BRETT HODGSON

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Glynola

Re: BRETT HODGSON

Post by Glynola »

Hodgson is a quality, quality fullback and anyone who claims it would be a poor signing really does beggar belief.

I do hope that Richards now returns to the wing. However if we don't sign a big centre I have a nagging suspicion he may end up playing centre :eh:
Everything they do is so dramatic and flamboyant. It just makes me want to set myself on fire!
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

I guess we're still waiting for the evidence.

Maybe it'll be announced at today's press conference, but nobody else seems to be carrying this story.

I'm not trying to cast aspersions, but Tricky Dicky came on here last night and made this claim. Yet when he was on RLFans last night, he didn't even know there was going to be a press conference today.

To me, that suggests that his informant is, at best, hit-and-miss.

Personally, I'm very dubious about this one (though of course, I'd love to be wrong).
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Glynola posted:
Hodgson is a quality, quality fullback and anyone who claims it would be a poor signing really does beggar belief.

I do hope that Richards now returns to the wing. However if we don't sign a big centre I have a nagging suspicion he may end up playing centre :eh:
While not ideal and if you said it at the start of last season (after the one before )I would of been worried , but Pat now looks like he could play in any back position quite well but I will be much happier with him on the wing which is were he will play next year hopefully .
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

God posted:
Earlier on in the season we were facing yet another poor season untill Richards moved to fullback and IMO was one of the best fullbacks in the league with regards positioning and also tackleing he turned out to be an old fasioned style fullback.
Imo playing fullback doesnt always involve scoring tries(Steve Hampson) its keeping the opposition out which Richards did to effect.
But what we didn't do when we moved Richards to fullback was replace him on the wing with someone with equal attacking, and most importantly try-scoring ability. Without wanting to criticise Colbon, his try-scoring rate was not upto Richard's standards when comparing their play on the wing, and whilst the change did allow Calderwood to make more of an impression with the long balls going right more than going left, we certainly missed out on Pat's towering presence on the end of kicks into the corner from which he scored numerous tries early in the year. People keep saying that defence wins games, but only if you're able to score points as well!
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Shevi 4 life

Post by Shevi 4 life »

GOD i dont know why your moaning if we sign hodgson it is a positive he is a top class player and i agree with Dave that we need compitetion for places
There expanding knowsley road from 3 car park spaces to 4
W1GANER

Post by W1GANER »

Signing a recognised full back can only be a good for the team. Richards as cover in case of injury and Colbon cover for wing.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

God posted:

It will be The Aussie second team next year does that not concern people? Im sick and tired of signing old Aussies and selling home grown players.With the exeption of Barrett and Fletcher in recent years.
Considering an Aussie second team would beat GB, let alone any SL club, no it doesn't.
As long as all the other clubs are taking advantage of the quota rules, we have to in order to compete.

We have as many, if not more "home grown" players than any other SL club. What "ageing Aussies" (or Kiwis) do we have?
Richards is 25, Bailey 27, Leuluai 22, Feca 25, Barret 30. We only have 5 overseas players now; probably less than any other club.

I don't see how our squad would be improved by substiting home-grown youngsters for any of those.

I agree that the quota is too high, but it is planned to reduce over the next 3 years; until then we have to build our strongest possible squad, irrespective of where they come from.
Kat

Post by Kat »

God posted:
Everyone will find out what Hodgeson is like next year if we sign him and i will be back to this thred and i will say "Told you so".

It will be The Aussie second team next year does that not concern people? Im sick and tired of signing old Aussies and selling home grown players.With the exeption of Barrett and Fletcher in recent years.
Considering an Aussie second team would better anything else in SL, then I fail to see your problem.

Which home grown player would we be getting rid of should we sign Hodgson?? Colbon's a winger, so it doesn't affect him.

Hodgson would be a direct replacement for Ashton, who went to RU on his own accord, nothing to do with us selling him.
Mr Stu

Post by Mr Stu »

hodgeson coming to wigan will be a good signing as his credentials are top notch and richards best position seems to be on the wing, which will make us a better team.

the thing that concerns me is the centres where we will only have bailey (who imo is a second row) and goulding who is young and may not be ready as our 1st team centre for all season) but hasent colbon played at centre last year in the under 21's and played very well, so he could play at centre
Kat

Post by Kat »

God posted:
Hodgeson to fullback Richards to the wing Colbon out of the side :angry:

No thanks i would sooner have the home grown lads in the side anyday of the week.

Why not put Sam Reay or Stanton to fullback ater all whats the point of having these players when were not going to introduce them into the first team setup.
I like Colbon and think he's a good player. However, I don't think he's better than Richards or Calderwood, so for the sake of the team, then i'd rather have the better players over the home grown lads.

We shouldn't give first team places to home grown lads just because they're home grown, we should give them places because they deserve them.