and IMO Goulding is a more than adequate replacement for DV.

I do prefer Bailey at second row, which would mean bringing in a centre, but that's keeping Hansen & Tomkins out.

Fullback and an experienced prop are our two most urgent requirements. If anyone else leaves, it would be more or less neutral in salary terms to replace them.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

GeoffN posted:
Fullback is the most important signing.
While I agree Richards needs to revert back to the wing so by implication we need a full back, the most important signing has to be a Logan-like prop. Without such a player added to the squad we could sign the best full back in the world and we would not go much better than we have this season.

Dave
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

I think we need new buys in this order:

Prop
Full back
Prop
Centre
Hooker (if it's true that both Higham and Millard are going)

Those are the essentials. After that, as a luxury, I'd opt for a decent utility back.

Anything else after these would be a bonus.