Matt Cooper for Wigan?

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Nine

Matt Cooper for Wigan?

Post by Nine »

That's the rumour from the Wigan Evening Post today:
Wigan are ready to launch an ambitious rebuilding programme for next season.
With Ian Lenagan's new management team poised to take charge at the JJB Stadium, a high-profile Australian target has emerged.
Warriors are being linked with a move for St George-Illawarra Dragons centre Matt Cooper, a former team-mate of Trent Barrett in the NRL.
And as Barrett jetted back home for a holiday at the weekend, pundits are putting two and two together.
Warriors need a new centre to replace the departing David Vaealiki who is set to switch codes by joining French club Albi next year.
His departure, added to the loss of Chris Ashton which brought about the successful switch of Pat Richards to full-back, has left Wigan short-handed along the threequarter line.

Cooper, 28, who has played State of Origin rugby for New South Wales and for the Kangaroos at Test level, has a year left on his current contract at Dragons.
But sources Down Under suggest he fancies a stint in England, and that Wigan could well be his destination.
And it is believed a recommendation from Barrett could play a major role in clinching the deal.
Not unlike Barrett, Cooper has been a one-club man since 2000, making 141 appearances and scored 79 tries for Dragons.
Cooper is believed to be one of a number of possible new recruits for 2008 campaign
Last season he had 12 tries in 18 appearances for the Dragons, he's 6ft 2ins and just over 15 stone and he looks like this:

Squad number 18!
DaveO

Re: Matt Cooper for Wigan?

Post by DaveO »

Another WEP article totally devoid of hard facts. :doz:

Dave
Bear

Post by Bear »

These are just roumours, untill hey are announced on the official website i wont take them on, but nice thought though :lol:
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

DaveO posted:
Another WEP article totally devoid of hard facts. :doz:

Dave
Another WEP rumour that has followed hard on the heels of an identicle rumour being started (mainly in jest) on these message boards.
fred_flintstone

Post by fred_flintstone »

Er, there's a worrying trend of what gets put on here goes in the paper the next day... hmmmmmmmm :conf:

Nope, not related! :lol:
wigan pie man

Post by wigan pie man »

i'd like to think theres some substance to any article written in a local paper.

they dont just make up stories imo

here

http://www.wigantoday.net/

or watch here........i dont think they would be broadcasting lies.
http://www.wigantoday.net/wigan-news/To ... 3382304.jp
WIGAN PIE MAN ......SPONSORED BY MECCA BINGO
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

wigan pie man posted:
i'd like to think theres some substance to any article written in a local paper.

here

When it comes to RL, the local papers are very short on substance these days and very long on internet rumours. Frankly, this latest one is the most unlikely yet. Don't hold your breath.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

wigan pie man posted:
If you read what they write much if it is very carefully phrased. They never say things like "Cooper will sign on the 18th Oct 2007" but instead say things like "it is rumoured Cooper is a target of Wigan RL" or some such phrase.

Many people seize on such articles as an indication the club will be signing the player because as you say you would like to think there is some substance too it and people want to hear it.

The trouble is if the WEP articles had any real substance we'd have signed half a dozen players for next season already. So far it is no better than this forum and is simply all speculation.

here

In that all they say is "Wigan are linked with Cooper". The don't say by whom and don't qualify it.

The could have said "Cooper is being linked with Wigan RL by members of the wigan-warriors.com forum" for all the difference it would make to the credibility of their broadcast.

It is the same careful choice of language that simply is not definitive or backed up in any way.

When/if Wigan do sign a player there is a good chance the WEP will be saying "As reported X weeks ago Wigan have confirmed the signing of ...."

The trouble is the WEP has linked the club with so many players it is bound to get one "right" sooner or later. The scatter gun approach.

But as I said if you listen or read carefully they are simply not presenting any hard facts, merely speculation.

Its a bit like the boy who cried Wolf. If you tell fibs often enough then no one believes you when you tell the truth. In the WEP's case they have incorrectly linked so many players with Wigan recently I have no reason to believe they are right with this one.

No credibility as a source of such info unless you consider the rumour the news itself rather than what the rumour is about.

Dave
shawcross da warrior

Post by shawcross da warrior »

would be an absolutly superb signing and us having trent barrett could only help in the deal i think......

although i cant see it happening as he stil plays for austrialia in test games and new souh wales in origin.....
lancaster077

Post by lancaster077 »

I hate to tell you this but i told you so, I found out sunday about Matt Cooper but then League Weekly published our interest on monday that made my comments look like i had stolen them.

I also said that Wigan are running the rule over Mark Smith.