Jake Webster

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
emperor kel

Re: Jake Webster

Post by emperor kel »

Strange how many teams are suddenly quoting salary cap problems, is is because the new system will be harder to fiddle
Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

if some of the rumours i am hearing from the club are true, we are in a bad way, with wholesale changes in the management and backroom teams, even nobby is unsure of his possision.

it is looking like a long long time untill we are competative again, and our fans are fickle, last year was fun it was a new experience for most, but if that is the way it is going for the next couple of years, season ticket sales will be hit badly

just my opinion
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Cruncher posted:
Top players are currently rushing past us to get to teams like Wire, Hudds, Hull KR, there are stories of widespread discord in the junior ranks, while several first-teamers and even the head coach don't apparently know what their status will be next year.

At a time when we should be strengthening for next season - having apparently given up early on this one - we're in Limbo, and it's costing us dear.
With Webster now officially confirmed at HKR and with their other potential signings of Shaun Briscoe, Clint Newton, Ben Galea and Daniel Fitzhenry the side that has beaten us twice with a bunch or ex-NL1 stars looks likely on paper to be several classes above us next season already.

I was fairly laid back a few weeks ago as rumours about King flew about thinking this was the new Wigan a club that does not speculate on signings and only announced them when they have signed on the dotted line.

Now I have come around to the view we no irons in the fire at all as regards quality signings go.

The "solution" to the prop problem will be Coley. The "solution" to the full back problem will be Richards with Colbon on the wing. And the "solution" to the centre problem will be Walker and Goulding.

If that us the extent of our plans for next season we may as well give up now.

Whatever the reason be it a protracted take over or not it isn't good enough. If it is due to the takeover our new owners are already hurting us as much as DW ever did.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

emperor kel posted:
Strange how many teams are suddenly quoting salary cap problems, is is because the new system will be harder to fiddle
Well HKR don't seem to have a problem with the salary cap.

If you mean Wire and Hull (the latter releasing Briscoe for salary cap reasons) then their salary cap "problems" have only been brought about because the players they are letting go are being replaced by better players coming in.

I would like to see us with the same problem.

Dave
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

DaveO posted:
emperor kel posted:
Well HKR don't seem to have a problem with the salary cap.

If you mean Wire and Hull (the latter releasing Briscoe for salary cap reasons) then their salary cap "problems" have only been brought about because the players they are letting go are being replaced by better players coming in.

I would like to see us with the same problem.

Dave
I must confess, I'm baffled as to how Hull KR are managing to assemble a team like this and stay within the cap. Of course, they haven't got all these players yet, but they seem very confident.

Either way, they look a lot more dynamic than us. They've already secured Webster even though they're still in real danger of relegation, play in a rubbish dump and look odds-on not to get a franchise in 2009. They must talk a much better fight than we do.
Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

Cruncher posted:
[
I must confess, I'm baffled as to how Hull KR are managing to assemble a team like this and stay within the cap. Of course, they haven't got all these players yet, but they seem very confident.

Either way, they look a lot more dynamic than us. They've already secured Webster even though they're still in real danger of relegation, play in a rubbish dump and look odds-on not to get a franchise in 2009. They must talk a much better fight than we do.
with he removal of the 50% upper limit and so in reality HKR have an extra 200,000 or so to spend, plus a liot of thier squad will be on upgraded NL1 contracts
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

Lazy J posted:
Cruncher posted:
[

with he removal of the 50% upper limit and so in reality HKR have an extra 200,000 or so to spend, plus a liot of thier squad will be on upgraded NL1 contracts
But there's still a ceiling on what you can spend.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Cruncher posted:
Lazy J posted:
Cruncher posted:
[

I suspect they've done better financially than they budgeted for; their crowds have been pretty good for a newly promoted side (averaging around 7.5k).

Also, they don't look to have a very expensive squad; Paul Cooke is probably the nearest thing to a "star" (which makes it all the more embarrassing that they keep beating our overpriced bunch of also-rans!)
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

GeoffN posted:
Cruncher posted:
Lazy J posted: with he removal of the 50% upper limit and so in reality HKR have an extra 200,000 or so to spend, plus a liot of thier squad will be on upgraded NL1 contracts
I suspect they've done better financially than they budgeted for; their crowds have been pretty good for a newly promoted side (averaging around 7.5k).

Also, they don't look to have a very expensive squad; Paul Cooke is probably the nearest thing to a "star" (which makes it all the more embarrassing that they keep beating our overpriced bunch of also-rans!)
It wouldn't surprise me if they beat us next week as well. They genuinely seem to be a club looking to the future. I don't know where our lot are currently looking.
bertina

Post by bertina »

Cruncher posted:
GeoffN posted:
Cruncher posted: But there's still a ceiling on what you can spend.

It wouldn't surprise me if they beat us next week as well. They genuinely seem to be a club looking to the future. I don't know where our lot are currently looking.
At their bank books !!