Jake Webster

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
thegimble

Re: Jake Webster

Post by thegimble »

DaveO posted:
Cruncher posted:
And don't tell me Brian Noble. He doesn't even know whether he'll have a job here in a month's time.
You keep posting references to this idea. Where does that come from? He has a contract longer than the end of this season doesn't he?

Why would he think he has not got a job at Wigan for next season when he has a contract that says he has?

In my opinion his position is no more at risk and also no more secure than any other coach with a contract that runs into next season regardless of new owners.

On what basis do you say otherwise?

Dave
All kind of rumors are flying about as weve not mentioned any signings so people are making 2+2= 6.

Signings will be made we know some already Coley, Walker. They are guranteed. People seem to forget last season we were lucky and got out of relegation. The team is better this season and will be better.

Sides like Wolves HKr who make 2-3 big name signings will struggle next season as they are will release players and have smaller squads eventually. Were doing the right thing in not signing big name stars. As people seem to forget we have the best Stand off in SL and some very good plaers.

Barrett, Feka, Filden (Needs more props to be very effective but is dong the work as 2 players), Richards.

We need the right type and from these shores not players coming for a paycheck as Webster is. Weve had enough of them over the years.
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

to be hones i don't see what everyone's problem is with coley. have you seen the guy? he's enormous! he'd really help alot in the pack.

bailey to second row?

walker. look at him at leeds, he made for calderwood and scored trys a plenty for himself.

i for one wouldn't mind walker and coley, just as long as we bring in a full back and maybe another prop. which would mean coley to second row, bailey staying at centre with gouldign as cover. i wouldnt mind at all.

as long as we sign a prop, maybe a second rower, a good centre that si actually a centre and a full back worthy of replacing ashtons pace and withers defense, then id not be to gutted.

new full back
calderwood
walker
bailey
richards
barrett
lueluia
fielden
higham
new prop
hock
coley
o'loughlin

mcllorum
hansen or a prop
feka
goulding

potentially thats a v big pack and not a bad back line depending on who we bring in.
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Weve not got a lot to go to make top 3. The standard of SL is not as good as it was. With the cap levelling out sides.

Its not like sides catching Wigan of the 80's and 90's up the gap is small.

We lost to poor sides as that smacks of complaicency to me rather than ability. Weve beaten Leeds 3 times Bulls 1 and Hull twice. Were not far off now just need to stop losing to sides we should not.
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Lazy J posted:
to me this sums up the dire state we are in, we bring in Chav (allegedly) and HKR get Webster, if it is true, where is our cap money going?

we are loosing vialiki and fletcher and are bringing in Coley etc these are very poor exchanges, that add no depth to the squad,

we have a dire pack with a luxury prop, a prop who needs to regain form fast, a back rower who cant catch

our backline is slower than a tax rebate, our scrumhalf cant pass, we have a winger at fullback etc

this may seem negative but how many more rebuilding years do we have to go through? if the rumours of unrest in the club and the u21 are true we are fecked, it will be another long hard trophyless season again. i keep waiting and hoping that we will sign a decent centre, and a prop but looking at he rumours it aint going to happen still at least theres no relegation next year :conf:

then again we have barret pity the rest of the team dont want to play for him
:eusa2:
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

DaveO posted:
Cruncher posted:
And don't tell me Brian Noble. He doesn't even know whether he'll have a job here in a month's time.
You keep posting references to this idea. Where does that come from? He has a contract longer than the end of this season doesn't he?

Why would he think he has not got a job at Wigan for next season when he has a contract that says he has?

In my opinion his position is no more at risk and also no more secure than any other coach with a contract that runs into next season regardless of new owners.

On what basis do you say otherwise?

Dave
Didn't he make some comment to this effect himself? Namely that he didn't know whether he'd be in a job next season or not?

I could be wrong, but that's entirely what I'm basing it on. Personally, I'm assuming and hoping that he'll be staying. I don't think he's the most tactically astute coach in the world, but he needs the chance to show what he can do with some willing players.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

- psycho - posted:
to be hones i don't see what everyone's problem is with coley. have you seen the guy? he's enormous! he'd really help alot in the pack.
I intend to watch him tomorrow to see what I think. He is in the squad and Salford are desperate so I expect to see him try his best regardless of any move to us for 2008.
new full back
calderwood
walker
bailey
richards
barrett
lueluia
fielden
higham
new prop
hock
coley
o'loughlin

mcllorum
hansen or a prop
feka
goulding

potentially thats a v big pack and not a bad back line depending on who we bring in.
You have Bailry down as a centre and Coley in the second row. Id that happens I give up. Bailey is no good at centre or rather not what we need. We need a strike centre and so to see king and Webstre sign for the opposition is to see two players who we need go elsewhere.

