Jake Webster

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Bendy Hendy

Re: Jake Webster

Post by Bendy Hendy »

DaveO posted:
Cruncher posted:
Top players are currently rushing past us to get to teams like Wire, Hudds, Hull KR, there are stories of widespread discord in the junior ranks, while several first-teamers and even the head coach don't apparently know what their status will be next year.

At a time when we should be strengthening for next season - having apparently given up early on this one - we're in Limbo, and it's costing us dear.
With Webster now officially confirmed at HKR and with their other potential signings of Shaun Briscoe, Clint Newton, Ben Galea and Daniel Fitzhenry the side that has beaten us twice with a bunch or ex-NL1 stars looks likely on paper to be several classes above us next season already.

I was fairly laid back a few weeks ago as rumours about King flew about thinking this was the new Wigan a club that does not speculate on signings and only announced them when they have signed on the dotted line.

Now I have come around to the view we no irons in the fire at all as regards quality signings go.

The "solution" to the prop problem will be Coley. The "solution" to the full back problem will be Richards with Colbon on the wing. And the "solution" to the centre problem will be Walker and Goulding.

If that us the extent of our plans for next season we may as well give up now.

Whatever the reason be it a protracted take over or not it isn't good enough. If it is due to the takeover our new owners are already hurting us as much as DW ever did.

Dave
Webster is NOT officially confirmed as going to Hull KR. It is meer speculation at the moment. He has said he will not tell any one where he is going until this season is over
THI CORNT RUN BOUT LEGS

GET AMUNGST UM
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Afraid he is its on TV and HKR have also confirmed him on a 3 year deal :blush:
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Matthew posted:
The reason that most people (myself included) are not terribly optimistic is because of the names we have been linked with and the players that have been signed by other clubs. We seem to be linked with cast offs and journeymen.
Exactly.
By being linked with average players the club seems to be destined to another season of at best mid table mediocrity. Last season we had one of the best players in the world to look forward to. He has struggled to carry our team and there is no-one on the horizon who appears to be able to help him. To be honest I feel a bit sorry for him. It must be depressing to be in a team where 9 times out of 10 it is up to you to do a rescuing act; knowing that if you don't do something, no-one else will.
I agree. He must be fed up of the dross he has around him.
What we need is a inspirational strike player (and please; no mention Terry coming back, the last thing we need is the most banned player in SL) who can turn a game. Currently Barrett is the only one that can do this; without him we would currently be in the mire with Salford.
Getting Newton back would mean the club was expending effort and cap money tinkering with a position where we don't have a problem while everyone is saying we need (ideally) a full back, two centres and two props.
With the signings others have made, the uncertainty of who the new owners are and the lack of exciting new players, most fans see the club going backwards - and from our current position that is not a good thing.
I think this is the first time in a long time Wigan do not appear to be recruiting players who at least get the fans interested never mind optimistic and excited. That isn't good for season ticket sales and renewals never mind throwing a carrot to the long suffering fans who are looking for progress.
As it stands, I'm just happy that their won't be any relegation next year - and that's not a joke
I don't see it as a joke. If we add Coley then I see him as a direct replacement for Fletcher - but of lower quality.

If we persist with Richards at full back we lose his talents on the wing and so are worse off in terms of scoring tries IMO and we don't do a lot of that as it is!

We will actually go backwards in my opinion if these are the type of players we get. I include HF form Wire in that because despite him being a top try scorer it is again tinkering with a position we are OK in like hooker when there are other positions crying out for quality additions to the squad.

Dave
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

Matthew posted:
centres in RU are nowhere near the size of their RL equivalents
:lol: :lol:

what a bogus comment.

have you seen the size of umaga? tindall? mortlock? FARRELL?

some centres in RU are huge and they have to be in order to put up any contest with the forwards in rucks etc. robinson is a winger, he had to size up.
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
Banksy

Post by Banksy »

what a bogus comment.

some centres in RU are huge and they have to be in order to put up any contest with the forwards in rucks etc. robinson is a winger, he had to size up.
I'll second that comment, the RU centres are big and built guys. DV are Bailey wouldn't stand a chance playing in Union centres just get trampled on.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Bendy Hendy posted:
Webster is NOT officially confirmed as going to Hull KR. It is meer speculation at the moment. He has said he will not tell any one where he is going until this season is over
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 970141.stm
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

- psycho - posted:
Matthew posted:
centres in RU are nowhere near the size of their RL equivalents
:lol: :lol:

what a bogus comment.

bogus comments...

Neither Umaga or Mortlock play in the UK (to the best of my knowledge) so they are 2 players that Walker will not have had to face. Farrell is a ex rugby league forward - so you can discount him from the typical RU centre. Tindall - the only fair example (and is a crash ball player) has only played a dozen matches this season after breaking his leg (again) and is well past his best.

Added to the fact that you are siting World Cup winners as examples - they hardly reflect the typical opposition that Walker would have faced in the centres. Baring in mind that he has struggled to even get on the pitch. One of the centres at Bath Shaun Berne (who made 29 appearances this season and has been keeping Walker out of the side) is 85KG (15KG less than Walker) or just under 13 and a half stone - not exactly a monster.

What about Catt, Flood, Gerahty, Gibson, Tait, Allen? They are all centres and none of them are exceptionally big.

Centres in rugby league tend to have to kick a lot more, the emphasis is more on speed than out and out power.
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
Banksy

Post by Banksy »

Takes from BBC position guide for the inside centre.

Think of the inside centre as a fly-half playing in midfield. In New Zealand they call them second five-eights.

But the major difference between the two positions is the players' body composition. Inside centres tend to be bigger - and a bit quicker - than fly-halves.

This means they are able to take the ball into contact (tackles) more than a number 10 normally would.

Modern day players are now leaner and stronger because the modern game is physically demanding.

Farrell can put wide passes in, he can put short passes in or take the ball into contact

But that doesn't mean modern day centres use brawn over brains.

Mathew Tait or James Hook don't try to smash through players when they play at 12. It's about using your attributes to the best of your abilities.

However the way centres play is very subjective and comes down to the individual coach's tactics for that game.

For example, take a look at Andy Farrell at inside centre. He's a guy who can distribute the ball, but he's not quick.

He has good tackling skills because of his rugby league background, but England coach Brian Ashton sees him as someone who can play the ball with his hands.

Farrell can put the wide passes in, he can put short passes in, or take the ball into contact and pass the ball out of the tackle.

Bit of both, but Leicster the team who won the Guinness Premiership have a giant back line and that was their key to success.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

GeoffN posted:
Bendy Hendy posted:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 970141.stm
Well I followed that link and it says:

"Hull KR have confirmed the signing of New Zealand Test three-quarter Jake Webster on a three-year contract.

Webster, 23, will play his last match for Queensland's Gold Coast Titans on Sunday after securing a release from the final two years of his deal.

"I'm delighted we have a player of Jake's status and international class joining us next year," Robins coach Justin Morgan told the Hull Daily Mail. "

So how is it speculation? I have never know a club to announce a signing they have not made never mind say he is on a three year deal and have the coach hail the addition to the squad. Even Mo at his worst has never gone that far in announcing a player he has not actually signed.

Dave
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

My point was that Walker would be a crash ball centre - he wasn't signed for his tactical kicking. His job would be to run at other centres out wide to break the tackle, draw the winger/fullback; releasing his own winger down the flank - as he did at Leeds. Walker should have more than enough upper body strength to play RU. Robinson although small, rarely had the ball stripped from his grasp.

Walker is not in the Bath side due to lack of size; to me it looks like he is not in the Bath side because he has been unable to do the job that he was brought in to do.
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds