todays paper talk

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Cruncher

Re: todays paper talk

Post by Cruncher »

Fujiman posted:
Cruncher posted:
TWO EYED WARRIOR posted:
I suppose the good thing is that lenehagan is making signings!

Pitty it aint for Wigan!
It's not a pity that it's not Ward.

He's an okay forward, but surely we can do better than him?
I think he means no signings for Wigan not actually about Ward
Thew way I see it, if our new owner is Lenagan, AND he's staying in charge of Harlequins (which I still find impossible to believe), then he'll be running two very different entities and all signings should reflect this.

With the best will in the world, Quins are still a tiny outfit, who generate minimal income of their own. Wigan, on the other hand, are one of the biggest fishes in the pond. We have the best stadium in the competition, massive crowds and our merchandising and cash-flow have got to be some of the healthiest in the British game. In that respect, a signing like Danny Ward may be great for Quins, but would be nothing special at Wigan. Note, I'm not saying we DESERVE better, just that Ward isn't the sort of name that would wow the Wigan fans. In other words, the new owner must be aware that he'll have to try that little bit harder, and perhaps pay that little bit more, to make Wigan realise their full (enormous) potential.

I'm hoping this is the case, anyway. The likes of Ward and Hodgson can go to Quins and Huddersfield, and I won't shed a tear. I'm still hopeful that we've got more promising names lined up.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

TWO EYED WARRIOR posted:
We'll have to wait and see!

There was a flurry of activity by Bradford after there play off campaign came to a close so im hoping that it will be the same for us.
But only after the grand final victory please !
To be honest though, the likes of Nero and Jeffries were greatly expected to sign for the Bulls. Not - linked with them, but signed for another club, as is currently happening with Wigan.

Who are we actually being linked with, and even more importantly WILL BE AVAILABLE? When the Club does decide to enter the market.

IMO, we must either already have players "in the bag", or as a club, are not bothered about strengthening whilst the proposed takeover is haggled over, and we show interest only in what players are left. IMO a bad idea.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

butt monkey posted:
TWO EYED WARRIOR posted:

There was a flurry of activity by Bradford after there play off campaign came to a close so im hoping that it will be the same for us.
To be honest though, the likes of Nero and Jeffries were greatly expected to sign for the Bulls. Not - linked with them, but signed for another club, as is currently happening with Wigan.

Who are we actually being linked with, and even more importantly WILL BE AVAILABLE? When the Club does decide to enter the market.

IMO, we must either already have players "in the bag", or as a club, are not bothered about strengthening whilst the proposed takeover is haggled over, and we show interest only in what players are left. IMO a bad idea.
I think its a lot of fuss over nothing, personally. I am confident that anyone willing to buy a club will want success. This doesn't mean spending willy nilly. Lets be fair, none of the players we have been linked with who have since formally been ruled out are world class players. Chev Walker is going to take a while to get his fitness back and Danny Ward is mediocre to say the least. Lets just sit back and wait and trust the experts.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

gpartin posted:
butt monkey posted:
TWO EYED WARRIOR posted:

I think its a lot of fuss over nothing, personally. I am confident that anyone willing to buy a club will want success. This doesn't mean spending willy nilly. Lets be fair, none of the players we have been linked with who have since formally been ruled out are world class players. Chev Walker is going to take a while to get his fitness back and Danny Ward is mediocre to say the least. Lets just sit back and wait and trust the experts.
Well put mate Lets wait and see :eusa2:
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

id have made a big mvoe for sykes, what a talent he is.
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

gpartin posted:
I sincerely hope you are right, but I wont hold my breath.

As for other signings, what about Webster, King and the likes of Dobson being relinked with Catalans? You happy to see these sort of players pass Wigan by? (if Dobbo does go). As I said, I really do hope that Wigan have players "in the bag" and are not anticipating "running with what we have".

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
binxterboy

Post by binxterboy »

stevo38 posted:
quotes we are poised to complete the signing of danny ward thats 1 paper in another it says lenahan would not go for chev walker over money the fee being 30,000 it quotes there going over wigans books with a fine tooth comb and he wont be making any big flash signings home grown talent he quotes ,from news of world and sunday people
stevo38 posted:
quotes we are poised to complete the signing of danny ward thats 1 paper in another it says lenahan would not go for chev walker over money the fee being 30,000 it quotes there going over wigans books with a fine tooth comb and he wont be making any big flash signings home grown talent he quotes ,from news of world and sunday people
so much for us sighning danny ward, i see mr lenahan has sighned him for his main team "quins"
♫ тнз ѕσчτн ѕтαиδ мαѕѕіνз ♪
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

butt monkey posted:
gpartin posted:
I sincerely hope you are right, but I wont hold my breath.

As for other signings, what about Webster, King and the likes of Dobson being relinked with Catalans? You happy to see these sort of players pass Wigan by? (if Dobbbo does go). As I said, I really do hope that Wigan have players "in the bag" and are not anticipating "running with what we have".
If we'd have signed King and Webster and gone over the salary cap every one on here would have been going mad and complaining we had to let some promising young lads go. Clubs like Leeds and Hull have proved that you can compete at a top level without over-spending. We have the infrastructure in place to do this but I have no doubt there will be some signings announced in due course. No sane person would expect Wigan to go into next season with a reduced squad from an already depleted level. We have been lucky with injuries this year but a few long term casualties would have left us up the creek without a paddle.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

gpartin posted:
If we'd have signed King and Webster and gone over the salary cap every one on here would have been going mad and complaining we had to let some promising young lads go. Clubs like Leeds and Hull have proved that you can compete at a top level without over-spending. We have the infrastructure in place to do this but I have no doubt there will be some signings announced in due course. No sane person would expect Wigan to go into next season with a reduced squad from an already depleted level. We have been lucky with injuries this year but a few long term casualties would have left us up the creek without a paddle.
With DV and Fletcher leaving (probably amongst the sides biggest earners) this IMO leaves Wigan with salary cap space to make signings. Not withstanding the £100k from the super league over the deferred payments. :wink:

You say no sane person would not make signings, yet at this stage we do not even know who that might be!!! Why the delay for announcing the new owner (if there is one), and for what reason, because I for one, cannot see any alteration in ownership affecting players performances.

butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

gpartin posted:
Clubs like Leeds and Hull have proved that you can compete at a top level without over-spending.
You could also say that Catalans and Hull KR have been "competitive" without over-spending. Would you be happy with there league positions?