Liam Colbon!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
turf

Liam Colbon!

Post by turf »

Every match that we play, this lad seems to get better and better I think.

He definately deserves to keep his starting spot now for the rest of the year in my opinion.
thegimble

Re: Liam Colbon!

Post by thegimble »

Best thing that happened to us is Ashton wanting out. It forced Richards to FB and Colbon has had a run on the wing. Hes doing a good job nothing outstanding but he does most things well.

He does deserve to stay there next season as if he gets a good centre with him he could score bag fulls of tries.

Also another player who over the last few weeks who has impressed is Hansen. Awsome tackle at the end. Hes becoming a good player as well. Difference a bit of consistancy and wins makes.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

At the end of the day Richards is a better winger than Colbon who like Calderwood is weak under the high ball.

Can't complain about Colbon's efforts and he is a solid enough player but of we want to improve the team harsh decisions need to be taken and that means a top class full back brought in with Richards and Calderwood as first choice wings.

No room for sentiment if you want to be the best.

Dave
Mrs Lifter

Post by Mrs Lifter »

Harrison Hanson was awesome in defence he was in allmost every tackle when he was on the pitch imo he was mom for his defensive effort alone. He was one of the only players with anything left in the tank at the end
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

DaveO posted:
At the end of the day Richards is a better winger than Colbon who like Calderwood is weak under the high ball.

Can't complain about Colbon's efforts and he is a solid enough player but of we want to improve the team harsh decisions need to be taken and that means a top class full back brought in with Richards and Calderwood as first choice wings.

Dave
Fair point but in the era of the cap sometimes sacrifices must be made. Id rather stick with Richards at FB than bring Mathers or any of the players weve have been connected with in.

Cant believe were actually arguing about where to play Richards last season mostly we wanted him gone. Ohh how things have changed.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Think DaveO is partly rite we would be a better side with a good fullback and Pattt... back on the wing, although Colbon is worthy of a twenty spot if we bring in another center and go with Goulding for the other spot .
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

thegimble posted:
DaveO posted:

Dave
Fair point but in the era of the cap sometimes sacrifices must be made. Id rather stick with Richards at FB than bring Mathers or any of the players weve have been connected with in.
I have been saying for a while now while I would like a class FB brought in I anticipate we will end up with Richards at full back next season. If so it will "work" but I am convinced we'd be better off with a FB and him on the wing.

What I don't get is why we would need to do this because of the salary cap because we ought to have enough room under it in 2008 to bring in a top class full back.
Cant believe were actually arguing about where to play Richards last season mostly we wanted him gone. Ohh how things have changed.
He is in my top four players for us this season. I was already pretty sure having seen how he imporved at the back end of last season on the wing he would go OK as a winger. However his goal kicking has been as vital as having Trent at stand off IMO.

I was genuinely worried our decision to "make do" with Richards as goal kicker for this season would cost us games and see us down at the bottom of the league. That and the lack of Logan MkII meant if you had told me we would be one game away from OT at this point in the season I'd have laughed at you.

Dave
turf

Post by turf »

Can someone explain this to me:

If we keep Richards at FB next season then will Colbon have to start on the wing?

My obvious answer to that is yes.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

turf posted:

If we keep Richards at FB next season then will Colbon have to start on the wing?

Well its obvious he starts on the wing now because Richards is full back.

If you were implying he should get the wing spot if Richards remains at full back I don't think that necessarily follows.

Dave
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

turf posted:

Is Colbon going to be your special friend for next season Turfy :wink: