Fitzpatricks A Target

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
butt monkey

Re: Fitzpatricks A Target

Post by butt monkey »

DaveO posted:
I think it is unreasonable for Wigan and somewhat cheap to be offering a pay as you play deal. It's as if they want the player on the cheap and any player worried about being injured in case his pay drops is not going to go in full-tilt is he! It is a stupid idea so they should have decided if he is worth a contract or not have bothered.

Dave
Cruncher posted:
I agree. Offering a lad 'pay as you play' is virtually saying "we're not sure you're right for us", in which case why have him taking up a squad space?
I agree with you both. It is a very unWigan-like attitude. Wigan do need to protect themselves from potential "crocks" (perhaps Withers fits that bill and DV before him), but Wigan do need to counter any offers with an actual desire and motivation to perform, from any potential signing.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

butt monkey posted:
DaveO posted:
I think it is unreasonable for Wigan and somewhat cheap to be offering a pay as you play deal. It's as if they want the player on the cheap and any player worried about being injured in case his pay drops is not going to go in full-tilt is he! It is a stupid idea so they should have decided if he is worth a contract or not have bothered.

Dave
Cruncher posted:
I agree. Offering a lad 'pay as you play' is virtually saying "we're not sure you're right for us", in which case why have him taking up a squad space?
I agree with you both. It is a very unWigan-like attitude. Wigan do need to protect themselves from potential "crocks" (perhaps Withers fits that bill and DV before him), but Wigan do need to counter any offers with an actual desire and motivation to perform, from any potential signing.

Hmmm or look at it this way, Prove you are good enough for a club like Wigan! Wakey used the same technique with Bibbey (dont laugh) and one other who i think was Moore (but await correction) If fitzpatrick has an injury, wigan have done the right thin?g in not offering a permanent contract, personnaly i dont think hes good enough but would be a usefull squad player but if he can get a better deal at slaford good luck to him, after all its his job, and would you work for "jam tommorrow"?
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Lazy J posted:
Hmmm or look at it this way, Prove you are good enough for a club like Wigan!
Wigan should already have a view on if he is good enough or not and should only make offers to who they think are good enough.
If fitzpatrick has an injury, wigan have done the right thin?
Injury is part of the game. All Wigan's other players are contracted so if injured the club has to pay them. If Fitzpatrick could pass a medical and prove his fitness showing he has had no ill effects then I can't see how Wigan could justify playing him on a pay as you play deal compared to say Hock and Lockers who have both had serious injuries in the past.

Perhaps Wigan thought being Wigan a pay as you play deal would be attractive to him but it looks like they misjudged that one.

As someone else said it is very "un-Wigan like" and when you consider this is his job then how on earth can they expect him to not know if he is going to be getting any wages from one month to the next?

Pay as you play might have had a place when the game was semi-pro when players had other income from an ordinary job as well but not any more IMO now the players are full time.

The fact Wakey did it is not credit to them IMO and we should not be doing the same.

Dave