Coley in the second row is strengthening a position we have enough cover on.

But one of the big problems I have with your side is that it is truly uninspiring. Barrett apart where is the class?

Unless you expect to see a class full back and a class prop added to the mix I can't see that side doing much for season ticket sales. Too many players in it have let the fans down this season.

Assuming we have Walker we need a full back, another centre (and one who is a good strike centre) and a prop (maybe two).

Dave
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Dave O posted;
I find this a very strange post coming from you. You are the one who goes on about certain players not being of Wigan standard.
I just want to be proved wrong!

I am convinced absolutely that Basil and Nobby know more about RL than me. I will accept their signings if it brings results.

I have been the doom mongerer(?) on here for a while and have yet to have been proved wrong with my assessment of the team/squad overall.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

thegimble posted:
Weve not got a lot to go to make top 3. The standard of SL is not as good as it was. With the cap levelling out sides.

Its not like sides catching Wigan of the 80's and 90's up the gap is small.

We lost to poor sides as that smacks of complaicency to me rather than ability. Weve beaten Leeds 3 times Bulls 1 and Hull twice. Were not far off now just need to stop losing to sides we should not.
Sometimes the gap back then was small too. In 92/3 & 93/4 we only won the title on points difference. Peeple exaggerate the Wigan domination thing far too much IMO.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

DaveO posted:
- psycho - posted:
I intend to watch him tomorrow to see what I think. He is in the squad and Salford are desperate so I expect to see him try his best regardless of any move to us for 2008.
new full back
calderwood
walker
bailey
richards
barrett
lueluia
fielden
higham
new prop
hock
coley
o'loughlin

mcllorum
hansen or a prop
feka
goulding

You have Bailry down as a centre and Coley in the second row. Id that happens I give up. Bailey is no good at centre or rather not what we need. We need a strike centre and so to see king and Webstre sign for the opposition is to see two players who we need go elsewhere.

Coley in the second row is strengthening a position we have enough cover on.

But one of the big problems I have with your side is that it is truly uninspiring. Barrett apart where is the class?

Unless you expect to see a class full back and a class prop added to the mix I can't see that side doing much for season ticket sales. Too many players in it have let the fans down this season.

Assuming we have Walker we need a full back, another centre (and one who is a good strike centre) and a prop (maybe two).

Dave
Spot on IMO. Just been saying the same to her who must be obeyed! :)
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

- psycho - posted:
to be honest i don't see what everyone's problem is with coley. have you seen the guy? he's enormous! he'd really help alot in the pack.
This season he has conceded the most penalities in SL! The last thing we need is another forward that has poor discipline. He turned down the opportunity to come to us before; why should we greet him with open arms now that his current side are likely to be relegated?
- psycho - posted:
walker. look at him at leeds, he made for calderwood and scored trys a plenty for himself.
But he has been out of RL for at least a season (or is it two?) - so it will take him time to get back up to speed after sitting on the sidelines in the west country. Bath are not the best RU club in the UK and centres in RU are nowhere near the size of their RL equivalents - if he can't do a job in RU then there is absolutely no guarantee that he still can in RL.
- psycho - posted:
i for one wouldn't mind walker and coley, just as long as we bring in a full back and maybe another prop. which would mean coley to second row, bailey staying at centre with gouldign as cover. i wouldnt mind at all.

as long as we sign a prop, maybe a second rower, a good centre that si actually a centre and a full back worthy of replacing ashtons pace and withers defense, then id not be to gutted.
The reason that most people (myself included) are not terribly optimistic is because of the names we have been linked with and the players that have been signed by other clubs. We seem to be linked with cast offs and journeymen.

By being linked with average players the club seems to be destined to another season of at best mid table mediocrity. Last season we had one of the best players in the world to look forward to. He has struggled to carry our team and there is no-one on the horizon who appears to be able to help him. To be honest I feel a bit sorry for him. It must be depressing to be in a team where 9 times out of 10 it is up to you to do a rescuing act; knowing that if you don't do something, no-one else will.

What we need is a inspirational strike player (and please; no mention Terry coming back, the last thing we need is the most banned player in SL) who can turn a game. Currently Barrett is the only one that can do this; without him we would currently be in the mire with Salford.

With the signings others have made, the uncertainty of who the new owners are and the lack of exciting new players, most fans see the club going backwards - and from our current position that is not a good thing.

As it stands, I'm just happy that their won't be any relegation next year - and that's not a joke
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------