Robbie Paul

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Matthew

Re: Robbie Paul

Post by Matthew »

demt82 posted:
and we could be once again fighting relegation
no relegation next year - it's franchise time!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

demt82 posted:
Hawkeye posted:
Can see it happening. he also didnt deny the e-mail on boots n all when asked are you goin to wigan next season.

Dont think many people would be to happy but IMO Paul for a season wouldnt be to bad. was outstanding i thought last night. give him a 1 year deal and at the end McIllurom will be totally ready for the big time.

but thats just my opinion
If you look at the signings of other clubs to our supposed signing of Danny Ward & Robbie Paul it shows the lack of ambition of the new chairman, and we could be once again fighting religation with crowds of 16000 and enough money in the bank to help out Northern Rock, I really hope these signings are not true I am sick of other clubs hasbins, what the hell has happened to our once proud club who set the standards. Its not the fans who have let the club down, are we really picking up the scraps from Hull KR who have been in our league for a year & have given a free transfere to Ward because he was not good enough for them.( Or maybe other reasons?)
At the end of last season when we signed Millard and Withers people moaned about the same thing. People will deny it now. Were still in with a chance of getting to the GF with a an average side. SL standards has droppped there is not much ability in the game compared to 5-6 years ago.

Its better for us to wait and see before starting to debate where we will be next season.
demt82

Post by demt82 »

thegimble posted:
demt82 posted:
Hawkeye posted:
Can see it happening. he also didnt deny the e-mail on boots n all when asked are you goin to wigan next season.

Dont think many people would be to happy but IMO Paul for a season wouldnt be to bad. was outstanding i thought last night. give him a 1 year deal and at the end McIllurom will be totally ready for the big time.

If you look at the signings of other clubs to our supposed signing of Danny Ward & Robbie Paul it shows the lack of ambition of the new chairman, and we could be once again fighting religation with crowds of 16000 and enough money in the bank to help out Northern Rock, I really hope these signings are not true I am sick of other clubs hasbins, what the hell has happened to our once proud club who set the standards. Its not the fans who have let the club down, are we really picking up the scraps from Hull KR who have been in our league for a year & have given a free transfere to Ward because he was not good enough for them.( Or maybe other reasons?)
At the end of last season when we signed Millard and Withers people moaned about the same thing. People will deny it now. Were still in with a chance of getting to the GF with a an average side. SL standards has droppped there is not much ability in the game compared to 5-6 years ago.

Its better for us to wait and see before starting to debate where we will be next season.
Withers was a disaster for the club, so the people who moaned were right, players of his age usually are carrying injuries from years of being battered and as for Millard, he is retiring at the end of the season with a knee injury, enough said.If we had any injuries to the squad we would have been in trouble.
I honestly believe that the standard of the game has improved both in speed and fitness of the players, and the old debate of are players better than 6 years ago speaks for its self. The only area where I feel that game has not improved is with referees, Ganson as an example. He is lacking fitness and finds it hard to maintain 10 mts for the full game. And why do we always get Ganson or Clown? are there only 2 refs in Super League?
Doctor of medicine.(MBcHB)
You will be asleep soon.
Its only a little prick!
Shevi 4 life

Post by Shevi 4 life »

thegimble posted:
demt82 posted:
Hawkeye posted:

I dont think the games standard is droping i think its becoming a lot fairer and unlike football there arent 3 teams who win it and pay millions of pounds for player,think about mid-season bottom was 13points 4th was 20 cmon you cant beat that.Each match is high intensity and either team can win,also rugby league is a very quick sport with very few stopages and we dont kick balls around aimlessly
There expanding knowsley road from 3 car park spaces to 4
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

thegimble posted:
At the end of last season when we signed Millard and Withers people moaned about the same thing. People will deny it now.
Why would they deny it now? Withers had to retire and Millard is facing an operation and has generally been poor. These two are hardly major reasons why we are where we are.

As was said before last season, throughout this season and now into the play-offs their wages would have been better spent on a prop forward. I don't see any reason to change that opinion.
Were still in with a chance of getting to the GF with a an average side. SL standards has droppped there is not much ability in the game compared to 5-6 years ago.
So its OK to sign Paul while Wire sign King etc is it?

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Shevi 4 life posted:
I dont think the games standard is droping i think its becoming a lot fairer and unlike football there arent 3 teams who win it
Well tell me the number of different teams to win a GF then and who they are?

Also just because something appears fair doesn't mean it is of a high standard.
and pay millions of pounds for player,think about mid-season bottom was 13points 4th was 20 cmon you cant beat that.
That proves nothing about the standard of play except it was close. It doesn't mean it was quality.
Each match is high intensity and either team can win,also rugby league is a very quick sport with very few stopages and we dont kick balls around aimlessly
The 20/25 ensures there are plenty of low intensity matches. Why? Well any side with a few injuries is reduced to playing kids. The standard of the team drops and so the intensity goes down. They may also lose a game or two because of it as well so we end up with a seemingly close competition.

I would also point to the home games against HKR and ask do you honestly think those were high intensity? Our win v Saints was but that match was on a different plane than some of the others. The game at home v Hudds was a drab affair for example.

A close league does not inevitably equal quality or intensity. It is another of those lies, damned lies and statistics sorts of things.

Dave
ste lord

Post by ste lord »

Its in todays daily Express that he will be signing for salford this week possibly tomoro

Ste

Keep Wigan "Wigan"

thegimble

Post by thegimble »

DaveO posted:
thegimble posted:
At the end of last season when we signed Millard and Withers people moaned about the same thing. People will deny it now.
Why would they deny it now? Withers had to retire and Millard is facing an operation and has generally been poor. These two are hardly major reasons why we are where we are.

As was said before last season, throughout this season and now into the play-offs their wages would have been better spent on a prop forward. I don't see any reason to change that opinion.
Were still in with a chance of getting to the GF with a an average side. SL standards has droppped there is not much ability in the game compared to 5-6 years ago.

Dave
Where the heck have i said its ok to sign Paul. As for Wire getting King at what cost a depleted squad. Weve been there where we sign so called big named players and end up weakening the side to accomadate a big earner.

As for Withers even on 1 leg hes a better FB than Ashton is. Ashton lost his bottle completly this season.

As for Millard for the last few weeks hes played ok. Does nothing special but hes dependable. Pity he is injured as no player should have to go out of the game due to an injury thats bad luck.

Wire signed Morley, anderson last season people monaed about our ambition for not getting them especially as we need a prop. Where are Wire now. Wire will not make top 6 next season as they are losing players from the squad. They flatter to deceive thats the Wire way. So they can sign who they want but this season they failed to make top 6.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Shevi 4 life posted:
thegimble posted:
demt82 posted: If you look at the signings of other clubs to our supposed signing of Danny Ward & Robbie Paul it shows the lack of ambition of the new chairman, and we could be once again fighting religation with crowds of 16000 and enough money in the bank to help out Northern Rock, I really hope these signings are not true I am sick of other clubs hasbins, what the hell has happened to our once proud club who set the standards. Its not the fans who have let the club down, are we really picking up the scraps from Hull KR who have been in our league for a year & have given a free transfere to Ward because he was not good enough for them.( Or maybe other reasons?)

I dont think the games standard is droping i think its becoming a lot fairer and unlike football there arent 3 teams who win it and pay millions of pounds for player,think about mid-season bottom was 13points 4th was 20 cmon you cant beat that.Each match is high intensity and either team can win,also rugby league is a very quick sport with very few stopages and we dont kick balls around aimlessly
The standard now in SL is at its lowest. There are only for me 1 World Class british players in the game today. That is 1 player that would make it the World 13.

Cunningham - Still the best hooker in the World.

Were now full of squads with mediocre players. Look at the Lions side its a very poor side now compared to 3-4 years ago. At least that side would have given the Aussies a challenge. The side now will be hammered.

Even Brown looks a decent player when we had him he was poor. The cap is not giving us a better quality game its giving us an equal game. That does not make it better quality just make eveyone the same. Weve gone down to the levels of Hull, Wakey, Quins. they have not come up.

even the present Saints side is weaker than the Millward and Hanley sides.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

thegimble posted:
DaveO posted:
thegimble posted:

You said people would

Dave
Where the heck have i said its ok to sign Paul.
You didn't. I was asking a question hence the question mark at the end of the sentence. You seemed to be implying that because an average side was good enough to get us where we are that signings such as Paul would be OK. I don't think they are.
As for Wire getting King at what cost a depleted squad. Weve been there where we sign so called big named players and end up weakening the side to accomadate a big earner.
I am not sure what the numbers are but I think Wire have recruited more than just King so while they released the likes of HF they have signed several replacements for those released. Unless we are paying Fielden half our salary cap we should be able to add to the current squad and without releasing anyone else a couple of class players like King given who we know is leaving the club.
As for Withers even on 1 leg hes a better FB than Ashton is. Ashton lost his bottle completly this season.
You said people would deny moaning about signing Withers and what Ashton's poor form has got to do with that I don't know. I moaned pre-season it was a mistake to sign Withers and I have been proved right. He was too old and had to retire.
As for Millard for the last few weeks hes played ok. Does nothing special but hes dependable. Pity he is injured as no player should have to go out of the game due to an injury thats bad luck.
The fact both Withers was and Millard may be forced out of the game due to injury doesn't have anything to do with how effective they have been (except how their injuries affected their play) and whether they should have been signed in the first place. Millard is simply not a very good player and his recent performances which are just about acceptable for a SL hooker can't take away from the fact he has been poor this season.

Nobby has acknowledged we were a prop light in an interview a couple of weeks ago. Had he signed a prop such as King from Hull as was rumoured instead of that pair we would have been far better off.
Wire signed Morley, anderson last season people monaed about our ambition for not getting them especially as we need a prop. Where are Wire now. Wire will not make top 6 next season as they are losing players from the squad. They flatter to deceive thats the Wire way. So they can sign who they want but this season they failed to make top 6.
You can't ignore the injury situation at Wire. We should know that given our luck on that front in previous seasons but I am not sure what Wire's performance has to do with not moaning about signing Withers and Millard. As far as I am concerned I have seen nothing to convince me both signings were not a mistake by Noble.

Dave