Out of the frying pan into the fire? - lenagen

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Out of the frying pan into the fire? - lenagen

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Says on Wigan today.net that Lenegan is set to take over from Mo and wants a "hands on role" with input into selection of players!. Why cant we get someone in who will just sit back and let the coach do his job!
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Re: Out of the frying pan into...

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever19 85 posted:
Says on Wigan today.net that Lenegan is set to take over from Mo and wants a "hands on role" with input into selection of players!. Why cant we get someone in who will just sit back and let the coach do his job!
Welcome to the real world.

Do you honestly think the chairmen of any RL club - the man who signs the pay cheques has no say in player recruitment?

How do you think Paul Cooke ended up at HKR? Because Morgan went and poached him from Hull off his own bat?

Back to reality!

Dave
bertina

Re: Out of the frying pan into...

Post by bertina »

Wigan_forever19 85 posted:
Because there isn't anyone out there that will just sit back and keep signing the cheques without having any say in staff recruitment. It's the way of the world i'm afraid.
Warrior Glyn

Re: Out of the frying pan ...

Post by Warrior Glyn »

It will also mean, how much he is willing to pay players, thus avoiding another Vaialeki situation :eusa2:

This is great news in my opinion.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

pie eaters posted:
it probably doesnt mean team selection and training it probably means players they are selecting to sign.
It specifically mentioned recruitment so clearly that is what it did mean. No mention of team selection.

It is a fact the fans have been saying Mo should keep his nose out of player recruitment and let Nobby do it.

Now it appears Lenegan will be as involved in the process as Mo was.

My view is that the chairman will always be involved and saying let the coach have 100% control is unrealistic.

Perhaps it will now be obvious to the anti-Mo brigade that his past involvement in player recruitment is normal and not something to slag him off for.

Or can we expect the same criticism to be levelled at Lenegan from day one?

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Warrior Glyn posted:
It will also mean, how much he is willing to pay players, thus avoiding another Vaialeki situation :eusa2:
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
So we have gone from "Give Nobby full control" to "Its great the chairman is involved with player recruitment" !! ?? :lol:

Dave
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

I've yet to see a convincing post from one of the anti-Mo brigade deal with the fact that two of our worst signings in recent years were made by Brian Noble.

Last Friday night in the Players' Bar, an ex-player told me that Mo was against signing Withers and Millard, in fact that he was "aghast" at the very idea. But at the time he was under massive pressure and everyone was saying he should defer these matters to the coach, therefore he backed down.

I'm not actually defending Mo here - I know he's been bad news for the club in recent years, and on this occasion it sounds as though he was guilty of being weak. But it just shows that giving the coach full rein to sign whoever he wants is not necessarily the answer.

Besides, as others have said, the man who runs the club is not going to be dictated to by one of his employees. It doesn't happen in the real world of business and it won't, and shouldn't, happen in professional RL. (That doesn't mean, of course, that the coach shouldn't have major input, and that he shouldn't be fully in charge of team selection on match days, which - as Dave points out - doesn't appear to be in question here).
ultimate warrior

Post by ultimate warrior »

I dont have a problem with the chairman having an input in to the players that the club signs. As other posetrs have said, this would seem like a normal and sound business practice, as long as they take the advice of the coach.

Warrior Glyn

Post by Warrior Glyn »

Warrior Glyn posted:
It will also mean, how much he is willing to pay players, thus avoiding another Vaialeki situation

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

So we have gone from "Give Nobby full control" to "Its great the chairman is involved with player recruitment" !! ??

Dave

No coach is the game has 100% control, and if you think any different you are way off base.

What a sensible chairman will do, is evaluate the coaches wish list and the nnegotiate the contracts, this will ensure that the coach has a full and balanced squad to choose from. What ML did was pick the wish list himself and spend all the salary cap (and more) on a few misfits with no input from the coach.
It will be a completely different situation now.

Post by damien morrissey »

Lets face it any money man will always look to see where his money is being spent. If the reverse was the case they wouldnt be money men.

Why is it always a devide the chairman or the coach its a team it takes synergy at all levels to make the club work.

Let Brian pick the players he wants let the chairman go after the player and see what he can do. In this day and age you are a phonecall away. Chairman player x wants this much is he worth it and is he that valuble? coach yes he is chairman right get hgim signed no he isnt ok i will conclude things here.

Is this daft talk or common sense i dont know surely if this type of phonecall took place round the DV time then we wouldnt of wasted 3 years to build a player up to fitness on huge salary.