Another signing for HKR !!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
bertina

Another signing for HKR !!

Post by bertina »

Just appeared on BBC sport that HKR have signed West Tiger's utility back Daniel Fitzhenry on a two year deal.
There must be plenty of HKR'S current squad getting twitchy with all these new signings.
warriors10

Re: Another signing for HKR !!

Post by warriors10 »

2 words.. salary cap! they don't wanna be doin a wigan
GeoffN

Re: Another signing for HK...

Post by GeoffN »

warriors10 posted:
2 words.. salary cap! they don't wanna be doin a wigan
True, but I think they've also been surprised by the amount of support (and therefore income) that they've had this year. I think they've found that they've got more to spend than they expected to have. Their existing squad (before all these signings), with the exception of Cooke, won't be that expensive.
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

Hull KR have bought a lot of good players how ever it could backfire on them. Justin Morgan has kept Hull KR in the Super League my keeping most of the same squad from last season instead of doing what most promoted teams do and try and buy loads of new players.

When Cooke signed for Hull KR the standard of there performances actually decreased for a while. Hull KR's season could depends on how long it takes there new players to settle in. Wigan have shown that the days of being able to buy your way up the league are long gone.
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

You've got to admire their gall, but I have a sneaking feeling that, in the age of the salary cap, all this is too good to be true.

Their fans are now predicting they'll be signing Clint Newton as well.

If so, there's no way these sums add up.

One theory is that they're so uncertain they'll get a franchise that they're going all-out next season to make themselves the team to beat. Their view being that points deduction won't mean anything if they're going to get kicked back to NL1 anyway.

But I'm now starting to wonder about this 'live salary cap' thing. It's all very well Hull KR saying: "You can't stop us fielding all these players in 2008 because we actually signed them in 2007." But, in an era when the RFL are supposed to be actively intervening to stop teams busting the cap, can you really see them allowing a team to take the field, which is the result of blatant overspending?

Maybe I'm fantasising about this. But imagine if Wigan had been announcing signings like this every other day. There'd be an uproar and deafening demands for an investigation.

I've heard all the arguments about Rovers having £400,000 more to play with than they used to have. But surely the names they've announced in the last couple of weeks should easily have gobbled that up. And this business about them unloading the 'dead wood'. We at Wigan know how difficult and expensive that can be.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

The other thing that I have noticed is that they seem to be signing a lot of backs. Most of KR's "sparkle" came from half back - however they seemed to be obssesesed with strengthing their backline rather than their pack.

A good back line with a weak pack will still find it hard to win games
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

adrenalinxx posted:
Wigan have shown that the days of being able to buy your way up the league are long gone.

I'd like to try and do it though :exc:
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Matthew posted:
The other thing that I have noticed is that they seem to be signing a lot of backs. Most of KR's "sparkle" came from half back - however they seemed to be obssesesed with strengthing their backline rather than their pack.

A good back line with a weak pack will still find it hard to win games
Ben Galea and Clint Newton (if signed) are forwards, Dan Fitzhenry has played hooker.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Cruncher posted:
I've heard all the arguments about Rovers having £400,000 more to play with than they used to have. But surely the names they've announced in the last couple of weeks should easily have gobbled that up. And this business about them unloading the 'dead wood'. We at Wigan know how difficult and expensive that can be.
The names that have signed are:

Galea, Fitzhenry, Briscoe, Webster and Walker. If C Newton signs as well that will be 6 very good players who will all command a very good salary.

They will obviously be 20/25 players so I wonder how much that leaves to spend on 14 other 20/25 players?

Do they have an academy side? That costs money.

I think its time the RFL started to take an interest.

Dave
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

So out of 6 signings they have one confirmed forward and a guy that can cover at hooker - think their pack might be a bit weak next year.

Don't think that the RFl will be interested - not unless they start spelling Hull Kingston Rovers WIGAN
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds