Coley, Alker, Fitspatick and Hodgson

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
butt monkey

Re: Coley, Alker, Fitspati...

Post by butt monkey »

GeoffN posted:
Apart from Brett Hodgson, that's a very depressing sight!
Who should should we sign then? That's available, doesnt conflict with the overseas quota and doesn't put us over the Salary Cap?
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

GeoffN posted:
Hawkeye posted:
Brett Hodgson
Henry Fa'afili
Chev Walker
Andy Coley
Micky Korkidas

we could get them 5 i'll be very happy.
Apart from Brett Hodgson, that's a very depressing sight!
Well from what I was told over the weekend you had better get used to the idea of Walker. TBH I was treating all these rumours as just that until Walker was heavily hinted at by the most unimpeachable source at the club. BTW this same source said he hadn't signed any Aussies!
Banksy

Post by Banksy »

I would be very happy if we signed Brett Hodgson and Chev Walker, and as every one knows we need one more quality prop and I don't see that in Coley door discipline.
TRICKY DICKY

Post by TRICKY DICKY »

There are going to be some disappointed people when our recruitment is announced
ALL GOOD THINGS ARE WORTH WAITING FOR

WIGAN R.L.F.C. - A WAY OF LIFE
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Morph posted:
There are going to be some disappointed people when our recruitment is announced
So do you know for definate who we are going to sign for next season?
Just imagine hodgy back knew you would love that pal :D what took you so long :lol:
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

The days of a team brimmed with top class internationals are for the moment gone, unless you pay them without being caught(saints)so this signing strategy while not what you would pick without cap restrictions is probably abot as good as possible :blush:
02/04/2010/

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jinkin jimmy posted:
BTW this same source said he hadn't signed any Aussies!
Given Mo is out and Noble is supposed to do the signings these days I take it the unimpeachable source is Mr. Noble?

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

lucky 13 posted:
The days of a team brimmed with top class internationals are for the moment gone, unless you pay them without being caught(saints)so this signing strategy while not what you would pick without cap restrictions is probably about as good as possible :blush:
I don't believe it is.

The lions share of a clubs salary cap can only be spent on 20 players due to the 20/25 rule.

Do the sums. We pay the academy lads a pittance. Next season the first £3500 of their wages won't count on the cap anyway, so lets knock off a generous £100K to top their wages up. That still leaves (next season) £1.55m divided up between 25 players of which 5 can earn a maximum of £25K.

Lets suppose they do earn £25K that knocks a further £125K off the total. That still leaves £1.425m divided up between 20 players. That is an average wage of £71250. But that is an average. Some will earn more, some less.

Even with a pay rise you would not expect players like Goulding to be on that money. Ashton was supposedly made an offer of around £50K.

Once you pay anyone in RL £70K plus you ought to be talking a good solid player. Not a player like some of the Salford names mentioned who look to have achieved relegation.

Dave

Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

DaveO posted:
lucky 13 posted:
The days of a team brimmed with top class internationals are for the moment gone, unless you pay them without being caught(saints)so this signing strategy while not what you would pick without cap restrictions is probably about as good as possible :blush:
I don't believe it is.

The lions share of a clubs salary cap can only be spent on 20 players due to the 20/25 rule.

Do the sums. We pay the academy lads a pittance. Next season the first £3500 of their wages won't count on the cap anyway, so lets knock off a generous £100K to top their wages up. That still leaves (next season) £1.55m divided up between 25 players of which 5 can earn a maximum of £25K.

Lets suppose they do earn £25K that knocks a further £125K off the total. That still leaves £1.425m divided up between 20 players. That is an average wage of £71250. But that is an average. Some will earn more, some less.

Even with a pay rise you would not expect players like Goulding to be on that money. Ashton was supposedly made an offer of around £50K.

Once you pay anyone in RL £70K plus you ought to be talking a good solid player. Not a player like some of the Salford names mentioned who look to have achieved relegation.

Dave
I couldn't agree more.

Getting rid of our deadweights only to replace them with half the team who were, if anything, even worse than us this year - and maybe spicing the brew with the odd Warrington cast-off - is hardly likely to boost ticket sales.

I seriously hope the incoming administration is going to be a little more adventurous than this.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Salford have not spent up to the cap this year but I would imagine they would be around 1.3 million now you say that solid players would be on 70grand so roughly for that to add up most of these lads must be around that mark ,the youngsters accounted for in a simmalar way to ours .
I am speculating about this but if we are to spend up to the limit Baily ,Barrett, Richards ,Calderwood Lockers ,Hock, Fekka ,Lulu, Fielden, Higham would use around 0.8m then you have the likes of Goulding, Tomkins(rumored to have a decent contract)Hansen presscott would take us to around the million mark that would leave around 400g on another 6 players to make a 20 man squad the players mentioned like Walker
B Hodgeson would be on good money so that roughly fits that we would bring in a few squad players to the cap . We can all make figures up but we will have to look at the finished squad to know who's got it roughly rite . Look at some of the names and money spent on nearly getting us relegated last year and we were over the cap( :lol: ) its easy making it fit when you don't know the figures Dave O :D
02/04/2010/

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!