stupid adrian morley

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southern warrrior

stupid adrian morley

Post by southern warrrior »

i read yesterday on an aussie news site that adrian morley was arrested for drink driving for the second time in salford before xmas he then tried to run away and when caught by the police said his name was tommy smith to which the copper replied well thats different to what it said in the programe in the test last week adrian !!!! what a complete idiot well now the rugby league chiefs want to ban him worldwide for 6 months to which the roosters are not very happy with of course this was the first time i had heard of this as anyone else. how stupid is he after playing for great britain in the think dont drive test series what a let down he is. if you want to read this story its here.http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,86 ... 14,00.html :sly: [/code]
Fraggle

Re: stupid adrian morley

Post by Fraggle »

The guy is an idiot off the pitch as much as he is on the pitch. People keep saying bring him to Wigan but I maintain he is a liability and not worth the effort. Drink-driving is not forgivable (especially a 2nd offense), his three year driving ban is more than justified and given that the RFL were liked with the Think! Road Safety campaign for the last test series it's time the game's authorities dealt with him properly. What a terrible advertisement for the game he is, and surely an embarressment to the RFL and their sponsors.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

i agree he was stupid but hang on a bit if you got done for drink driving would you expect to be banned from working for 6 months supposing you put cherries on cakes and where stopped from doing so!its nothing to do with his rugby its a civil matter and thats how it should stay.if he gets a driving ban which i hope he does for a long time thats his punishment and thats an end to it.players dont involve the police everytime there is a high tackle so why shuld the rl get involved in this matter
dont let your victories go to your head or your failures go to your heart
Portsmouth Warrior

Post by Portsmouth Warrior »

I think your comments would be fair enough if it were you or me, but this guy is in the public eye. Whats more he was over here on a high profile rugby league tour who's main sponsor was an anti drink driving campaign.
I think he has acted like a complete prat and deserves everything he gets.
We have enough football players setting a bad example to our kids without rugby league getting in on the act. The RL can not be seen to be supporting this kind of behaviour from one of it's stars.
Pies are nice, and so are mice !!
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Portsmouth Warrior posted:
We have enough football players setting a bad example to our kids without rugby league getting in on the act. The RL can not be seen to be supporting this kind of behaviour from one of it's stars.
I have to agree Grinch, work and private life are totally unrelated. There'll be nothing written down about being banned from RL if you drink drive. It'd be like making new laws up. You do commit an offence and receive a just punishment, not a just punishment and then some more for good measure. I think getting banned from driving for three years will be deterant enough.

Even if the RL don't act it deosn't mean they are supporting his actions. They have no control, and shouldn't have any control, over what players do in their own time.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

robjoenz posted:
I have to agree Grinch, work and private life are totally unrelated. There'll be nothing written down about being banned from RL if you drink drive. It'd be like making new laws up. You do commit an offence and receive a just punishment, not a just punishment and then some more for good measure. I think getting banned from driving for three years will be deterant enough.

Even if the RL don't act it deosn't mean they are supporting his actions. They have no control, and shouldn't have any control, over what players do in their own time.
Except that the Drink Driving campaign people can turn around to the RFL and say that they want nothing more to do with the sport since one of the most high-profile players in the GB squad (especially after the first test!) has brought bad publicity to the whole advertising campaign. They will have paid money to the RFL to be associated with the test series, and could well feel their money has not been spent wisely. RL has enough trouble getting sponsors as it is without the players putting existing deals at risk with their stupidity, regardless of whether it's in their private life or not.

Morley is a celebrity, in the public eye, he gets paid handsomely for what he does, and that means he has a responsibility to those who pay his wages. Jepadising the RFL's sponsorship agreements is hardly a responsible act, and the RFL should, in my opinion, be taking action against him. I certainly would be punished by my employers if I did something to embarrass their image, regardless of any punishment dealt out by the police or the courts.

And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....

[hr]
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

i understand your concerns but just because tetleys sponser leeds doesnt mean they all drink tetleys and i dont think every one in castlefords team are in the g.m.b union the sponsers had there moneys worth of exposure during the competition now its over months ago! as for being in the public eye he doesnt even play over here and anyone outside the north west has never heard of him. there has to be a point where private matters are just that!
dont let your victories go to your head or your failures go to your heart
Portsmouth Warrior

Post by Portsmouth Warrior »

I live in Portsmouth and I have heard of him, I expect southern warrior may have some idea of who he is as well. In fact i know that every single first team member of the Portsmouth Rugby Club has heard of him because we all watched him get sent off after 5 seconds in the first test.
Question??
I work for a large multi national company. A few years ago one of our Senior Account Directors got drunk on a flight on the way back from America and ended of having all but sex with the passeneger who she met on the flight next to her in business class. The story hit the news and the companies name was in all the papers, she was however flying at night. i.e her own time.
Should she have been sacked???
try to answer without saying, wey hey, good girl...
Pies are nice, and so are mice !!
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

the grinch posted:
i understand your concerns but just because tetleys sponser leeds doesnt mean they all drink tetleys and i dont think every one in castlefords team are in the g.m.b union the sponsers had there moneys worth of exposure during the competition now its over months ago! as for being in the public eye he doesnt even play over here and anyone outside the north west has never heard of him. there has to be a point where private matters are just that!
I found the following article on the web at http://www.bradfordbulls.co.uk/bb_news_ ... newsid=383, the most relevant bits are repeated here:-

Commenting on the new sponsorship, the Rugby Football League's Executive Chairman Richard Lewis said,

"We are delighted to enter into this partnership with the Department of Transport. The 'Think!... Don't Drink Drive' campaign is an extremely important initiative and the Great Britain team and this exciting international tour will give it a tremendously increased profile."

Lewis added, "As a sport Rugby League has always prided itself on its social responsibility and this partnership is a tremendous way of both illustrating this and promoting the anti drink drive message."

David Jamieson, Road Safety Minster said:

“With nearly 10 drink-drive related deaths and 345 injuries each and every week – it is vital that we keep up the pressure on motorists who continue to drink and drive. Despite being aware of the dangers a small minority of drivers don’t listen to the advice. Not only are these reckless drivers breaking the law and facing a £5000 fine - they are risking their own lives and those of other road users.�

As part of the agreement with the Department of Transport, an anti drink drive policy will be included in contracts for players, managers, coaches and staff of all Rugby Football League representative teams. The policy will also be circulated as an addendum to employment contracts for the all Rugby Football League staff.

---
Morley hasn't shown much social responsibility with his actions. And what about this anti drink drive policy? He presumably signed that, and his actions must have broken that contract. If I break my contract I get sacked, although I know sport isn't quite so bound by such things. But he is presumably one of those people the Road Safety Minister refers to, and is hardly a good example. Apparently (http://sport.guardian.co.uk/rugbyleague ... 72,00.html) he also gave false details to police and tried very hard to avoid arrest by running away. Not very professional.

So the sponsorship deal was only for one year, but a 6 figure sum was involved which is a lot of money in anyone's books, there's not so much money in rugby league that such money can be ignored.

[hr]
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

well, he's escaped a playing ban hasn't he. Lewis said that he had served his punishment from the police, although he was disappointed in the light of the Think! series. At the cost of £500 to the RFL