Hodgson to Huddersfield

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Matthew

Re: Hodgson to Huddersfield

Post by Matthew »

4 year contract? They must be mad!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
shawcross da warrior

Re: Hodgson to Huddersfiel...

Post by shawcross da warrior »

D'ohhhhh sad to him go there but not a bad miss i dont think........
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Matthew posted:
Why? He must be 4 years younger than Paul Reilly and is a far better player. It all depends what he is being paid.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

jinkin jimmy posted:
Matthew posted:
Why? He must be 4 years younger than Paul Reilly and is a far better player. It all depends what he is being paid.
IMO you should only sign a player for more than 3 years if they are top drawer or you are planning on making them the core of your team. No disrespect to Hodgson (who I think is OK), but he is not set the world alight at Salford and he wouldn't get a place as a squad player in any of the top sides. 4 year contracts are normally reserved for youngsters like Penny at wire - players that have not yet reached their best - not people that are arguably past their peak.

Put it this way, would you have been happy if we had signed him for 4 years Jim?

Also the longer (and more lucrative) the contract the more chance of "effort fatigue"!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Matthew posted:
jinkin jimmy posted:
Matthew posted:
IMO you should only sign a player for more than 3 years if they are top drawer or you are planning on making them the core of your team. No disrespect to Hodgson (who I think is OK), but he is not set the world alight at Salford and he wouldn't get a place as a squad player in any of the top sides. 4 year contracts are normally reserved for youngsters like Penny at wire - players that have not yet reached their best - not people that are arguably past their peak.

Put it this way, would you have been happy if we had signed him for 4 years Jim?

Also the longer (and more lucrative) the contract the more chance of "effort fatigue"!
It's not really about whether I want him for four years at Wigan. He is replacing Paul Reilly at Hudds and I don't think it is necessarily a bad move by them. They probably had to offer such a long deal just to get him. I would be surprised if we didn't offer him a deal but would not have expected us to offer him 4 years.

It's all hypothetical but let's say he had a £60K 2 yr deal on the table from another club, possibly Wigan. The only options open to Hudds are to better the salary or lengthen the deal. It appears they have done the latter.

Personally I think he is a pretty good player. You say he wouldn't get a squad place in the top 4 but he is far better than at least 4 of Bradford's backs from this season IMO.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

jinkin jimmy posted:
It's not really about whether I want him for four years at Wigan. He is replacing Paul Reilly at Hudds and I don't think it is necessarily a bad move by them. They probably had to offer such a long deal just to get him. I would be surprised if we didn't offer him a deal but would not have expected us to offer him 4 years.

It's all hypothetical but let's say he had a £60K 2 yr deal on the table from another club, possibly Wigan. The only options open to Hudds are to better the salary or lengthen the deal. It appears they have done the latter.

Personally I think he is a pretty good player. You say he wouldn't get a squad place in the top 4 but he is far better than at least 4 of Bradford's backs from this season IMO.
He is a pretty good player - however he is probably past his best now and he won't get any faster - that's for certain. 4 years is a long contract for someone like Hodgson - it can only mean that they have no prospective youngster in the academy who can play fullback/wing

I am sure that you are right in what you say about contract worth versus length - however 4 years is a long contract for anyone.

You think that he is better than 4 of the Bulls backs - and the two that I would agree with you on are McAvoy, St Hilaire. However McAvoy was only brought in when Marcus Bai retired out of the blue and St Hilaire is being released. I would prefer Platt and B.Harris over him (I am assuming that they are who you meant), I'd prefer him to Spotty Harris too, however he's a half back really. And I bet you none of those players have been offered 4 year contracts!

ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I know Thorman is a tad over rated but it'd be nice to see him play more often away from fullback, as he deputised pretty much like Richards has several times this season and played below par IMO.

An ok signing by Giants I can see them reaching top 6 again next season.

https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Hodgson is a very decent player. Good pace, evasive. Huddersfield seem to be signing players that will hopefully make them a regular top 6 team.
mike binder

Re: Hodgson to Huddersfield

Post by mike binder »

and players who go trainning in the same car ,they may need a 7 seater though now if all the wigan boyz go together
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME