COley an fitzpatrick

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
thegimble

Re: COley an fitzpatrick

Post by thegimble »

medlocke posted:
These will be superb signings, it's about time we stopped trying to sign overated overpaid aussies, we need good squad players and these are type we need. i have a feeling we will make 2 big signings on top of these signings, it makes sense to me, coley might be on a decentish wedge but the other 2 if true will be bargains, leaving enough brick for a couple of qaulity signings ie Prop/Centre, and maybe another FB as stated in the press. Certain fans need to get their heads out of their backsides and stop sayin g that certain players arn't wigan std, if we were signing players of Wigan std, we would be in a relegation battle again. :exc:
Medlocke is correct. Sigining major stars weaken sides drastically in the calibre of bench players. The 3 mentioned id be more than happy with. Especially Alker hes very good.

We have superstars on good wages we dont have enough good cover players on the bench and it shows against Saints and sides with big packs.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

thegimble posted:
Medlocke is correct. Sigining major stars weaken sides drastically in the calibre of bench players. The 3 mentioned id be more than happy with. Especially Alker hes very good.

We have superstars on good wages we dont have enough good cover players on the bench and it shows against Saints and sides with big packs.
I could not disagree more.

These other sides manage to have star players in then. Look at Saints and Leeds. They have a squad and they have top class players as well.

This notion that what you really want is a squad of average to good players does not wash.

Once again it needs saying that the 20/25 limits how you spend a very large chunk of the salary cap.

So it is easily possible to have star players in a side on quite big wages.

Given you can only have 20 well paid players I would therefore say not only can you have a few star players but you NEED a few star players if you are to entertain any hope of winning anything.

What you also need is some luck with injuries that keeps your top 20 players fit and that is regardless of whether you have any star players amongst the top 20 in your side.

As to Alker we certainly don't need him when we have Higham and McIllorum and lets not forget Millard is not confirmed to be leaving and originally came on a two year deal. We don't need four hookers at the club.

Dave
LKC29

Post by LKC29 »

pieater-alex posted:
LKC29 posted:
i was talking to Mickey higham after the game on friday and i asked him how many of the salfrod players were comming to us next season. To this he replied a few. After a bit more talking he came out and said that coley was on his way to us and it was looking like fitzpatrick was too.
I can assure everyone on this board that Mickey Higham will not of said that.
I can assure you that he did say that as I was tlaking to him while getting my sons shirt signed.
standishwarrior

Post by standishwarrior »

medlocke posted:
These will be superb signings, it's about time we stopped trying to sign overated overpaid aussies, we need good squad players and these are type we need. i have a feeling we will make 2 big signings on top of these signings, it makes sense to me, coley might be on a decentish wedge but the other 2 if true will be bargains, leaving enough brick for a couple of qaulity signings ie Prop/Centre, and maybe another FB as stated in the press. Certain fans need to get their heads out of their backsides and stop sayin g that certain players arn't wigan std, if we were signing players of Wigan std, we would be in a relegation battle again. :exc:

what aload of rubbish! did you go to the game on friday? im sorry but if your gettting exited about signing coley then you must be very and i mean VERY easily pleased!coley cant break a sweat never mind a tackle!if he's the only option of bringing in new forwards then id save the salery cap money and stick with o'carroll and prescott!!
chrisJJ

Post by chrisJJ »

medlocke posted:Certain fans need to get their heads out of their backsides and stop sayin g that certain players arn't wigan std, if we were signing players of Wigan std, we would be in a relegation battle again. :exc:
:eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: i totally agree
To be the best
you have to beat the best
stacey c

Post by stacey c »

Fitzy has been approached only today by wigan :conf:
He would love to be a warrior but no terms av been agreed yet. Before you ask - family friend :)
Warrior4eva

Post by Warrior4eva »

League Express also states Coley and Hodgson on there way to Wigan but held up due to Mo being in hospital.

Briscoe to Hull KR

The days of Wigan signing supposed world beaters are gone. Coley was in the GB team and although not great gives us a bit of strength in depth.
Look at the Bradford team would you say on paper Platt (Former Cas) McAvoy, Harris, Evans and Tupou/St Hilaire were a good set of backs. There a set of journey men that no one wanted. Its when they play as a team and the coach motivates and coaches them properly that they get the best out of them.

Our players are too comfortable and from what I hear theres a bit of unrest in camp.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Warrior4eva posted:
League Express also states Coley and Hodgson on there way to Wigan but held up due to Mo being in hospital.

Briscoe to Hull KR

The days of Wigan signing supposed world beaters are gone. Coley was in the GB team and although not great gives us a bit of strength in depth.
Look at the Bradford team would you say on paper Platt (Former Cas) McAvoy, Harris, Evans and Tupou/St Hilaire were a good set of backs. There a set of journey men that no one wanted. Its when they play as a team and the coach motivates and coaches them properly that they get the best out of them.

Our players are too comfortable and from what I hear theres a bit of unrest in camp.
exactly, Competiton for places will bring the best out of certain players who have not been performing to their best.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

medlocke posted:
Warrior4eva posted:

Briscoe to Hull KR

exactly, Competiton for places will bring the best out of certain players who have not been performing to their best.
Exactly we need a larger squad so we can get a bit of competition for places. If players have no fear of being dropped they won't play to their potential. I have said this before but too much is being spent on a couple of players.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

People have mentioned "competition for places" and a "larger squad" as if the 20/25 does not exist.

Now you can have a squad of 30 if you like but 10 of them will be earning less than £25K a year. Those are the rules.

Players on that wage are not going to be of any real quality so a larger squad is of no great use and it won't provide any meaningful competition for places.

Saints have a squad of 30 (if you count Hooper who is still listed on the club web site) but outside the top 20 earners its a case of "Who?" when you read the names and it includes the likes of Hargreaves.

This is the list of players outside the Saints 1st 17 never mind the top 20.

18. Bryn Hargreaves
19. Ian Hardman
20. Scott Moore
21. Matty Smith
22. Paul Clough
23. Maurie Fa'asavalu
24. Ste Tyrer
25. Ste Bannister
26. Kyle Eastmond
28. Dean McGilvray
29. Dave Hull
30. Chris Flannery
31. Chris Dean

With the exception of nos 23 and 30 the rest are young players and the lot of them have only played a handful of games for the club.

So basically they have a squad that is made of of 20 good players and 10 kids in Saints case.

Their first 17 is full of quality players such as Long, KFC, Roby, Gidley, Cayless, Pryce and the rest. It isn't a team of average players.

That is why they win things and Coley and Fitzpatrick would not have a hope in hell of getting a game in that team. So why are we after them?

So going on about having a large squad and competition for places is just not the way it is at the top of the league and the reason for that is down to the 20/25 rule.

What is clear is that there is no meaningful competition for places at Saints but it doesn't stop them performing.

Dave