Where has the money gone?

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
DaveO

Re: Where has the money go...

Post by DaveO »

ddtftf posted:
I agree he has had a big impact with the RL.He has alienated the club by twice going over the salary cap, and had the club points deducted leaving us struggling for survival, if we had been relegated that could have been the end of the club.
Whether getting relegated would have sunk the club is debatable but breaking the cap probably kept us in the SL in 2006 by bringing Fielden and Dobson in. It would not surprise me if it was a calculated risk and Mo was no doubt rather surprised the team put in some poor shows in 2007 that meant any points deduction this season was more serious a threat then he thought it would be.

In other words he may have factored in a big points deduction but wasn't expecting results like two defeats at home to HKR to make life difficult for the team.

Whether that is the case and if it is, whether that was morally acceptable are different questions but if you were so worried about relegation it could be argued you should be hailing Mo's brazen breaking of the cap to keep us in SL.

Don't forget Bradford also have broken the cap twice and had points deducted twice. As Nobby said in his recent interview he has seen people wanting to have a go at Wigan and the fact Bradford get away without much of a murmur suggests that is the case.

The man who should get a GONG is NOBBY for the miracle he pulled off saving the club from relegation.
It was Mo who sacked Millward and appointed Nobby. Did you think Millward was going to be so poor?

What Fraggle said about Mo's influence on the game as a whole is right. It was he who almost single handedly persuaded the Aussies to come over when they were running scared. Without SL and Sky I doubt we would have much to watch at all.

You might not like him but compared to Nigel Wood who is now in charge at the RFL Mo was a visionary.

Dave
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

DaveO posted:
ddtftf posted:
I agree he has had a big impact with the RL.He has alienated the club by twice going over the salary cap, and had the club points deducted leaving us struggling for survival, if we had been relegated that could have been the end of the club.
Whether getting relegated would have sunk the club is debatable but breaking the cap probably kept us in the SL in 2006 by bringing Fielden and Dobson in. It would not surprise me if it was a calculated risk and Mo was no doubt rather surprised the team put in some poor shows in 2007 that meant any points deduction this season was more serious a threat then he thought it would be.

In other words he may have factored in a big points deduction but wasn't expecting results like two defeats at home to HKR to make life difficult for the team.

Whether that is the case and if it is, whether that was morally acceptable are different questions but if you were so worried about relegation it could be argued you should be hailing Mo's brazen breaking of the cap to keep us in SL.

Don't forget Bradford also have broken the cap twice and had points deducted twice. As Nobby said in his recent interview he has seen people wanting to have a go at Wigan and the fact Bradford get away without much of a murmur suggests that is the case.

The man who should get a GONG is NOBBY for the miracle he pulled off saving the club from relegation.
It was Mo who sacked Millward and appointed Nobby. Did you think Millward was going to be so poor?

What Fraggle said about Mo's influence on the game as a whole is right. It was he who almost single handedly persuaded the Aussies to come over when they were running scared. Without SL and Sky I doubt we would have much to watch at all.

You might not like him but compared to Nigel Wood who is now in charge at the RFL Mo was a visionary.

Dave
I honestly feel the Wigan should never have been in the dire situation that we where in, and people forget that when we had great success we also had Jack Robinson on the board, and I can tell you that his Brother Jim Robinson working in Australia with the antique business, was instromental in acting as scout for Bret Kenny, Fergeson and Greg Dowling etc.I can also remember John Monie saying that he had never heard of Botica who Robinson brought to the club & look how good he was, the top points scorer to this date.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

MO has done some good things for the club. But the last 3 seasons were a disaster.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

thegimble posted:
MO has done some good things for the club. But the last 3 seasons were a disaster.
Sadly you are only judged on your presenr performance, and that applies to chairman and coaches.
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

There is another possible angle to all this. We may have more than £140K to spend on player salaries in 2008.

Why would Leneghan have said £140K?

Simple, whenever Wigan are linked with a player his salary goes up. Could it be our new chairman has made the statement to lower peoples expectations of what we may be able to offer?

The name of the game in the SL era is to assemble the best squad possible with limited funds. Therefore a well run club will negotiate hard on players salaries.
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
right cross

Post by right cross »

listen everyone , firstly il inheirated all of little mo's ballsed up contracts and there will be no new signings ,because all the money which we should of had ie dv, fletch and millard as had to be paid to the people who have had deferred contracts ,thats why we could not have chev walker withuot going once again over the salary cap.il said it will take 3 years to get this club back to were it belongs so c'mon people lets get behind this wigan lad not knock him ,we all just have to be patient, once mo's contracts have been rectyfied is when wrlfc can start to be great ,on and off the pitch .
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

right cross posted:
listen everyone , firstly il inheirated all of little mo's ballsed up contracts and there will be no new signings ,because all the money which we should of had ie dv, fletch and millard as had to be paid to the people who have had deferred contracts ,thats why we could not have chev walker withuot going once again over the salary cap.il said it will take 3 years to get this club back to were it belongs so c'mon people lets get behind this wigan lad not knock him ,we all just have to be patient, once mo's contracts have been rectyfied is when wrlfc can start to be great ,on and off the pitch .
I saw M Linsey in a brand new JAG yesterday in Ince, it was the model worth £75 000 not bad for a company car. Must have been his going away present.Merry Christmas
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

But did you see the Jag get out of Ince in tact?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Bear

Post by Bear »

ddtftf posted:
right cross posted:
I saw M Linsey in a brand new JAG yesterday in Ince, it was the model worth £75 000 not bad for a company car. Must have been his going away present.Merry Christmas
Thats asking for trouble :lol:
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!