Chev Walker

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Matthew

Re: Chev Walker

Post by Matthew »

I can't say I really blame DW (IF it was him) for not wanting to pay a transfer fee for Walker. As he would be selling the club he may have not wanted to part with £100K when it would not benefit him. At the end of the day DW bought Wigan RL as a business not a hobby. His hobby is the moneypit that is the latics.

It's all very well saying that £100K is chickenfeed to DW and IL - however it is probably the equivalent of the average person giving away a couple of hundred quid. Most rich people didn't get rich by giving away money - a lot of them are tighter than "average" people!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

it wasnt whelan that said no that was Lanaghan
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Matthew posted:
I can't say I really blame DW (IF it was him) for not wanting to pay a transfer fee for Walker. As he would be selling the club he may have not wanted to part with £100K when it would not benefit him. At the end of the day DW bought Wigan RL as a business not a hobby. His hobby is the moneypit that is the latics.

It's all very well saying that £100K is chickenfeed to DW and IL - however it is probably the equivalent of the average person giving away a couple of hundred quid. Most rich people didn't get rich by giving away money - a lot of them are tighter than "average" people!
Surely when someone completes a take over, he purchases all assets - of which Walker would have been one. This would have been recuperated upon the selling price. :doz:
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

TWO EYED WARRIOR posted:

What does not happen is a potential buyer dictating policy to the seller. It simply is not allowed and is not part of due diligence.
We obviously dont know whats gone on behind closed doors dave,
The point I was making that due diligence does not give a buyer any right to call the shots at a takeover target. It is basically an open book exercise and given there were two parties bidding for the club there is no way it could have been anything else. So there can be no suggestion of deals like "I will take over if you don't sign Walker" behind closed doors.

The two bidders will have had to convince DW to sell it to them. It wasn't up to DW to convince them to buy by meeting any demands not to sign players.
but nevertheless it seems the walker deal wasnt going to happen unless whealan was prepared to fund the transfer and would then fall under the due dilligence.
No that is not the issue. The speculation is Lenagan stopped the transfer. For him to do that he MUST own the club already. It has nothing to do with due diligence as due diligence is an enquiry exercise.

If, under due diligence, Lenagan saw that Wigan were about to sign Walker for £100K there is nothing he could do about it except take that deal into account when he decided to make an offer.
Reading between the lines whealan isnt going to do as hes washed his hands of the club and lost complete interest.And no way was leneghan going fund the transfer as officially hes not completed the take over.Unless someone knows different.
As I keep saying either one or the other of them owns the club. To suggest the club wanted Lenagan to fund the deal when he didn't own it is crazy IMO but that isn't what has been suggested in the press. The press speculation is that Lenagan's first act of policy was to can the deal (meaning his first act as new owner).
As I said, Lenagan owns it already or he does not. Depending which it is he either has no business dictating things to the club or he has not been prepared to sanction the deal.

Either way we have a situation where Nobby wanted a player and has not got him and the rumour is this is because of interference from above.
The rumour has come from that notable source the evening post, i tend to take there comments with a pinch of salt, if we look at the facts no one knows anything other than MO/Whealan/leneghan i do hope it is only down to the contracts between whealan / new owners that has affected any deal rather than new owners not rubber stamping any deal, which personally i think it is
The only things we know are Noble said Walker was signed (courtesy of JJ) and now he is a HKR player. What we also know is that whoever owned the club at the time this happened let the player Nobby wanted slip through the net. If that was Lenagan canning the deal (which is what the speculation says) then that is not a good thing IMO if you want the coach to determine the players signed.
Dave im well aware that tranfer fees dont count on salary cap but your not telling me that walker wont come back for a similar salary than he is getting at barth?
So how much was he getting at Bath? HKR seem to be able to afford it under the cap having already signed several other high profile players.
if chav or his agent where demanding that sort of salary then i think that would have quashed any sort of deal as i suspect wigan have firmly got the policy that no more huge salaries for any player.

I am not convinced Walker was demanding mega bucks. It was a buyers market for a start as far as the player went as he wanted to return to RL.
Just one question ive got for you, is do you think the report that Shaun edwards has supposedly done on the current playing staff having any influence on leneghan decision making, working on the theory that he has taken full control of the club?
I have no idea but what has that got to do with the Walker deal? I don't see the connection.

Are you suggesting Lenagan has decided we don't need a new centre based on Edwards report? :eusa17:

Dave
LORENZO

Post by LORENZO »

The current owners will now wish to bask in any glory available from the play-offs so the sale is unlikely to proceed until we win or are knocked out.
Don't forget also that MO has been in his sick bed for a few weeks and is unlikely to have been to involved with any sale negotiations, player contracts etc.
In the meantime Mr L. is unlikely to splash his money around on something he does not yet own.
Until the sale is completed we are going to be in limbo land.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

LORENZO posted:
The current owners will now wish to bask in any glory available from the play-offs so the sale is unlikely to proceed until we win or are knocked out.
The speculation is the sale has already occurred and it will not be announced until the season is over for Wigan.
Don't forget also that MO has been in his sick bed for a few weeks and is unlikely to have been to involved with any sale negotiations, player contracts etc.
In the meantime Mr L. is unlikely to splash his money around on something he does not yet own.
Until the sale is completed we are going to be in limbo land.
If the sale has occurred we should not be in limbo and it will have been Lenagan who let Walker slip through the net.

Dave
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Wait till he comes back online TEW. It'll make War and Peace look like the beano!! :lol: