Will this be the start of a new era?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
FROM A TO B

Will this be the start of a new era?

Post by FROM A TO B »

OK then.
What are everyones thoughts on the imminent take over?
My opinion (for what it's worth).
ML. Served the club for many years and made Wigan one of the greatest clubs in the modern era.
DW. Rescued Wigan from a financial mire and helped give us one of the best grounds in SL.

I know we have our ML and DW knockers and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but without these two, would Wigan still be a viable club in SL.

However, like Central Park, you have to move on and hopefully this will be the start of a new era for Wigan Warriors.
It's time for the phoenix to rise from the ashes and once again Wigan Warriors to become the team to be feared and the JJB to become a fortress once more.

The future's bright,
the future's Cherry and White.

Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
mike binder

Re: Will this be the start of ...

Post by mike binder »

FROM A TO B posted:
OK then.
ML. Served the club for many years and made Wigan one of the greatest clubs in the modern era.
DW. Rescued Wigan from a financial mire and helped give us one of the best grounds in SL.

I know we have our ML and DW knockers and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but without these two, would Wigan still be a viable club in SL.

However, like Central Park, you have to move on and hopefully this will be the start of a new era for Wigan Warriors.
It's time for the phoenix to rise from the ashes and once again Wigan Warriors to become the team to be feared and the JJB to become a fortress once more.

The future's bright,
the future's Cherry and Whit
e.

thats my line lol theif
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

FROM A TO B posted:
OK then.

My view also. Their successes (particularly Mo's) outweight their failures by a considerable amount.
Well they couldn't go on forever anyway so it is to be hoped we have been passed into the hands of someone at least as equally as committed to Wigan's success as Mo always was.

Whether that will be the case remains to be seen. The proof of the pudding etc.

The new owner needs to start with getting some players in of good quality to push us up a level. Another season of making do with a lightweight squad won't wash and if that means paying transfer fees so be it. The question is will the new owner be as prepared to do that as DW was?

Dave
thegimble

Re: Will this be the start...

Post by thegimble »

Problem for MO and DW was the Millward era and the disaster we suffered not just that season but the one that has just ended.

Some of the signings have been a bit poor but some were very good players until they came here.
ultimate warrior

Post by ultimate warrior »

[quote]FROM A TO B posted:
OK then.

Think the answer to this is that we probably wouldnbt have been a viable club in SL. I know in the past couple of years thinks havent worked out the way we would have hoped, but I think the ML era should be remembered for all the good he has done not just for our great club, but the game as a whole.

I do think that the time has come for a change at the top, think the fresh ideas and ways of thinking will be just what we need. I just hope when the takeover is completed, we can move forward and build on what was a fairly succesful year.
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

I think it'll be cool to have someone in charge who can actually do his sums.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Lets wait and see the new owners have not taken control and yet have started to take stick from people.
'eg' Whats taking so long?
We are being left behind no signings
How can he still be involved at quins?
How can Lydon be given a top job no experience and so on ..... realistically with the young talent we have support potentially we should be back at the top at sometime just need to get some stability on and off the field .
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

i agree that mo did fantastic things for the club at stages, but i think what happened was that mo and dw have struggled ever since superleague was born. You just could see they didn't grasp the salary cap throwing money at unproven players e.g DV, yes there was the odd gem in there but we have to be both smarter with money and signings, id rather us not sign anymore players for next season than sign 5 and go over cap again.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

Wigan_forever19 85 posted:
i agree that mo did fantastic things for the club at stages, but i think what happened was that mo and dw have struggled ever since superleague was born. You just could see they didn't grasp the salary cap throwing money at unproven players e.g DV, yes there was the odd gem in there but we have to be both smarter with money and signings, id rather us not sign anymore players for next season than sign 5 and go over cap again.
There are all kinds of reasons why the salary cap era went wrong for Wigan. But I think at least part of the problem was that DW and ML adopted a culture of complaining about the cap rather than trying to live with it.

They viewed it as a device to prevent us using spending-power to regain our lost status. Bear in mind that Wigan had gone through two or three impoverished years - crowds were down in the mid-late 90s, signings were poor, Jack Robinson allegedly wanted to sell CP to pay our debts. And then suddenly, Whelan was in charge and we had pots of money again. It looked as though we could spend our way back to the top. But the timing of the salary cap was bang-on to prevent this. I'd argue that it was actually designed to prevent ANYONE spending their way to dominance, but you can imagine paranoid types like DW and ML believing that it was purely aimed at Wigan.

Anyway, the upshot is that they were never happy with the cap. They weren't the only ones - there are all sorts of good reasons why the cap is a bad idea IMO - but DW and ML should at least have tried to adapt to it. They never did, and therefore never properly investigated ways to get around it. The final result was two seasons of points deductions, and their response to that was to sulk, as if this was something unfair that a bunch of bullies had done to them, rather than a near-disaster that their own incompetence had brought down on the club. (Mind you, I DO feel that they had a good argument in 2007, and that only someone as absurdly bloody-minded as as the thickie Yorkshire quango that run the RFL would have disagreed).

ANyway, whether we like it or not, the salary cap is here for the forseeable future. Hopefully our new owners are better able to deal with it than the last ones were.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

lucky 13 posted:
Lets wait and see the new owners have not taken control and yet have started to take stick from people.
'eg' Whats taking so long?
Complicated deal, DW wanting lots of money, Leneghan needing to find someone to take over some of his role at Quins... could be lots of reasons.
We are being left behind no signings
Are we? As I've said before, there have been hardly any deals made so far this off-season involving players who would really have made it at Wigan. The likes of Korkidas would have been welcomed by some but others were hardly salivating at the rumours of him coming here. With players still on international duty (and I can't remember the last time a club move occurred involving a representative player whilst on representative duty) there is still time left yet for things to be announced.
How can he still be involved at quins?
Maybe there's a Mrs L who can take over that club? If it's good enough for the Hetherington's then why not...
How can Lydon be given a top job no experience
From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Lydon
Joe Lydon's Wikipedia entry:
Immediately retiring as a Wigan player, Lydon became the team manager of Wigan Warriors - a position he held until 1996. In 1997 Lydon was appointed the RFL's first-ever technical director, a post he held until resigning the post in 2000 when he was appointed manager of the England under-19 rugby union side. He was appointed England Sevens coach in October 2001. In June 2004, he was appointed backs coach for the England rugby union team . In May 2006, after being removed as England backs coach, Lydon turned down the opportunity to join the England RFU Academy.

He now commentates for the BBC for their televised rugby union coverage.

In July 2007 he began working with Waterloo Rugby Union Club as performance consultant.
So there is some management responsibility in there, at least as much as, say Shaun Edwards who people have been trying to get back to Wigan for years now.
sometime just need to get some stability on and off the field
Let's hope so.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]