GARRETH CARVELL

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
DaveO

Re: GARRETH CARVELL

Post by DaveO »

waterside glens posted:
carvell and coley would maybe let us get the best out of fielden
Carvell would but Coley is not needed and not good enough. He is a second row and with Bailey, Hansen and Hock all capable second row players with Tomkins coming through who can play there as well why spend cap money on a position we have covered?

If he is brought in as a prop that is a mistake IMO.

Unfortunately it looks like another duff signing in the making as I don't see how it strengthens the team at all.

Dave
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

The signing of Coley would give us some size and cover for prop , even if he is used at second row it also adds competition for places that may bring the best out of Hock , the team as more or less picked itself this year and a few more players would be a plus even if we don't think some of them are world beaters , we had such players when we where at our best who we wondered the point of signing but then became favorites so this hopefully could happen again .
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rugbydav

Post by Rugbydav »

I agree with L 13, personally I think that Coley will do a job for us .. although he isn't a world beater I can see his offloads and bust ups working for us in some sort of capacity.

He has a very similar 'drive' as Fielden and Carney were instead of breaking through each time he would hit the defender (leagally of course)- hand off - then try again
Enjoy your Rugby League ..... We do!!
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I cant make my mind up about Coley. 1-2 seasons ago he was on wigan fans wish list now he seems to have lost all form. the talents there maybe nobby is the bloke to get him back into the form that took him on tour last season.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Hawkeye posted:
I cant make my mind up about Coley. 1-2 seasons ago he was on wigan fans wish list now he seems to have lost all form. the talents there maybe nobby is the bloke to get him back into the form that took him on tour last season.
Coley last season was very good for the Reds. Last night he was ok but played in a side that lacked any sort of confidence.

Hes better than the player he will replace at prop (Prescott) so for me is a good move. We need a bigger bench.
faz13

Post by faz13 »

already posted on other thread that coley would be better with playing with better players around him i think hed be a good signing
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

thegimble posted:

Hes better than the player he will replace at prop (Prescott) so for me is a good move. We need a bigger bench.
He's replacing Fletcher according to the OP; that's a step backwards IMO.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

GeoffN posted:
thegimble posted:

He's replacing Fletcher according to the OP; that's a step backwards IMO.
If he is announced as Fletcher's replacement than I agree. Is Coley as good as Fletcher? Simple answer, no = team worse off.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

lucky 13 posted:
The signing of Coley would give us some size and cover for prop , even if he is used at second row it also adds competition for places that may bring the best out of Hock ,
If he is a direct replacement for Fletcher he will start alongside Hock as Fletcher does now. There will be no more competition for places than there is now as we are shipping Fletcher out to get Coley in.
the team as more or less picked itself this year and a few more players would be a plus even if we don't think some of them are world beaters , we had such players when we where at our best who we wondered the point of signing but then became favorites so this hopefully could happen again .
It seems to me Coley isn't an out and out prop (as Fletcher isn't) so while we are desperate for one or possibly two genuine props we are signing Coley to replace Fletcher.

If our wishes come true we will also have a new centre with possibly Goulding getting the job full time as well so with Bailey, Hock and Hansen all competing for the 2nd row places it seems we are possibly recruiting Coley for a position we can cover already.

We need one (or two) props, one (or two) centres and a full back. That is where the money needs to go. Second row could be covered easily with current players if we recruited for those positions as it frees up Bailey.

Unfortunately I think we will be seeing Richards at FB, Bailey still in the centres (with Walker perhaps) with Coley replacing Fletcher and if we are lucky we might get one genuine prop (who is anyone's guess).

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Fielden has convinced me that there is a definite difference in the physique of a prop and a second rower. Fielden / Coley are stuck in no mans land physically. Why oh why do we want another Fielden type. We need 'real' props and carvell fits that bill.