Stolen from BBC site

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Fraggle

Re: Stolen from BBC site

Post by Fraggle »

GeoffN posted:
Fraggle posted:
More to the point, what's the overseas quota situation? We're already massively over the limit in terms of strictly overseas players (lots of KOLPAK's and great-great-great-great grandparent passports) but we've really only got one overseas slot available with Fletch retiring, Barrett and Bailey taking up tht other two slots.
We're allowed 10 non-GB players next season, reducing to 5 by 2010. The Kolpak distinction no longer applies.

At present we have:

Richards
Bailey
Barrett
Leuluai
Palea'asina

Assuming Millard does retire, which seems pretty much inevitable. Hansen doesn't count as he came up through our Academy.

That means we've got 5 slots available, in theory, although some would have to be one year only, to allow for a reduction in 2009 and a further reduction in 2010.
Richards is contracted til the end of next season (although I hope he'd stay longer); Barrett, Leuluai & Bailey are till the end of 2009, Feca till 2010.
But that's the non-GB eligible players. I think the 3 official overseas players rule still applies. None of the Kiwis seem to be included with that, but the Aussies usually are (unless they are somehow Scottish or have family in Poland or some such thing). Irrespective of this rule, we still can't have more than 3 Aussies unless those players have got some connection to the UK/EU/Kolpak.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I thought they got rid of the distinctions and just moved to a straight 10 non-GB players for next season.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Fraggle posted:
GeoffN posted:
Fraggle posted:
More to the point, what's the overseas quota situation? We're already massively over the limit in terms of strictly overseas players (lots of KOLPAK's and great-great-great-great grandparent passports) but we've really only got one overseas slot available with Fletch retiring, Barrett and Bailey taking up tht other two slots.
We're allowed 10 non-GB players next season, reducing to 5 by 2010. The Kolpak distinction no longer applies.

At present we have:

Richards
Bailey
Barrett
Leuluai
Palea'asina

Assuming Millard does retire, which seems pretty much inevitable. Hansen doesn't count as he came up through our Academy.

That means we've got 5 slots available, in theory, although some would have to be one year only, to allow for a reduction in 2009 and a further reduction in 2010.
Richards is contracted til the end of next season (although I hope he'd stay longer); Barrett, Leuluai & Bailey are till the end of 2009, Feca till 2010.
But that's the non-GB eligible players. I think the 3 official overseas players rule still applies.
I'm not so sure it does; there was no mention of it in the press release in June that announced the new rules. As I understood it at the time, these new rules were intended to supersede the old quota rules, thereby getting around the whole Kolpak scenario.
Perhaps DaveO can clarify?
lancaster077

Post by lancaster077 »

I thought Richards is Irish so he doesnt count on the overseas Quota.He owns an Irish passport and is tipped to represent Ireland.

I was also under the impression that both Richards parents are also Irish?
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

lancaster077 posted:
I thought Richards is Irish so he doesnt count on the overseas Quota.He owns an Irish passport and is tipped to represent Ireland.

Doesn't matter, under the new rules, to qualify as a "home-grown" player you have to have come through the academy system of a British club.

Check out this thread from earlier this year:

http://www.wigan-warriors.com/cgi-bin/w ... ject341666
OJ

Post by OJ »

gpartin posted:

4 Steve Matai - Speaking with wigan officals about a move,Hull also interested.An ideal replacement for Vaealiki.

7 Paul Deacon - WILL sign for wigan after years of great service at the Bulls,thats why Bradford have signed Jeffries,there wont be any space for Harris,deacon and jeffries and Bradford have Newton and Godwin as hookers.
See Matai got sent off today for a dangerous tackle so he sounds about right for us!

Isn't the 2nd friendly of next year against Bradford part of Paul Deacon's testimonial? Seems unlikely he will be wearing a Wigan shirt for it.
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Deacon?....... center yes but the name I have as not been linked with us on here as yet ,the Pritchard one may have a bit of truth but only to see if he has any interest was told we are after 2 widnes lads not first team members ,its all speculation not even sure the new owners know whats going on so information is patchy , if they have sorted the little problems out holding up proceedings maybe a bit clearer this week fingers crossed :blush:
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

GeoffN posted:
lancaster077 posted:

Doesn't matter, under the new rules, to qualify as a "home-grown" player you have to have come through the academy system of a British club.

Check out this thread from earlier this year:

http://www.wigan-warriors.com/cgi-bin/w ... ject341666
Can't see how that can be legal if they hold an EU passport :eusa16:
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

It doesn't have to be legal unless someone challenges it. If all the club's agree to abide by those rules no-one will challenge anything in the courts and the rules will stand. If a player were to challenge the rules himself I imagine he would have to have a club lined up that said they would sign him if the rules were not there, so in effect it would need the support of a club anyway.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Fraggle posted:
crookmeister posted:
these signings would be super but i cant see them happening? all those players have international futures so why would they leave oz to come here?
Not a problem for next season. The quota is five but the rule that will bring the number of overseas players down is how many "federation" and home grown players you have on your books.

Under this rule Hansen does not count as overseas despite being an NZ international as he is effectively "home grown".

The upshot is (I think) we could have 10 overseas players again as we already make the numbers on home grown and federation players.

Dave