Superleague Marketing awards

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
wiganrugbynut

Superleague Marketing awards

Post by wiganrugbynut »

Soemthing else Wigan didn't win diddly squat in this year! Not a great surprise though one might expect...

Tetley's Rugby Super League Marketing Awards 2003
Best Supported Club: Bradford Bulls
Best Internet Site: Hull FC
Best Match Day Magazine: Leeds Rhinos
Best Mascot: JT - Castleford Tigers
Best Game Day Experience: Bradford Bulls
Best PR & Media Department: London Broncos
Best Strategic Use of a Commercial Partner: Leeds Rhinos & Cravendale Fresh Milk
Best Community Programme: Warrington Wolves

Discretionary Awards:
Wakefield Trinity Wildcats' Five Towns Partnership initiative
Widnes Vikings' Social Inclusion initiative

Fraggle

Re: Superleague Marketing awar...

Post by Fraggle »

It's hardly a surprise is it? The club seems entrenched in the thinking that they will get supporters because they have always had supporters, and there's no need to really push to get new people. And the commerical manager they brought in was hardly a big draw, she'd previously worked for that top-flight team, erm, Blackpool FC! No offence, Ms Banks, but you're hardly the most charismatic person even compared to some of your predecessors at Wigan.

I'm out of the area but did the link-up with Rock FM improve things in terms of publicity? The mascot has got to go, Max doesn't seem to have any of the interest of Kelvin (where's the possibility of Max dolls, for example?). The website has been pretty poor all year, there will apparently be profiles of the Warbabes for the 2003 season coming soon. We've had the same dreary pre-match entertainment all year, presumably someone likes that Shania Twain clone (or maybe just her legs?) but I've not found out who that person is yet.

Can we not get someone in with some fresh ideas? The rugby club needs to get the commercial side sorted, especially with the improvement of the Latics in recent times. I know they don't get the support we do but it's an unfortunate fact soccer remains a more popular and high-profile sport so sponsors will probably favour them more than us. But maybe there's concern that someone with new ideas and enthusiasm could rock the boat too much...?
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Brian Edgar

Re: Superleague Marketing ...

Post by Brian Edgar »

No surpises here then. I've no doubt that Maurice has always has the interests of the club at heart but aggressive marketing of the club has never been his strong suit. He seems solely to rely on 'on the field success' to generate support. What about the Latics, every bus in Wigan had huge advertisements promoting season ticket sales (admittedly not many were taken up!), what about Saints, they have set a pre-season target for season ticket sales and are shouting from the roof tops about what progress they are making. Absolute bugger all coming out of Wigan RL. It's like a news black out. If PJ and Briscoe hadn't left, there wouldn't have been a single news item coming out of the club during the close season. How can we be twice the size of latics yet all JJB stores stack twice as much Latics merchandise? the club seems devoid of all ideas, even on match days we are stuck in an 80's time warp with the same old suspects being brought out eg Simply the Best, We will Rock you et al. We have an outstanding club, the most famous name in the game and we are a fine sporting institution. Pity we don't have staff who can give it justice.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

I can't say I'm suprised by this either. I have to admit the away games at Leeds and Bradford are a lot more of a day out to the JJB. At JJB you get there, hear the same song from the same singer week after week, this is why most people turn up near kick off (well I think they do cos it's always busy when I get there just before kick off).

Have to agree about the marketing of Latics over Warriors. I was stood waiting to pay for my season ticket yesterday looking at all the ads and leaflets in the ticket office window, they are all Latics promos.

Having paid for me ticket she reached into a dusty drawer for a tiny bit of card saying "Mighty Max can't wait for Super League IX, can you?" Well I'd already bought the season ticket so it's pointless advertising to me now! You'd think the sponsers (i.e. Heinz, Uncle Joes and WISH) would get on their backs for underselling their brand.

As for Kelvin well I thought he looked like Homer Simpson and didn't see the attraction in him either. Max is definately a big camp gentle giant next to the Bull or Rhino's mascots.

Summut definately needs sorting at Wigan to catch up with the likes of Bradford before Super League itself can be better marketed.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

d'oh :eh:
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

well iv'e read all the comments and everyone agrees something must be done to promote the rugby club but what?at the moment if you posted leaflets through every door in the borough you would'nt get any more fans orrell probably would!for obvious reasons.if you are trying to attract more support then you have to make the team winners first! things are falling into place but not quite yet. the ground is fine the team is almost there. just a little tinkering with the entertainment before the game and at half time and maybe we may get somewhere
dont let your victories go to your head or your failures go to your heart
wiganrugbynut

Post by wiganrugbynut »

Theres tons of things we could be doin...

1. Better HT n pre match entertainment

2. Better communication in run up to games.

3. More commitment to fan satisfaction! Case in question, new away kit. I know it's not out till Feb apparently due to the suppliers, but could this not be forseen, WHO else are patrick making kits for in that period????

this is just last thing on friday idea's but i'm sure if someone sat down and though about it properly loads of initiatives would arise!

My best idea so far for the problem of teh west is a loyalty scheme whereby fans can produce a previous stub to gain a discount of say 2 quid on a follwoing match in the season.

It's not about gettin em in it's about keepin em there!!!!!!
wigan_rlfc

Post by wigan_rlfc »

Whelan prefers the Latics. Thats why there is far more Latics merchendise in JJB.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

wiganrugbynut posted:
WHO else are patrick making kits for in that period????
Rhinos new home kit has just come out, supplied by...... Patrick!
kirky

Post by kirky »

Working with Rock FM has been a disaster. I think I heard all of three stories in their news slots all season. The DJ's quite clearly don't know what they are talking about.

The only reason Rock FM came in was because Wish was taking so many listeners from the Wigan area. Yes, Rock FM paid the money, but they have done nothing for the club and should be booted out of the sponsership package.
Man and ball, man and ball!