Briscoe signs for HKR - offical

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Briscoe signs for HKR - offical

Post by DaveO »

butt monkey

Re: Briscoe signs for HKR - of...

Post by butt monkey »

What is it that Justin Morgan sees in him that you do not Dave? After all, most of his other signings look impressive IMO, so you think he has erred with this signing?
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
DaveO

Re: Briscoe signs for HKR ...

Post by DaveO »

butt monkey posted:
What is it that Justin Morgan sees in him that you do not Dave? After all, most of his other signings look impressive IMO, so you think he has erred with this signing?
Perhaps you ought to ask Peter Sharp the same question?

IMO his main failing is his defence which I think is very suspect. Got walked right through one on one at the JJB for example when we beat them.

Dave
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

butt monkey posted:
What is it that Justin Morgan sees in him that you do not Dave?
His salary, perhaps? We should be able to afford better than Briscoe.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

GeoffN posted:
butt monkey posted:
What is it that Justin Morgan sees in him that you do not Dave?
His salary, perhaps? We should be able to afford better than Briscoe.
"Should" is your key word Geoff.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Cruncher

Re: Briscoe signs for HKR - of...

Post by Cruncher »

Whatever happens, I honestly feel that this is nothing to be gloomy about. Briscoe is an okay full-back, and that's it. He's nowt special.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I agree that we should be looking for a better option in such a key position.

However the thing that concerns me:
sporting life Rovers, who secured their Super League status with victory over their city rivals on Sunday, are thought to have beaten off late competition from Briscoe's former club Wigan to secure the services of the 24-year-old on a two-year contract.
It sounds like we have left it to the last minute again after failing to make up our mind. Whilst this could be "paper talk" - it doesn't make the prospects for signing another top quality FB look very good...

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... ll_KR.html
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Matthew posted:
It sounds like we have left it to the last minute again after failing to make up our mind. Whilst this could be "paper talk" - it doesn't make the prospects for signing another top quality FB look very good...
When the idea if him going to HKR was first mooted on rlfans I am sure it was stated by fans from Hull or HKR that the reason HKR were attractive to him was because he didn't have to move house.

The same has been said about HF from Wire supposedly coming to us.

Now you might think that sounds a less than inspiring reason to join a club like HKR over a club like Wigan especially for a Wigan lad but at the end of the day this is his job and like everyone else there are other things to consider.

It also suggests to me if Wigan were in for him then they were not prepared to make him an offer he could not refuse to return here. Given the standard of player he is that is fine by me.

Granted we do seem to be distinctly quiet in the transfer market and I am as anxious as anyone to see the ownership of the club sorted out so it can move on but I don't think Briscoe opting for HKR is great cause for concern.

Dave
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Dont think we will hear any signings until the new owner is sorted out .I am sure Nobby will have had discussions about his future and any signings that he wants to bring into the club.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO posted:
Matthew posted:
When the idea if him going to HKR was first mooted on rlfans I am sure it was stated by fans from Hull or HKR that the reason HKR were attractive to him was because he didn't have to move house.

The same has been said about HF from Wire supposedly coming to us.

Now you might think that sounds a less than inspiring reason to join a club like HKR over a club like Wigan especially for a Wigan lad but at the end of the day this is his job and like everyone else there are other things to consider.

It also suggests to me if Wigan were in for him then they were not prepared to make him an offer he could not refuse to return here. Given the standard of player he is that is fine by me.

Granted we do seem to be distinctly quiet in the transfer market and I am as anxious as anyone to see the ownership of the club sorted out so it can move on but I don't think Briscoe opting for HKR is great cause for concern.

Dave
While I've never been a big fan of Briscoe, we have been burned too many times by "making an offer they can't refuse" to players.
I'm quite happy for the club to be outbid on any player, if it means we aren't using up a disproportionate amount of our cap money on them.
We seem to be, quite rightly IMO, deciding on what a player is worth (to us) and not paying over the odds for them.
I'd have loved to see King here, for example, but not if it meant offloading 3 decent players (as Wire have had to do) to make space for him.