Continuity, and a settled team...

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Continuity, and a settled team...

Post by GeoffN »

It's just been pointed out on the BBC site that only three of our current squad were with us when we last beat Saints; Lockers, Hansen & DV.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 988402.stm

Saints, by comparison, have 11 (of the 17 that played in that game).
DaveO

Re: Continuity, and a settled ...

Post by DaveO »

GeoffN posted:
It's just been pointed out on the BBC site that only three of our current squad were with us when we last beat Saints; Lockers, Hansen & DV.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 988402.stm

Saints, by comparison, have 11 (of the 17 that played in that game).
Don't see the relevance to be honest.

I take the point we have had a high turnover of players but this season we have had the rare luxury of playing a settled side week in week out for the most part. That should make past player movements pretty irrelevant as a factor.

Dave
Sutty

Re: Continuity, and a sett...

Post by Sutty »

Maybe it also highlights just how long it is since we last beat them. :blush: It's a good couple of seasons now isnt it?

Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

Sutty posted:
Maybe it also highlights just how long it is since we last beat them. :blush: It's a good couple of seasons now isnt it?
We've gone through these barren patches before, and so have they.

They only thing you can be sure of is that, whenever one of these two sides embarks on a winning run, it will end at some point - and quite often it's when you least expect it.

I'll never forget Saints stuffing us at KR one Boxing Day when they were total crap and we were the team of all the talents.

I still say that if Wigan play to their full potential, they're a match for any side in Britain on their day.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Cruncher posted:
I still say that if Wigan play to their full potential, they're a match for any side in Britain on their day.
I know it's all hypothetical and if's and buts. But IF we hadn't lost the two silly games to Hull KR and the daft loss to Harlequins. IF we hadn't had the four points deducted this season, then we would be pushing for 2nd spot.

Not bad for a team in a re building process. I think, like Cruncher said, that we have got great potential. If we can still finish in the playoff's it's not too bad considering how bad we have played in a lot of matches and the salary cap deduction.

If we can get some consistency going and sign one or two decent players we "should" be pushing for honours in the next few years.

thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Sutty posted:
Cruncher posted:
I know it's all hypothetical and if's and buts. But IF we hadn't lost the two silly games to Hull KR and the daft loss to Harlequins. IF we hadn't had the four points deducted this season, then we would be pushing for 2nd spot.

Not bad for a team in a re building process. I think, like Cruncher said, that we have got great potential. If we can still finish in the playoff's it's not too bad considering how bad we have played in a lot of matches and the salary cap deduction.

If we can get some consistency going and sign one or two decent players we "should" be pushing for honours in the next few years.
Losing to Quins at Quins is no big embarresment. They do win a few at home. But losses to HKR and the 4 point deduction has hammered us this season. We could have been in top 3.

Were not a bad side now just losing focus on some games. Even Wakey away we should have beaten. If we recruit well for the next season we will push for top 2.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Sorry, I meant the Wakey away game that we should have won. :blush:

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Sutty posted:
Yes but we didn't win it and so contrary to other opinions in this thread the fact we didn't means we are NOT a top 3 side.

It is like saying if we had not lost we would have won.

If you want a "true" league position for us this season then just add the four points lost due to the salary cap back on. You can't say we should have the points lost to HKR and Wakey (what about Hudds away as well - that was awful) because we did actually lose the games.

Put the four salary cap points back and the best we could get is 4th.

Dave

thegimble

Post by thegimble »

DaveO posted:
Sutty posted:
Yes but we didn't win it and so contrary to other opinions in this thread the fact we didn't means we are NOT a top 3 side.

It is like saying if we had not lost we would have won.

If you want a "true" league position for us this season then just add the four points lost due to the salary cap back on. You can't say we should have the points lost to HKR and Wakey (what about Hudds away as well - that was awful) because we did actually lose the games.

Put the four salary cap points back and the best we could get is 4th.

Dave

We should not have lost twice to HKR. We did as we were awful at both games. We go to HKR and turn them over. It is the lask of focus against lower sides that has caused us the most problems this season.

Weve beaten Leeds 3 times yet lost to HKR twice. We need to be more consistant. If we make the play offs i do think we could win a game or 2.

But the lack of consitancy makes me feel we will lose and miss out. I bet the Bulls would rather face Wolves than us and that goes for Leeds, Hull and Huddersfield. As if we gt it right we can beat them all away.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

thegimble posted:
We should not have lost twice to HKR. We did as we were awful at both games.
But that is the point though we did lose despite coming up against nothing special in HKR.
We go to HKR and turn them over. It is the lask of focus against lower sides that has caused us the most problems this season.
Winning at HKR was not that impressive IMO due to the fact their season was over and the pressure off. As to losing focus against lower teams a side with genuine top 3 credentials would not do that.
Weve beaten Leeds 3 times yet lost to HKR twice. We need to be more consistant. If we make the play offs i do think we could win a game or 2.
Possibly.
But the lack of consitancy makes me feel we will lose and miss out. I bet the Bulls would rather face Wolves than us and that goes for Leeds, Hull and Huddersfield. As if we gt it right we can beat them all away.
The lack of consistency is what makes me think despite the potential shown in wins against top sides we won't be able to string enough wins together to get far in the play-offs.

I will even say if we beat Saints we will lose away in the 1st round of the play-offs because this side seems to win a tough game then relax in the next (theoretically) easier game.

Funnily enough if we lose to Saints but sneak in due to a Salford victory I think the players would approach the 1st round of the play-offs in a better frame of mind!!

The lack of consistency that saw us lose to the likes of HKR is why we are not a top three side.

I think until Wigan can be consistent we can only be classed as a mid table side who can occasionally raise their game to beat a top three side.

Dave