To and fro

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
DaveO

Re: To and fro

Post by DaveO »

medlocke posted:
Sometimes the mentality of a large amount of our fans amazes me, certain names get mentioned and all of a sudden these players are not good enough or not the Wigan standard and then one of these players gets snapped up by Stains/Bulls/Rhinos andprove to be a decent signing sometimes it beggars belief, if we had been looking to sign players that are Wigan standard, Salford would be staying up. These people need get their heads out of the clouds, surely 3 or 4 average squad players are better than 1 superstar on the same amount of money, i though it was a shame that Jordan James got released, he was an enthusiastic player, scored some trys, wasn't a game breaker but from what i have seen so far, he is far better qaulity than Danny Hill.
Another one who has forgotten about the 20/25???

If you sign average players you end up with an average team.

No one is suggesting we can sign superstars in every position.

No one thinks we can.

To imply otherwise is not right.

In this era of the salary cap what a top side needs is several players of true class backed up by good players making up the top 20 earners.

Saints have this in their squad and they just finished top of the league. It isn't a coincidence.

So what amazes me is people who suggest we will be better off with a team of average players.

Dave

gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Its a tricky one this Dave, I think its a fine line between a squad of average players and the type of team you describe. Interesting also you should mention St Helens as part of your argument, who have a larger squad than ourselves and more stars who are still probably earning less than DV and the like at Wigan. If you want to understand the point of view Medlocke (and myself in the past) are trying to get across, forget the idea of a squad full of mediocrity, which we aren't arguing on behalf of, and look at the Saints squad where you could remove pretty much any 4 decent players and they'd still be able to perform - could that be said for Wigan? Our point of view is not the exact opposite of yours, but by your responses you imply it is.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

Martin Taylor

Post by Martin Taylor »

pieater-alex posted:
medlocke posted:
pieater-alex posted:
Wigan aren't signing fitzpatrick.

Walker is a done deal correct.

And I'm unsure about Carvell , but I don't think we're bringing an english prop it's from what I heard more like an aussie.
what have you heard then
It's going to be an overseas player been linked with Wigan last season hint hint
Fui Fui, but he is not an Aussie, just plays over there? The only other prop i can think of us being linked with last season was Luke Bailey, but don't for one second think he would leave the Titans with the money he will be on there!
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

hasn't fui fui been linked to Hull?
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

Martin Taylor posted:
pieater-alex posted:
medlocke posted: what have you heard then
It's going to be an overseas player been linked with Wigan last season hint hint
Fui Fui, but he is not an Aussie, just plays over there? The only other prop i can think of us being linked with last season was Luke Bailey, but don't for one second think he would leave the Titans with the money he will be on there!
The question is, is there any substance to this, or is it just last year's rumour recycled because there doesn't seem to be anyone else left?
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

gpartin posted:
Its a tricky one this Dave, I think its a fine line between a squad of average players and the type of team you describe. Interesting also you should mention St Helens as part of your argument, who have a larger squad than ourselves and more stars who are still probably earning less than DV and the like at Wigan. If you want to understand the point of view Medlocke (and myself in the past) are trying to get across, forget the idea of a squad full of mediocrity, which we aren't arguing on behalf of, and look at the Saints squad where you could remove pretty much any 4 decent players and they'd still be able to perform - could that be said for Wigan? Our point of view is not the exact opposite of yours, but by your responses you imply it is.
It's this comment by Medlocke that is simply wrong:

"surely 3 or 4 average squad players are better than 1 superstar on the same amount of money"

That just doesn't make sense. If it did, no player in SL would be on more than, say, £50k.

The problem is not that we have too many "stars", but that those stars, except for Barrett, haven't performed well enough to justify their high wages.
lancaster077

Post by lancaster077 »

I cannot belive the names of Jordan James and Oliver Wilks have been banded about as good players.

Average players average team, Wigan need to get out of being an average to poor side very quickly by showing ambition, World class players in certain positions then sign great players for the rest.

Key positions that need world class players(in my view)

Stand Off= Barrett, Check
Scrum Half= Tommy, Not sure yet
Prop= Fecka, Check
Prop= Fielden, Could be, but not.
Hooker= Higham, Not world class but busts a bol**ck
Fullback= Dont have one
Center=Dont have one, Goulding could be (in my view)

The rest of the positions we could get away with good solid players that can catch, pass and tackle.
oh and a good sidestep would be nice too lol.
shawxshark

Post by shawxshark »

totally agree.
we could be looking something like
this next season though.
1.MATHERS(why did we let ashton go)
2.CADERWOOD
3.WALKER
4.BAILEY
5.RICHARDS
6.BAZ
7.TOMMY
8.STU
9.HIGHAM
10.FEKA
11.HOCK
12.COLEY
13.LOCKERS
14.MCILORUM(would love to see this lad get a go)
15.DANNY WARD/JASON RYLES
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

GeoffN posted:
gpartin posted:
It's this comment by Medlocke that is simply wrong:

"surely 3 or 4 average squad players are better than 1 superstar on the same amount of money"

That just doesn't make sense. If it did, no player in SL would be on more than, say, £50k.

The problem is not that we have too many "stars", but that those stars, except for Barrett, haven't performed well enough to justify their high wages.
if we bought 4 decent squad players on £30k grand each, this would be a better buy than one superstar on £120k (should of used decent instead of average)
ste lord

Post by ste lord »

shawxshark posted:
totally agree.
we could be looking something like
this next season though.
1.MATHERS(why did we let ashton go)
2.CADERWOOD
3.WALKER
4.BAILEY
5.RICHARDS
6.BAZ
7.TOMMY
8.STU
9.HIGHAM
10.FEKA
11.HOCK
12.COLEY
13.LOCKERS
14.MCILORUM(would love to see this lad get a go)
15.DANNY WARD/JASON RYLES
We let ashton go because he is a greedy little S**t bag who could have had the world at his feet if he had the patients(spelling) and we could not afford to pay a young full back a huge chunk of the sallary cap

Keep Wigan "Wigan"