the new centre

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Panchitta Marra

Re: the new centre

Post by Panchitta Marra »

pedro posted:
- psycho - posted:
pedro posted:
Hes not good enough for me. We need a world class centre and Atkins is not.
yeah, because look what happened last time we bought a so called world class centre :doz:

we don't need players that are world class. we need the players that can do a job and will give it their all.

atkins is fast, strong, good tackler and he provides for his winger. and he has the ability to break the line. on my list, he just ticked all the boxes so i think he'd be a great buy.

same for sykes, bradford have picked a fantastic player up there, not world class, but he'll do a hell of a job for them.
That is a total ludicrous coment. Send Baret home then. Sam Tomkins wil do it al shal we give him the number 6??

Atkins has done nothing really. If we want pace there wil be cheaper in the NL1 who are faster. We need class and the lad isnt.
We have made some bad choices and gambles. Some have worked some haven't.

So in all you are saying we should not sign any world class players just people who wil give it their all?

:lol:
I agree with what you are saying regards to having world class players, yes they are needed, however if we had a full team of world class players,
1.Minichello.
2. Ingles.
3. Gasnia.
4. Hodges.
5. Richards.
6. Barett.
and the list could go on.
somewhere there has to be a compromise to keep within the cap. You mentioned that there are in NHL1, centres who are faster, I cant think of any to hand, nor many in Superleague. IMO Atkins would be much improved if he was on the end of some of the passes that TB has produced this season, plus Lu Lu's try line kicking.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

So would I be correct in thinking that if Wigan get Atkins, the majority of fans will like that move by Noble?

IMO I believe Prop and FB are our ultimate main priorities for next season and perhaps not spend 'big money' on a 'world class' centre.

2 out of the 3 positions will be fine with Atkins at Centre but who knows who we are lined up to sign. We are Wigan afterall
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Panchitta Marra

ancientnloyal posted:
So would I be correct in thinking that if Wigan get Atkins, the majority of fans will like that move by Noble?

IMO I believe Prop and FB are our ultimate main priorities for next season and perhaps not spend 'big money' on a 'world class' centre.

2 out of the 3 positions will be fine with Atkins at Centre but who knows who we are lined up to sign. We are Wigan afterall
Do you not think that Nobby will keep Pat at full back next season. This would mean we need a Centre come Winger plus prop of course.
thomo

Post by thomo »

I think we need two props - as fielden is not an 80 minute prop anymore. Plus feel coley needs to be playing in the second row.
Bulk up Harrison Hansen by a good 5kg (hopefully £10kg if we can in the off season) have him and Hock starting in the second row then bring on Coley.
Would love four big props - Fielden, Feka, Korkidas and dare I say it Carvell
Also feel Prescott could be used in second row for a season while he develops into a bulky prop
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Panchitta Marra posted:
ancientnloyal posted:

Do you not think that Nobby will keep Pat at full back next season. This would mean we need a Centre come Winger plus prop of course.
No, Pat is not a fullback... his kick returns were awful IMO on the most part he didnt have many ideas returning in field he just seemed to run without much effect towards the defence. He did well dont get me wrong what else could Wigan have done? But we need Pat on the wing to catch the corner kicks from lul, barrett/ lockers etc...

we need a FB who can sidestep quickly, run with pace and have plentiful ideas
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
pedro

Post by pedro »

Agreed his only weekness at FB but it quite evident.

1 Prop (have Coley who IS a prop) and a class centre and a FB.
fitzy

Post by fitzy »

like mark mclinden of quins? when is his contract up?
Panchitta Marra

fitzy posted:
like mark mclinden of quins? when is his contract up?
Top full back McLinden, scores tries for fun too.
Bear

Post by Bear »

What we need is home grown talent, not all these aussie has beens who will stay for a season and go back. We need a few of them yeah, like Barrett to guide the youngsters. Thats the problem these days.
Goulding, Colbon? Look what we did with Brown, robinson and briscoe?
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Bear posted:
Look what we did with Brown, robinson and briscoe?
The right thing. We got shut!

How many more times do we have to go over this old ground? When Briscoe broke into the team he had some good games then slowly faded as the season wore on. When Rads came back from injury it was like night and day the improvement he brought to the side.

Lots of people at the time were even saying keep Briscoe and sell Rads because he cost too much. They all shut up completely when Rads returned and that meant Briscoe had no chance of a place in the side for the foreseeable future. That along with the stupid 20/20/20 rule as it was then meant he had to leave if he wanted 1st team football.

He is IMO a player who gives 100% but remains an average full back.

The other two you mention. Well Brown is no loss at all. Where would he have played in last seasons side? In place of Goulding or Barrett?

Robinson left under a cloud and while he would make a decent reserve half back he won't accept that anyway.

As to preferring home grown talent that depends what you mean. If you mean British players then I would prefer to see more British and less overseas players in the Wigan side.

If by home grown you mean from the Wigan junior set up then I think you need to be realistic and accept very few will actually be good enough for SL.

Dave