todays paper talk

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
stevo38

todays paper talk

Post by stevo38 »

quotes we are poised to complete the signing of danny ward thats 1 paper in another it says lenahan would not go for chev walker over money the fee being 30,000 it quotes there going over wigans books with a fine tooth comb and he wont be making any big flash signings home grown talent he quotes ,from news of world and sunday people
DaveO

Re: todays paper talk

Post by DaveO »

stevo38 posted:
....it says lenahan would not go for chev walker over money the fee being 30,000 it quotes there going over wigans books with a fine tooth comb and he wont be making any big flash signings home grown talent he quotes ,from news of world and sunday people
Then he will be extremely unpopular if there is room under the cap to sign players and he does not sign any. I have said it already but it is no use having a millionaire owner if he won't dip into his pocket for transfer fees.

Dave
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

DaveO posted:
stevo38 posted:
....it says lenahan would not go for chev walker over money the fee being 30,000 it quotes there going over wigans books with a fine tooth comb and he wont be making any big flash signings home grown talent he quotes ,from news of world and sunday people
Then he will be extremely unpopular if there is room under the cap to sign players and he does not sign any. I have said it already but it is no use having a millionaire owner if he won't dip into his pocket for transfer fees.

Dave
but it may be good for the club in the long term, if he only wants home grown talent then isn't that a good thing :exc:
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Lenagan has refused to comment on the acquistion of Wigan RL - it said that in the same article ("News" of the World) that it said he wants to build a home grown side. He has bought foriegn imports for quins so why should we be any different? If he is buying Wigan because he is passionate about he club it seems strange that he wouldn't strengthen it with foriegn players - but he will his other club.

Bradford have anounced their signings for next year - now that they are season is over - we did last year as well. So if it means waiting until after the GF to hear who is coming next year I won't be complaining!

This is all paper talk (as the title of the thread says) so until Lenagan gives an interview and says that straight out (or anything else for that matter) we all need to concentrate on the play offs and not jump to conclusions

I know its difficult; but people need to be patient
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

medlocke posted:
DaveO posted:
stevo38 posted:

Dave
but it may be good for the club in the long term, if he only wants home grown talent then isn't that a good thing :exc:
Why does that follow? Wigan have NEVER been a team based purely on local talent. The club has always sought to bring the best to the club be they local players, players from other UK clubs or from overseas. The aim is success not a team of Wigan'ers and the same applies to all clubs. Hull won't win owt in future if they rely on Humberside talent alone.

To deliberately limit yourself to local players and thus pass up on any talented players that come from elsewhere is a recipe for no success.

It is a nice idea to have to have a team of local players but that presupposed the Wigan area will produce enough good players at the same time who end up on Wigan's book to give us a top side. That has never happened before and it never will IMO.

Dave

GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

medlocke posted:

No. Sad but true: the Aussies are better than us.
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

ah, maybe so geoff, but is that not because they grow their players from an early age and bring them into their team. we don't we buy overseas players and our youngsters with talent get pushed out.
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

- psycho - posted:
ah, maybe so geoff, but is that not because they grow their players from an early age and bring them into their team. we don't we buy overseas players and our youngsters with talent get pushed out.
That is a gross over simplification IMO.

As far as I know the only player with any real talent we pushed out who came through the ranks was way back when we got rid of Long. We actually have a very good record of producing our own players and it is only this season we went over the top with the imports but that wasn't at the expense of some great talent we let go.

There is no team here or in Australia that runs on purely home grown talent. The Aussie teams enter the transfer market and also have plenty of Kiwi's playing their trade in the NRL. The big difference is there is no incentive and even less chance (due to exchange rates) for the Aussies to come after our players due to our players not being good enough as juniors in the first place.

In any case this isn't about overseas players alone. If a player like Fielden came available the implication of the original post is that Lenagan would pass up on the opportunity to sign him.

Dave
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

TWO EYED WARRIOR posted:
home grown talent
Doesnt necessarily mean exclusively from Wigan!

What i would say and agree with Matthew is this again is just speculation and paper talk.

We all know that decent britsh players come at a premium,Cant see Mr Leneghan saying that, as if he has he certainly aint thought it through.

Would he apply the same principles to Quins?
Same argument applies: a team made up purely of GB qualified players would have no chance in SL (unless all the other teams did likewise.

I'm totally in favour of the RFL's plans to reduce the quota, but it only works if all the teams have to do it.
shawcross da warrior

Post by shawcross da warrior »

i agree with daves first point totally...........